Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to study computing

Options
  • 31-03-2009 11:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

but I'm thinking about dropping down from Honours maths as I'm doing 8 subjects though I still always get Bs or C1s in tests and exams.

I do like Maths but I find I spend all my time working on essays for other subjects (esp Geog which I was told it's quite easy to get high points in) and don't have as much time to spend on maths.:(

Should I concentrate more time on maths as it's going to be better for the degree I want to do or is is best to just concentrate on points from all other subjects too?

I also can't decide whether to do Computer Applications or the business and computing degree in DCU but I was told points could go up for both and I don't want to miss out.

How do others deal with the time needed for Honours Maths without neglecting other subjects? There aren't enough hours in the day sometimes!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Dante

I'm kinda in the same boat as you, I've been told that Computer Enterprise is less maths orientated so I've put that as my main realistic choice on the CAO!

If you've been doing honours maths since 5th year then you shouldn't really be have to worry too much about missing whats relevant to your course as you wouldn't miss much dropping now with only a few weeks left......sure I've done pass maths since 1st year yet I'm still applying for it! :)
    IMO you'd be better off dropping and concentrating on an A at ordinary & your other subjects as both those courses only need a C3 at ordinary AFAIK.

EDIT: I didn't read your post properly but oh well :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Gagalady

Yeh but there's maths on both of the degrees so I thought it would be better to concentrate on that!!

I think I'm just freaking out and that's why I'm thinking of dropping down but I think it would be better to get a C in Honours maths than an A in Ordinary.

I did a few papers in Ordinary and I'd deffo ace them ;) as you cover most everything in Honours and it's not very challenging if you've done Honours maths for years.

Do you know anyone doing either degree? I was just there on Open Day and chatted to a few students in the labs and they said maths can be hard but okay once you work at it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

From people I've talked to who are doing computers in college, most of it is completely different to secondary school maths.

I'm doing Ordinary Maths (couldn't hack the higher) and hopefully come September I'll be doing Computer Science in DIT.:cool:

I was told some parts are the same, probability for example.

But I have heard it's taught a lot differently than LC maths - you have to do a lot of the work yourself and work things out!

Why did you choose DIT? I have that down too but DCU first even though it's further away from me but I liked the vibe on the campus and the labs looked impressive.

I might try to sort out accommodation close to college - but then I'd need to get a parttime job too but it would be cool to leave away from home!! :D

Gagalady wrote: »
    I was told some parts are the same, probability for example.

But I have heard it's taught a lot differently than LC maths - you have to do a lot of the work yourself and work things out!

Why did you choose DIT? I have that down too but DCU first even though it's further away from me but I liked the vibe on the campus and the labs looked impressive.

I might try to sort out accommodation close to college - but then I'd need to get a parttime job too but it would be cool to leave away from home!! :D

Ye supposely taught completely differently.

Well a few reasons to why I chose DIT;
    1) Computer Science course there is suppose to be the best in the country and is thought in a different order to other courses (something like that).
    2) It's a 10 min walk from my gaff (around the corner from the school I'm in now)
    3) Suppose to be good craic.

:D

• Advertisement

Well I guess that's pretty handy and no rent to pay and free laundry and food! :D

Have you any computing experience? I don't know anything!! Wish we had it in school. They have it for A levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Iv heard that DCU produces the best computer programmers that go pretty much straight into employment but meh you can say the same about every other CS college i guess. Have DCU down as my 3rd choice if my two physiotherapy subjects fall through. Thing is though that taking CS could prove to be alot more beneficial in terms of future employment then physiotherapy. God damn recession >_<.

OP depends on what you want to see yourself as, either a computer programmer etc or in the businessy field of computers. At the moment the points are at 300 and i say the most it ll rise by is 400 at worst and i very much doubt it will shoot that high tbh.

I don't mind if it goes up to 400 - I hope to get more than that (I'm aiming for 500!) I heard there are 300 places on DC121 (CA) that's why the points aren't that high but I don't know if that's the same this year. Damn points system!!

The jobs situation sounds good and is a bonus but I've just always been interested in computers so it makes sense. I don't know about the business side of things - I guess if I were more interested in business I might but I don't think it's for me.

My favourite subject is English though and I like languages too (but I'm not very good at them). Focusing mainly on maths now as I figure that's the best thing if I'm going to go into computing!

Better get to bed - have to get out of habit of studying late!!

Gagalady wrote: »

Have you any computing experience? I don't know anything!! Wish we had it in school. They have it for A levels.

Have my ECDL:cool:, done work experience back in 4th year for 3 weeks, one doing web design and development, and the other two doing maintenance and stuff. made a website for a competition in ITT back in 4th year aswell.

And like I know what most things are inside a computer, what they do, etc...

So I know the basics to start me off with.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

comp applications in DCU is highly regarded in Ireland, and is known as more hands on than other courses.

• Advertisement
Advertisement