Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork taxi drivers union refuses to allow non-national members

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Spook_ie wrote: »
    If a pedestrian was crossing the road in front of you and stops in the middle of the street in front of your car to remonstrate with you about your choice of car, the fact you wear glasses or whatever looney thing they like, WOULD NOT be justifiable cause for assaulting someone, if they were leaning into your car and remonstrating with you and you felt threatened, then you could drive off but NOT at them, as to the kick I would have to, if someone tried to mow me down.
    Proper course of action would have been to report him to the Gards ( I would assume that even though not in shot, they were in attendance ) and have him charged with obstruction.

Any stranger stopping traffic in the middle of the street, irrespective of whether they are remonstrating in front of your car or in the window, is behaving in a threatening manner. It comes under the Public Order Act.

The picket, from my viewing of the clip, was behaving in a threatening manner. From what I saw he was staring out the driver and then shouted something that sounded like or similar to "Scum". He then made a stepping movement away from the car & then stopped again as the driver engaged. I would have felt threatened in this scenario.

I'm sure if the picket felt he was acting peacfully & non threatening he would have reported this attempted "mowing down" to the Gardai, if they were in attendance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

grenache wrote: »
    I cannot believe that in Ireland in 2009 this sort of 21st century apartheid is happening! Surely the Ombudsman has to investigate and take a decison against the saiid union. There have been tribunals initiated for less serious matters.

Im disgraced to be from Cork if my fellow countymen act like this. Its like something out of 1920's in the South of the US. A union refusing black people to join, its so sickening that people can be so hatful of another person cause they have black skin.

Well if there is a white supremecy movement starting in Cork with the country elvis impersonator as our leader and supreme example of how perfect the white race can be...sign me up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I'm tempted to only get into taxis driven by black drivers at ranks now, but that'd probably get them in more trouble.

Actually, on a related note, getting a taxi back from town the other night, it was about 3am so they were hard to come by-my friends and I flagged one but when it pulled up on the other side of the road another group of people legged it over. The driver sent them away and waited for us, sound man we think. Thank him when we get into the car and he said "It was nothing to do with that, they were Polish" :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Trojan911 wrote: »
    Any stranger stopping traffic in the middle of the street, irrespective of whether they are remonstrating in front of your car or in the window, is behaving in a threatening manner. It comes under the Public Order Act.

The picket, from my viewing of the clip, was behaving in a threatening manner. From what I saw he was staring out the driver and then shouted something that sounded like or similar to "Scum". He then made a stepping movement away from the car & then stopped again as the driver engaged. I would have felt threatened in this scenario.

I'm sure if the picket felt he was acting peacfully & non threatening he would have reported this attempted "mowing down" to the Gardai, if they were in attendance.

Still wouldn't give you the right to drive your car at them, excessive force and all that

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Still wouldn't give you the right to drive your car at them, excessive force and all that

Under duress and an honest held belief that there is a fear of imminent attack on your life with no other escape route, then yes, drive your car at them. It is a justifiable & reasonable action.

However, the driver, in this case would struggle to justify knocking someone down as the threat was not imminent but was there and he had several options to escape.

Anyway we could bounce legalities & opinions back & forth but it still dosen't address the real issue and that this appears to be a blatant act of racism by "White Cork Locals" against black people in Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Dan Dare

Derry Coughlan said "we can only take in local Cork men". What is a non local Corkman? What about other people who live on this island. Is this The People's Republic Of Cork? I thought we were part of the EU. The chap needs a makeover and the gift of a brain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

mark1974 wrote: »
    <modsnip></modsnip>
    If you don't have evidence for that then you could be accused of the same thing. I'd suggest you post evidence or retract it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Simple way to stop the overcharging is to take the receipt they are meant to print for each journey.

MC

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Seems I actually have to say this.

Next unfounded remark,insult or aggressive remark and theres a one week ban waiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Cable

Ludo wrote: »
    Next time I go to a rank I am going to ignore the first few cars in the line and get one further back....just to see the reaction of the others taxi men. I am perfectly entitled to do that but I wonder how they would react to it.

They wont let you. Best place to see this practice is on parnell place. Try "picking" a taxi there. I have a few times. Either cause the cause first car looked grubby (and im sorry if that sounds picky but taxis arent cheap, i can at least expect comfort) or the driver was smokin a cigar out the window ( Im a non smoker, the kind that even a whiff of smoke irrates me). I've tried been selective there a few times, ended up walking away from the rank. Some of them dont even want the business if its not worht their while. I was asked by one guy where I was going, which was rochestown, and his reply was next car.

There are a few decent drivers around Cork. And only a few. And the service you get here as opposed to other places. Unless Im jsut getting lucky and getting all the good drivers the other places I visit.

I remember watching that report and gettin so p***ed off. Surely there's some legality involved there? Excluding all non cork drivers? I know one English driver I use quite often, asked him about it. He said he wasnt part of the association cause he wasnt left join. He has an Irish passport and living in Cork 12 years. Now I dunno how true the reasons are for behind not being left join but he said applications were open to Cork drivers only.

Has there been any more updates on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Cable wrote: »
    They wont let you. Best place to see this practice is on parnell place. Try "picking" a taxi there. I have a few times. Either cause the cause first car looked grubby (and im sorry if that sounds picky but taxis arent cheap, i can at least expect comfort) or the driver was smokin a cigar out the window ( Im a non smoker, the kind that even a whiff of smoke irrates me). I've tried been selective there a few times, ended up walking away from the rank. Some of them dont even want the business if its not worht their while. I was asked by one guy where I was going, which was rochestown, and his reply was next car.

Yeah I figure not taking the first taxi would cause complete mayhem in the rank...but you are perfectly entitled to do it.

A trip from Parnell place to Rochestown is not worth their while??? Well for one thing they are not allowed to refuse you like that and also he musn't need to do much business if they are turning down a decent trip like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Cable

Ya, it's not cheap. Well its more than 12 quid anyway. Was he waiting for someone from carrigaline or to head to dublin or something?! And it's not the first time this has happened. I've even gotten grief off some drivers for getting a taxi from Douglas out to my place in rochestown. Its about 6 or 7 quid. This isnt me being lazy, I might just have stuff with me that I dont fancy walking with. I mean theyre out there and back in less than 10 minutes with an extra few quid in the pocket? What really gets me is these same guys will complain about there being so little work cause there's so many licences on the road, which of course there is but that thats another issue. Id have thought they'd be jumping at any job they can take and been grateful for it.

And the association is loosing out big time not letting some of these "non nationals" join. Some of the best service Ive gotten from a few of them when I was working nights in town. Very chatty, very friendly and very upbeat. Now I know theres cork guys like that, and not all "non nationals" are like that, Im just saying this is the kinda crowd you want affiliated with your group, the kinda people that help paint a better picture of the group

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

jesus, and look at the head on yer man Derry Coughlan, a bad [bigoted] elvis/delboy trotter..ignorant thicks the lot of em.

He is an actual Elvis impersonator - been doing it for years...
    ludo wrote:
    Yeah I figure not taking the first taxi would cause complete mayhem in the rank...but you are perfectly entitled to do it.

We did it a few weeks ago - the first cab outside Roches was a crock . The chosen driver was happy enough (though he did make a feeble attempt to say no).

parsi wrote: »
    He is an actual Elvis impersonator - been doing it for years...

Well, I guess, he must be "all shook up", after the recent attempts of non Corkonians trying to join the ranks.

He should also polish up on his version of "Jailhouse Rock".

BOOM BOOM!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Parnell place has always had a strict system though, if you rock up and there's more than one taxi there you'll be directed to the "correct" one. I've never tried to chose one so don't know what would happen.

I usually try to hail a nice car from the street - it's my money I'm spending so I like to chose the car if possible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I haven't gotten a taxi in a while, but when I did I always picked my can like Scien. Being told I was in the "wrong" car was very, very rare, and when it happened I just told them I didn't care; I was never booted out. It could be different these days though, the modern lot seem to like the cartel approach more than the older bunch. Which is saying something!

Advertisement