Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viola lessons needed...

Options
  • 01-04-2009 2:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hello,
    I am looking for viola lessons for my 2 boys, aged 10 and 11.. The older boy has played viola for 3 years, the younger for 2. They both played in the school Orchestra (in the U.S) and we are moving to Dublin (Monkstown) this summer. I am also interested iin information on where I could hire instruments for them for a year or so.

Thanks in advance,
    Anna.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

Hi I don't know much about string tecahers but on the Paul Ryan woodwind website there is a tab about teachers for all instruments, you could try there! As for instruments you could try The Educational Music Services, Merrion Square, Dublin. They have the rent system but as you pay off the rent your also paying off the instrument so if you decide to purchase it you have around half of it paid off! Look them up they also do all of the music grade books they might need!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 US_Mom

Hi Tootyflutty,
    Many thanks for your reply. I will check out both sites!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭-lala-

The dublin youth orchestra has an instrument loan scheme which includes violas (www.dyo.ie).

As for lessons, try the Royal Irish Academy of Music or the DIT Conservatory of Music and Drama, both have excellent viola teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

Oh yeah, forgot about dyo! Actually most large youth orchestras do loan schemes and even the Irish Association of Youth Orchestras (iayo.ie) have their own instrument bank, or names of someone that should have some!
    Same goes for all the usual schools of music, it would all depend on location in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 londongirl

Hi there Anna. I am a professional viola player (member of the RTE National Symphony Orchestra) and have lots of teaching experience (used to teach at the Royal Academy of Music in London before I got the job in the orchestra here)
    So if you still need a teacher for your 2 boys then get in touch. (I'm not too far from Monkstown)
    I can also help with info on viola hire and orchestras for them to play in if thats what you want for them too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement