Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have no idea what I want to do after the LC

Options
  • 31-03-2009 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

I'm in 5th year at the mo, and I've been thinking for a long time that I'll be doing Design Communication in CIT after my Leaving Cert. I've thought about it loads and have always stuck with that. Suddenly today, it clicked. I don't want to do it! I'm not sure if it's a lack of knowledge regarding the entries, or whatever, but the thought of it just puts me off straight away.

Graphic Design is a hobby of mine. I design logos, images, etc. through PS and Illustrator and I like doing it. I've not done it for a long while (don't have PS anymore) but I still like it regardless. I just don't know if this is the career for me. It's nice sticking with your hobbies and trying them out, but I'm really unsure. I don't think it'd be the best decision career wise. I'm not sure..

I'd like to do something fresh and interesting, I was considering joining the FCA and seeing from there should I join the Army, but it's only a minor thought.

I don't even know what to expect for replies, I just have to vent somewhere:p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Im right there with ya, except one thing. Im in 6th!

Ive put down a few science courses on my CAO, not much else, but tbh I dont really know where my interest lies. I kinda like Artsy type things as much as Science. And as for what to do after college, well I havent a clue. Start lookin now before its too late!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

Snap! Except I too am in sixth year.

I love French and History, have these in Trinity down first. But now i don't know. I don't think i'd be able for the oral aspect of the language and sure whats the point of a language if you can't talk it.

I have primary teaching down second but i don't know. And then a whole heap of random courses like arts and pure history.

Points wise from the mocks I'd get these but I don't know what I want to do. I'm just so confused at the moment. :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

From someone who did the leaving cert over a decade ago: if you don't know what you want to do take some time off to figure it out before diving into a course. Work, travel, whatever... don't waste your time or money on a course you might drop out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭LiNgWiStIkZ

Thanks for the advice guys & possibly gals:)

I'm still stuck though. After some thought, the design course in CIT just looks to be extremely boring. I'm looking for something different, fresh and new possibly. That's why the Army came to mind first!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

ohthebaby wrote: »
    Snap! Except I too am in sixth year.

I love French and History, have these in Trinity down first. But now i don't know. I don't think i'd be able for the oral aspect of the language and sure whats the point of a language if you can't talk it.

I have primary teaching down second but i don't know. And then a whole heap of random courses like arts and pure history.

Points wise from the mocks I'd get these but I don't know what I want to do. I'm just so confused at the moment. :-(

My way of looking at it is if you enjoy French and History, you are going to do well at them. LC oral French isn't really much to go by as regards how you can really speak it now and in the future, as primarily you are learning a lot of notes off. In college you have lots of facilities to help you learn and speak the language like the language lab, cultural french nights and also there's the erasmus year in France which would dramatically improve your oral French mostly and plus it would be a brilliant experience.

If you are good at French you should do it like History. I'm hoping to do French and Spanish in Trinity next year so hope to see you there. :)

• Advertisement

Thank djcervi, you've made me feel better! It really only is the oral holding me back. I'm just not confident at it. And i can't do the accent! But yeah as you said if I like it...

You're the first person I have come across with French in Trinity down too! Just as a matter of interest what do you hope to do after college?!

Thanks for your advice! And if I do decide to go with it, which i think i will at this moment, I hope to see you there too!!! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

ohthebaby wrote: »
    Thank djcervi, you've made me feel better! It really only is the oral holding me back. I'm just not confident at it. And i can't do the accent! But yeah as you said if I like it...

You're the first person I have come across with French in Trinity down too! Just as a matter of interest what do you hope to do after college?!

Thanks for your advice! And if I do decide to go with it, which i think i will at this moment, I hope to see you there too!!! :-)

Well I have European Studies in Trinity as my first choice which is French, Spanish, History and Politics. Although I'm not sure if i'll get the points for it (495), so I have French and Spanish as my second which is 450. tbh I have only chosen these courses as I know i'll do well in them as I love languages, but what I'm hoping to do after one of these is to live in France and/or Spain for a bit. With European Studies I hope I can get work within the EU parlament in Strasbourg or within businesses within the EU with mostly my multilingual skills and a basic knowledge of the EU. Also I'd like to do secondary teaching in Ireland, or the UK (if I had to) in French and Spanish.

btw don't worry about the accent. It's impossible to get a good French accent if you haven't spent a good while in France. My Irish accent is very obvious in mine. :pac:

I was thinking of European Studies too, but to be honest I wouldn't be confident taking up a second language. Plus I am a history nerd and the TSM suits that perfectly! And going by the mocks, if I keep working, i should get it.

I was thinking of teaching after too but was looking at working in Strasbourg too! We were in the parliament building two years ago, I think. It's magnificent! I got to speak in it! :-)

You have reassured me about the speaking. My irish accent is quite pronounced too I must say!

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭LiNgWiStIkZ

^^ :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement