Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork taxi drivers union refuses to allow non-national members

Options
  • 31-03-2009 11:25pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As part of an ongoing dispute arising out of it's own constitution, a Cork based taxi drivers union is refusing to allow non-national taxi drivers to join its membership. A move that has been strongly condemned by the Minister for Labour Billy Kelliher.

Although certain non-national drivers have been campaigning to join the local union branch for the past few years, there has been no movement by the branch, something which has been condemned by National Taxi Drivers Federation leader who is threatening to cut off relations with the errant branch unless they re-assess their membership policy.

Source: TV3

Heard this on the news tonight. Was stunned at the racism shown by the union. In this day and age, everyone has a right to be included in a union and work. Its not their fault the ranks are over flowing - they need money just like everyone else. The video on TV3 shows drivers on strike trying to block them from crossing the picket.

The union needs to cop the **** on, get with the times and accept that non-nationals have every right to work in Cork and join the taxi union as much as anybody else. The bullying and racism shown by the union, and the attitude from Mr. Coughlan when asked about this is truly shocking.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭ajsp.

Sad part is the taxi drivers sound proud to have the rule in place, I'd be ashamed to be in that union

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Am i missing something here?

Surely this is ripe for a court case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭tommmy1979

(some)Taxi drivers ?? Racist ??? NEVER !!!!:P:P:P:P

They're showing their true colours now !!

T

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Well now, that's unusual, because a Polish friend of mine who's a taxi driver, was protesting with the Irish drivers at Cork Airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭tommmy1979

ned78 wrote: »
    Well now, that's unusual, because a Polish friend of mine who's a taxi driver, was protesting with the Irish drivers at Cork Airport.

And your point is ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

tommmy1979 wrote: »
    And your point is ?

That it's not racist but it is color prejudice?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

tommmy1979 wrote: »
    And your point is ?

The African guy in the video even says that the discrimination is against "coloured people". The article says the Cork taxi drivers' union constitution says no to non nationals, but I wonder if it is the case that English/Polish/French white non nationals can join, but Africans cannot. Either way, it is fairly shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

On the news report the weird Elvis looking dude said it was all non-nationals that are prohibited from joining. Every day the taxi drivers try and endear themselves to the rest of us :rolleyes:

D-gen do you think that Elvis guy was actually elected as leader? Can't say I'd be too confident to have him representing my union.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Spook_ie wrote: »
    That it's not racist but it is color prejudice?

Which is racist in itself.

I strongly suspect it is to do with colour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

What a load of #$&* grr! Ah well they get what they deserve tbh!

An update from TV3, mind you ( not making excuses as 2 wrongs don't make a right ) look at the bit around 1.02 in, the driver of that Passat? would want asking about his attempt to run a picket over, the car actualy hits yer mans legs!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

jesus, and look at the head on yer man Derry Coughlan, a bad [bigoted] elvis/delboy trotter..ignorant thicks the lot of em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Spook_ie wrote: »
    look at the bit around 1.02 in, the driver of that Passat? would want asking about his attempt to run a picket over, the car actualy hits yer mans legs!

Blocking a car from going about it's business is hardly a peaceful protest. Also note how the picket kicks the car as it passes, that's hardly peaceful either.

Trojan911 wrote: »
    I strongly suspect it is to do with colour.

As far as I know, it is, but on a whole different level to the one you'd expect. There are unwritten rules about how to queue at ranks, and not to overtake on the way up the airport hill, and from what I've been told, the only people not co-operating with these rules and breaking them time and time again are the guys complaining in the videos, hence why they're not allowed to join the union *

*as far as I know.

Blocking a car from going about it's business is hardly a peaceful protest. Also note how the picket kicks the car as it passes, that's hardly peaceful either.

I'd be with you Trojan. Thet won't let them into the union but still want them not to pass the picket line!!! You can't have it both ways

ajsp. wrote: »
    I'd be with you Trojan. Thet won't let them into the union but still want them not to pass the picket line!!! You can't have it both ways

Eh, isn't the whole point of a picket line to disrupt, and block people from entering where possible without resorting to violence?

Eh, isn't the whole point of a picket line to disrupt, and block people from entering where possible without resorting to violence?

It is but you can't refuse people entry to the union and still expect them to obey the picket line, it's double standards.

ajsp. wrote: »
    It is but you can't refuse people entry to the union and still expect them to obey the picket line, it's double standards.

The whole point of the picket line is to prohibit the industry for a period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭mark1974

jesus, and look at the head on yer man Derry Coughlan, a bad [bigoted] elvis/delboy trotter..ignorant thicks the lot of em.

Very funny. LOL:D:D:D

• Advertisement

As far as I know, it is, but on a whole different level to the one you'd expect. There are unwritten rules about how to queue at ranks, and not to overtake on the way up the airport hill, and from what I've been told, the only people not co-operating with these rules and breaking them time and time again are the guys complaining in the videos, hence why they're not allowed to join the union *

*as far as I know.

So... the only guys breaking the rules time and again are those two guys complaining? Well why not just block the two of them from the union instead of all African taxi drivers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭wildsaffy

Where can I get a taxi? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

*as far as I know.

It is strange that you should say that, I saw the very thing happening in Carlow last week, a guy (black) jumped the whole queue of taxis (about 20 in queue) and was trying to pull in at the front of the rank. There was absolute mayhem - taxi drivers shouting and roaring and all kinds of crap going on.
    Have no idea what happened as I was just passing by in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

DM-BM wrote: »
    Ah that would explain a lot, and these inbred ****tards obviously think that their "unwritten rule" is more important than the rules of the road.
    Aye. It seems that you must bide by their "unwritten rule" to get into their uninon. Who'd think that breaking their rules would stop you from entering their union?
    Illkillya wrote: »
    So... the only guys breaking the rules time and again are those two guys complaining? Well why not just block the two of them from the union instead of all African taxi drivers?
    How many African drivers are there? Also, it doesn't surprise me that it only takes two bad apples to f**k it up for the rest of the lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Next time I go to a rank I am going to ignore the first few cars in the line and get one further back....just to see the reaction of the others taxi men. I am perfectly entitled to do that but I wonder how they would react to it.

the_syco wrote: »
    Aye. It seems that you must bide by their "unwritten rule" to get into their uninon. Who'd think that breaking their rules would stop you from entering their union?

How many African drivers are there? Also, it doesn't surprise me that it only takes two bad apples to f**k it up for the rest of the lads.

It doesn't matter... even if there is a disproportionately high amount of black people who do not abide by the rules, that is NOT just cause for banning the entire race. That is blatant racial discrimination, no different from "No Irish Need Apply" notices. You can deny entry to individuals who are known to break the rules, but not impose blanket ban against a group who are entitled to work here and doing an honest job. A union should be the very institution to fight for the rights of workers, not crush them. The "two bad apples" logic does NOT apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Think its time for the Gardai to interview Elvis on the grounds his comments could incite racial attacks on non-national taxi drivers. Pity this has been missed by the boys in blue yet again.

MC

If a pedestrian was crossing the road in front of you and stops in the middle of the street in front of your car to remonstrate with you about your choice of car, the fact you wear glasses or whatever looney thing they like, WOULD NOT be justifiable cause for assaulting someone, if they were leaning into your car and remonstrating with you and you felt threatened, then you could drive off but NOT at them, as to the kick I would have to, if someone tried to mow me down.
    Proper course of action would have been to report him to the Gards ( I would assume that even though not in shot, they were in attendance ) and have him charged with obstruction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Jeebus H Christ

Just an observation, but a person cannot be a "non-national". They may not be an Irish national but they do hold the nationality of some country. Foreign national is probably the term people are fishing for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I cannot believe that in Ireland in 2009 this sort of 21st century apartheid is happening! Surely the Ombudsman has to investigate and take a decison against the saiid union. There have been tribunals initiated for less serious matters.

Advertisement