Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leak caused by faulty tiles

Options
  • 01-04-2009 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭

This time six years I bought and moved into a brand new house.
    Had tiles supplied and fitted around the bath by a shop in the town centre, which are still trading. Recently have noticed a damp patch on cieling in the diningroom - under the bathroom. Got the builder that I bought the house from out to the house. H eexamined it and said the tiles were fitted incorrectly. The tiles cost E175, and the labour E225. Is this a big repair job? I know its a long time ago but do I have any right to back to the shop and complain?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Can't speak about your specific problem as I don't know what they have missed but in our case they had not added the right material below the (missing rubber layer iirc) tiles. This meant pulling out every single tile (some got broken in the process), adding the material and putting the tiles back in again.

Now if the water is coming through the roof I'd say you'll probably need to dry it out properly using a machine and check that there is no other damage (thinking fungus/rotten beams here mainly).

Hence I'd guess around 300 Euro for the tile job (all the work to remove and add back but at a cheaper rate due to economy) and then the cost for the drying it out and inspection (no clue).

You might get some come back to the store but six years also means you're not likely to get it all paid (you have used them for six years after all). Best bet is to get a written statement from the builder that the tiles are incorrectly and that due to this it caused the water damage. This will then be the basis for you to approach the shop (you do have the invoice of the labour right?) for compensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Still have all original invoices of work carried out. Kinda guessed wouldnt be entitled to compensation but if they had been fitted correctly in the first [lace damage wouldnt have occured.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Isn’t there a rule, by the Statutes of Limitation that you have 6 years to complain after that your one your own. It maybe hard to agrue with the shop as 6 years is a long time .
    If they were fitted incorrectly how come they didn’t leak before now? Could it be wear and tear between getting in and out of the bath or shower? He could be hard to put your case to the shop and as for damage to your ceiling your house insurance should cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭coco06

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    Isn’t there a rule, by the Statutes of Limitation that you have 6 years to complain after that your one your own. 6 years is a long time and it was a new house so maybe settlement on the houses foundations caused the tiles to move and leak.
    If they were fitted incorrectly how come they didn’t leak before now? Could it be wear and tear between getting in and out of the bath or shower? He could be hard to put your case to the shop and as for damage to your ceiling your house insurance should cover it.

This is what i would think happened from seeing it a lot of times. The thing is, it is not the tiles that moved. Settlement in the house may have caused the bath to drop even a mill or two. This would result in water getting in between tiles and bath and down onto the ceiling.

So either there was a bath seal used (which is useless, as this is stuck to the wall, and if the bath drops it is still stuck to the wall and creates a gap.) or a gap formed from settlement.

In terms of fixing it, the proper way would be to put a baton underneath the bath at the same time trying to raise the bath back that one mill or what ever it is. take the bottom row of tiles off, if you think it is leaking from under the bottom tiles and not the side i.e. angle where the two tiles meet.
    Let it dry out. then put a bead of silicone around the affected area.

Your bath with the batton underneath and now a silicone seal will not move again, replace row of tiles and then put another silicone seal between bath and tiles.. do not use a bath seal.

A tiler would do this repair job for about €100-150 but might not put the batton in place.

As for claiming compensation, the shop will blame the leak on settlement id guess.

sorry should have asked you first before went ranting.. :rolleyes: what did the builder mean when he said they were fitted incorrectly??

Advertisement