Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[SFIV] pros and rage quitters?

Options
  • 01-04-2009 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

been playing quite a bit of SFIV on the PS3. What I've been noticing from online play is that I'll either be playing against someone who knows every combo and just turtles constantly (vega is the worst :(), or I'll play against a n00b who just rage quits, or kicks me after one match? Even on normal unranked games which I don't understand.

I'm just wondering where all the beginners are like me? I would of thought the ranking system would of filtered out a lot of the better players by now so I'd be playing against people at my level. The quitting and kicking though can't be avoided I guess. I hope they introduce some penalty though for quitting out of a match before it is over.

Also, in ranked games, i've been matched up sometimes against guys with like 4000 points, when I have like nil. What gives, I thought you'd only be allowed to fight ranked games against people with the same ranking as you.

Anyone else find this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

I rage quit once, but in fairness i was really drunk at the time and it was like 3am. Also it was only a player match.
    I generally stick to player matches as the whole BP e-penis thing doesnt appeal to me, also you dont get alot of quitters or bad sports in player matches

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

While turtling is a valid (hell, NECESSARY!) tactic, rage-quit to preserve your precious BP is just... pathetic.

But hey, it can't be as bad as Tekken 5: DR, can it?
    1. Enter 4 player room.
    2. Watch Host play.
    3. IF
      Host loses:
      • Watch as winning player is kicked.
        OR
      • Watch as every other player (including self) is kicked.
      ELSE
    4. Play VS Host
      IF
      You win:
      • goto 3
        ELSE
      • There is no else, Host always loses.
    :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

People will always be doing stupid things like this. It's a shame. Capcom really should have implemented a penalty for quitting during a game. People have been doing this for years. I remember while playing counterstrike the '1337 retry' were a player having a bad few rounds will type retry into the console to reconnect to the server and reset their score. Is silly behaviour but you just have to live with it unfortunately. I haven't rage quit once and 've been getting my ass kicked constantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Is silly behaviour but you just have to live with it unfortunately. I haven't rage quit once and 've been getting my ass kicked constantly.

It's just ruining the experience for me though. The last view public unranked games I've played have been either against people who I imagine have set up a second account with no rank so they can just trounce beginners like me, by using multiple focus into juggling combos, people who rage quit before I win or people with severe lag.

If only we had a fighting forum where we could arrange regular training sessions against beginners on boards that we know :rolleyes:

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Just don't care about online ranking systems, there not worth the effort in any game. full of cheaters, smurfs and rage quitters. I just laugh at the stupidty of what some people do. I mean when you know in your heart of hearts that a a high score, rank or achievement is obtained by such antics then whats the point.

I tend to just stick to player matches and well its mostly the same bs here. Ever now and then you will have find a sound person who you can have enjoyable games with and then you add them to friends and build up up your player base that way.

• Advertisement

Azza wrote: »
    I tend to just stick to player matches and well its mostly the same bs here. Ever now and then you will have find a sound person who you can have enjoyable games with and then you add them to friends and build up up your player base that way.

I find it's like a dance though. I mean if I'm playing against someone who is more of a beginner than I am and I can beat them, I'll fluff every 4th match or so by playing with someone I'm rubbish as so that they won't kick me or quit. I find if I win more than 4 games in a row the person I'm playing against will just quit....

... actually when I was playing against you Azza, I'd win every 4th or 5th match... HEY!!! Are you letting me win to keep me playing??? :eek: :pac:

Also, I've found just playing one match using flowchart akuma will get me kicked, so I've had to stop using it now :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Why would you want to play player matches with someone worse than you over and over anyway?

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Why would you want to play player matches with someone worse than you over and over anyway?

well I don't mean they're terrible, I mean the last guy I was playing against would win a round or get close to beating me but never did. Still he quit after a few rounds.

Which ever way you look at it, either I'm going to be playing against a guy that is constantly beating me, or I'm going to be constantly beating them. It's pretty hard to find someone who is equally balanced for all matches that it could go either way. I'd hope other people wouldn't quit if they where constantly beating me as I like the practice.

People will always be doing stupid things like this. It's a shame. Capcom really should have implemented a penalty for quitting during a game.

I thought Xbox Live was programmed that way so that couldn't be done.

And L3mir0d, I generally try and play against people who are better than me, it's the only way to improve imo. That's all I'm saying - I'd rather lose to the same guy 50 times in a row than beat someone 50 times in a row.

edit: What you could do to try and find better matches is search by language, and set it to German, French, Italian etc., so you have a good chance of getting good ping with whoever you match up against, and go for people with empty icons or whatever. A lot of the time these guys will have lower BP, and might be a more equal matchup for you.

I'd rather lose to the same guy 50 times in a row than beat someone 50 times in a row.

yeah but then you are counting on someone else wanting to play against you even though they can easily beat you. I think I like playing against weaker players some times though as it allows me to get some online practice in with some of my weaker characters.
    edit: What you could do to try and find better matches is search by language, and set it to German, French, Italian etc., so you have a good chance of getting good ping with whoever you match up against, and go for people with empty icons or whatever. A lot of the time these guys will have lower BP, and might be a more equal matchup for you.

when you leave it as english, does it match you up against people in the US? I would of thought they'd of locked it to the EU due to latency.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I quite often get talking to Americans over the mic when I set it to English.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Hmmm Leimrod I always thought you where letting me win those 4 rounds in between the ones you win :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I thought Xbox Live was programmed that way so that couldn't be done.

You can quite to menu anytime and nothing stops you pulling the cable out.

Yes, I realise that, what I was saying is that Xbox Live is made so you can't punish people for disconnecting.

In a good few games a disconnect is the same as a loss to the person that disconnected.

Azza wrote: »
    Hmmm Leimrod I always thought you where letting me win those 4 rounds in between the ones you win :D

oh... yeah... :p... that's exactly what I was doing. You got me :pac:

Man I need more practice. I'm using the PS3 D-Pad which isn't that bad, but not having 6 face buttons is an absolute pain.

Akuma really is bad against anyone who can teleport, because it's impossible to keep your distance. Seth is just a pain for that. When I was playing as Akuma I was pretty much just non stop tapping the throw button to try and counter your inevitable teleport then throw.

That hadoken then charge forward trick is pretty cool though, I've got to practice that more online. It's a pain because you are expecting to jump back and hit the wall but instead you keep going and land right on top of the fireball.

In a good few games a disconnect is the same as a loss to the person that disconnected.

Such as? Any games I've played it counts as a tie. If not, I do wonder why more companies don't put that into their games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

From what I heard, on the 360 disconnections are counted as a loss. Where as PS3 its a draw so no BP is lost.

The term ragequitting comes from fighting games with out points or whatever and as the name suggests implies the person got pissed off and bailed.

I suppose they need a new term for people quitting just to save losing their BP but atm I guess "pussy" pathetic will do. Having said that, theres a **** load of rage quitting going on in player matchs anyways. People really care so much about scores and so little about the actual fight...

They'll never learn anything if they constantly kick people better than them and only play people worse...

I'd like to hope this bull**** dies down after a few months when all the casuals and non fighting game fans or whatever just leave. I'm also hoping to encounter this less on the PC version.

In regards to your original post L31mr0d about ranked games, its equally annoying on the other side of the coin for more experienced players or at least for me anyway. I'd like to be facing people with at least 2500 bp to as high as possible (highest I've played was a bison with 9000 bp and from playing him for all I knew he coulda been 300bp) but anyway 70% of the games I play are against people with low bp who I;d be only getting 1bp per win.

So from my experience its still hard to find people around your bp on PSN a lot of the time on ranked. & finally BP is BS anyways. I played ranked to find good players. As initially it was only really really new people in player matchs. (This is all only relevant to PSN, I hear matchmaking is better on live) But I'm finding more and more good players in player matchs and generally its in player matchs that I've had the most fun. Still if I end up against someone new to the game, I wont kick them. Only time I leave or kick someone is if I've been invited to a game or its just too damn laggy. Every other time its me being kicked.

The big issue is finding people with good connections. or rather, people with good connections who lived near you.

WHY THE **** capcom? WHY add something as useless as a language option, and NOT a REGION option.

On english I could be playing someone from freaking New Zealand for all I know (true story)

So yes, looking for people with european languages helps but its still retarded that thats the only way. Ping doesn't show for most people so for all the french guy who I just connected to knows I could be anywhere on the planet and not EU.

I hope they fix this on the pc version. Let us show flags or regions. Bah!

Advertisement