Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie and Facebook

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I imagine and hope facebook and zuckerberg will let the admins run the place as they see fit and only introduce changes once the admins agree that it would be beneficial to the site (like the new theme which I think is pretty cool).

Ahahahaha. Hey the word gullible is missing from my dictionary. Can you check if it's in yours?
    Jules wrote: »
    Can we lock this thread please, its gotten completely out of hand. Some people need to pull their heads outta their arses and see the glass half full, not empty.

Oh sorry. I thought this was the Feedback forum not the Facefúck forum. :rolleyes: Sorry. I'll bow and scrape and doff my cap to our new masters like a good little minion.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

javaboy wrote: »
    Ahahahaha. Hey the word gullible is missing from my dictionary. Can you check if it's in yours?

Oh sorry. I thought this was the Feedback forum not the Facefúck forum. :rolleyes: Sorry. I'll bow and scrape and doff my cap to our new masters like a good little minion.

Wow. Facefúck. Well done. Do you spell microsoft with a dollar sign as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Jules wrote: »
    Can we lock this thread please, its gotten completely out of hand. Some people need to pull their heads outta their arses and see the glass half full, not empty.
    No, I think people are entitled to air their views, even if they're wrong.

This is a good move for everyone.

Wow. Facefúck. Well done. Do you spell microsoft with a dollar sign as well?

Ha ha. Very funny. At least Microsoft don't pretend to be your best buddy while they screw you. You know where you stand with MS.

bOards.ie <-the new logo including freshly reamed ass.
    sceptre wrote: »
    No, I think people are entitled to air their views, even if they're wrong.

Wow that's not at all patronising. :rolleyes:
    This is a good move for everyone.

Danke schön.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

if this turns out to be true I cannot see it going well for the CT Forum.

but on the pluss side,

AT LEAST ITS NOT F*CKIN TWITTER, useselesses showeress of arsssseholleeesss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

if this turns out to be true I cannot see it going well for the CT Forum.

but on the pluss side,

AT LEAST ITS NOT F*CKIN TWITTER, useselesses showeress of arsssseholleeesss
    http://tweet.ie/

tweet is much better:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

Hi Lads,

Just a quick note from a non mod.

I guess I can see a lot of people aren't happy with the decision here, and I suppose a face to face meeting with the higher up lads would have probably helped but what can you do now.

I for one like facebook, especially being away it's an easy way to keep in contact etc. Looking into developing some facebook apps myself if I ever get the time!!!!

It's obvious too some of the lads mouthing off here (NOT ALL SO DONT SHOOT ME) are envious of the nice pile of cash ye've gotten. I am obviously too!!!! (Can I have some money) :D

Anyways I was hoping for some site improvements and this I guess is a whopper, only time will tell if it is the right way forward I just hope that the help and support we've all gotten and given here will keep going.

People are talking about subscriptions etc? I didnt know anything about subscriptions??? What was all that about??

Anyways, concerns would be, a massive spider going through all the information that's been up here and filtering, mods leaving and the place just getting messy, anonymous posts were very helpful to a lot of people and I hope that continues. Please please please dont bring fee based services into it or any of the beboesque crap that's creeping into facebook, hugs, cupcakes, blah blah blah.

Anyways if you're looking for a new mod sign me up, I'm sorry to see the lads going here they were pretty straight down the line and did their job wel (and probably should be rewarded in some way) I guess they signed up thinking things were going in a different direction.

Best of luck with it anyways lads, I hope there'll be a few improvements and not too much censorship :)

//Gary

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Anyways if you're looking for a new mod sign me up

I knew all that sucking up was going somewhere.

This is the end of Boards as we know it.:(

javaboy wrote: »
    I knew all that sucking up was going somewhere.

This is the end of Boards as we know it.:(

Leave me out of your rant, I'm only voicing my opinion!

Hi Lads,

Just a quick note from a non mod.

I guess I can see a lot of people aren't happy with the decision here, and I suppose a face to face meeting with the higher up lads would have probably helped but what can you do now.

I for one like facebook, especially being away it's an easy way to keep in contact etc. Looking into developing some facebook apps myself if I ever get the time!!!!

It's obvious too some of the lads mouthing off here (NOT ALL SO DONT SHOOT ME) are envious of the nice pile of cash ye've gotten. I am obviously too!!!! (Can I have some money) :D

Anyways I was hoping for some site improvements and this I guess is a whopper, only time will tell if it is the right way forward I just hope that the help and support we've all gotten and given here will keep going.

People are talking about subscriptions etc? I didnt know anything about subscriptions??? What was all that about??

Anyways, concerns would be, a massive spider going through all the information that's been up here and filtering, mods leaving and the place just getting messy, anonymous posts were very helpful to a lot of people and I hope that continues. Please please please dont bring fee based services into it or any of the beboesque crap that's creeping into facebook, hugs, cupcakes, blah blah blah.

Anyways if you're looking for a new mod sign me up, I'm sorry to see the lads going here they were pretty straight down the line and did their job wel (and probably should be rewarded in some way) I guess they signed up thinking things were going in a different direction.

Best of luck with it anyways lads, I hope there'll be a few improvements and not too much censorship :)

//Gary

Gary you have got my vote , you seem very clued into how the system works and I can see great things for you in the future .I think you should take Javaboy's position as AH mod . You may be able to guide the people in such a way it improves that forum .

I have a subscription , but to be honest it is more about giving a little back to the community for what it has done to/for me (turned me into a boards addict / met interesting lovely people )

I for one believe there should be more categories and better placement of forums with different guidelines .

Can we haz applications ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

or any of the beboesque crap that's creeping into facebook, hugs, cupcakes, blah blah blah.
    What the hell's wrong with Bebo?!

I met my last two girlfriends there!

And at least they're not all finicky about "writing proper English", ffs! :rolleyes:

And at least they're not all finicky about "writing proper English", ffs! :rolleyes:
    Writing proper england like what i used to does when i was a children

Put this on your profile if you know of anyone who died with a peg leg with a ginger beard between there thighs
    arrg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

</3

Hahaha, maybe it was the fact that I got a bit older? The average age on it now must be about 16???
    chatbox wrote:
    Gary you have got my vote , you seem very clued into how the system works and I can see great things for you in the future .

eh thanks, and ya I was thinking a techie forum, not something where I'd probably end up in trouble :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Hahaha, maybe it was the fact that I got a bit older? The average age on it now must be about 16???
    And your point is? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

I hate Facebook :(

I'm a bit worried but sure only time will tell.

Really hope you lot haven't just sold us out :(

(And I really don't like that thing about it connecting to your facebook automatically....it should be people's choice to keep parts of their own lives seperate.)

Oh dear . . .

eh thanks, and ya I was thinking a techie forum, not something where I'd probably end up in trouble :D
    Oh You wouldn't end up in trouble , just say you are drunk and all will be forgiven
    And your point is? :confused:
    You have no point , you are all talk and persona .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

WAIT

When did bebo become uncool?

There about a year and a half ago, along with the colour green and boy racers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,459 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

My god this is all so geekish its unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

Calm down everyone. It's pretty unlikely they will get this past the EU competition commission.

54038_f260.jpg
    eagle eye wrote: »
    My god this is all so geekish its unreal.
    well that is a matter opinion:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Going out to the minority of users who seem mildly sceptical of the new deal: look, we value your feedback folks, going forward we see this as a real enhancement to our current situation, and we know that this will benefit the majority of the userbase. Give it time and it will grow on you even more than the old boards.ie site did, don't worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

At least it isn't Rupert Murdoch's MySpace.. :O

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

:confused:

not sure what to think. whoever said that at least when it was daft, it was still an irish site, i'd probably agree there.

but anyhow, should be interesting to see how this all pans out regardless...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭sioda

I for one as an ordinary subscriber am appaled at this. Selling out to someone ok but to Facebook who are in the pocket of microsoft no way.

51% thus NO realistic control retained seems a bit ridiculous. I subcribe to boards as I felt it was contributing to something small and familyesque for want of a better analogy. First thing can I get instructions on how to cancel my recurring subscription as there is obviously no need for the funds anymore.

As much as I like using boards I cant help but feel this is the start of the end for it as a irish entity and it will just become another arm of facebook.

I hope this really is a over acted and way over worked april fools prank

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

ok, i've hada chance to think about it and I have to say tha tI'm very very sad about this.

I've been here since the beginning of quake.ie and could boards and it was always a fun community. I've never signed up to bebo or facebook or any other commercial "community" because I think they are a load of crap tbh.

Dev, you really should have asked the mods their opinions of this.
    I quit as mod of webmaster because I saw my career as a conflict of interests. This time its a matter of principle. Sorry lads, I wont be attending any future mods beers and I'm quitting as catmod/mod.

best of luck with the future. If the users thought the mods were harsh before, the guidelines for face* communities are a lot less forgiving and I for one do not relish the opportunity to**** over my fellow boardsies in return for a paycheck.

really really am disappointed with the admins on this one :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

At some stage i was going to subscribe to boards and pay a subscription fee, but with this i won't(you most likely don't need my €50). :)
    When i read Dev's statement yesterday, i thought "hmm this could be a good thing" but on second thought i hate it. My boards and facebook are different, i am on facebook but i hate it. The applications get more ridiculous by the day.
    Boards.ie is Irish, facebook will never understand what boards means to us individuals who post here daily, they will not understand our colloquialism and general banter.
    Forums will be heavily moderated and privacy(boards vs Facebook) will be non existing, if i know the people on boards can see my profile and pictures from facebook i will be less inclined to post in threads for fear of being heavily criticised...
    I for one will continue using boards.ie(lurking in threads NOT posting) as opposed to face.boards.ie
    Goodluck guys, thank you for all the good memorable moments over the last two years. At the end of the day money talks, so Javaboy, Orestes and all of us who are not happy with this will go fcuk ourselves :D

Advertisement