Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hows this shopping list looking

• 01-04-2009 1:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭

Hello folks, been reading through this forum for the past few days looking to see what recommended healthy foods are etc, im planning on a strict gym and diet routine to lose a couple of stone, im 27 and male btw. Heres what ive come up, obviously not all for one day :) any suggestion or comments welcome, anything essential im missing or have too much of, thanks in advance.

BREAKFAST
    PORRIDGE
    WHOLEWHEAT BROWN BREAD
    EGGS
    NON FAT MILK

DINNER
    SALMON/TROUT
    CHICKEN
    WHOLEWHEAT PASTA
    BROCOLLI/CAULIFLOWER/CARROTS/PEAS

SNACKS
    WHOLEWHEAT PITTA
    TUNA STEAKS
    RYVITA
    WHOLEWHEAT BROWN BREAD
    BEANS

OTHER
    APPLES/BANANAS/ORANGES/GRAPES
    ALMONDS
    LOTS OF WATER

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

You forgot the biscuits & cheese.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

bump, any opinions at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

overall it looks good .. make sure the buy lots of different vegetables and a good variety of fruit - try varying the fruit aswell .. a lot of people only eat apples + oranges + bananas but berries are great as they are low calorie and high fiber - raspberries, strawberries, blueberries etc .. Porridge is good and also cheap .. make sure to have plenty lean protein sources also - like fish, + turkey .. you should have lean red meat also ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

A bit more salad veg as eating tuna alone in a pitta will be very basic. Try some ricket or good old lettuce, spring onions or red onions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭*Honey*

I would also suggest adding more veg - you can make a fab stir fry from a huge combo of veg, add a chicken breast, some pork fillet or turkey fillet and you've got an excellent dinner. I'd have more veg than fruit but I'd suggest you add more of this ... fibre is good!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

BREAKFAST
    Your options are all great. If you're attempting to lower carbs, or improve ratio of protein:carbs, I'd suggested adding a scoop of protein powder to your porridge (after it's cooked & slightly cooled) or leave out the wholewheat bread.

DINNER
    Great options again, think seasonal veg and frozen veg.
    Again, if low-carbing, the pasta could go.

SNACKS
    Quite a bit of carbs here and I think you need more good fats, ie nuts (peanuts, walnuts, peanut butter, nut butters), oils, avocado.

OTHER
    Just be careful of the carb/sugar content of fruits.

Note: above advice is coming from a low-carb diet point of view (in case you hadn't noticed!). I'd say try your new diet with your regular level of carbs and then slowly cut out the carbs if you stop seeing progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,950 ✭✭✭billyhead

You forgot steak (beef).

Advertisement