Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unum SDC

• 01-04-2009 9:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭

Whats the story with this place?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭aynon

its the software development lab, its courtesy of bitching of the computer students that they do not have a specific lab designed for them. its the colleges way of saying "look how big our balls are, look at all the "specific" labs we have." basically all the labs are computer rooms, where only specific students have access. nothing more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

Ah cheers the place does looks nice. But there is a chap in there thats is scaring everyone away! :S

CHABAL!

btw-i dont know him personally, but i know he's french.

Is that his name?

you not know who chabel is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

RealistSpy wrote: »
    Ah cheers the place does looks nice. But there is a chap in there thats is scaring everyone away! :S

Who's this scaring people away now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Wicked

where is this place that yer talking about? is there a new lab in the college for IT students?

i know theres one in the barrow center

What is in the barrow centre? The Elite Gym? :) Nice place to work out I must say :) and U don't know who chabal is should I?

sorry i meant the killeshin center.

is there a new lab for IT students?

RealistSpy wrote: »
    What is in the barrow centre? The Elite Gym? :) Nice place to work out I must say :) and U don't know who chabal is should I?

No I've no idea who this Chabal character is, I'm only in second year though so that might be why.
    Wicked wrote: »
    sorry i meant the killeshin center.

is there a new lab for IT students?

The new lab is for 3rd and 4th year software development students, same as the 3rd and 4th year games development have their own lab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭RedXIV

RedXIV wrote: »

It seems like all the chabal around are scary!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Ms Happy

aynon wrote: »
    its the software development lab, its courtesy of bitching of the computer students that they do not have a specific lab designed for them. its the colleges way of saying "look how big our balls are, look at all the "specific" labs we have." basically all the labs are computer rooms, where only specific students have access. nothing more

I think you need to get your facts straight about the lab, it's nothing to do with "bitching" of the computing students. UNUM have invested in Carlow. :rolleyes:

Ms Happy wrote: »
    I think you need to get your facts straight about the lab, it's nothing to do with "bitching" of the computing students. UNUM have invested in Carlow. :rolleyes:
    and how do you get someone to invest in your college?
    by bitching!

ok so we've established there is a new lab. so where is it in the college?

Wicked

top floor of the library. in where the gaming students start the year, its not a lab, its a glass partition, btw. so you go up the main stairs, top floor, turn left, cant miss it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Ms Happy

and how do you get someone to invest in your college?
    by bitching!

Care to elaborate?

What do you mean by bitching?

i mean no one is going to give you money if they dont know about it. so you have to bitch to some one. i have pics of the lab here btw if anyone wants to see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Cuchulain

Ms Happy wrote: »
    Care to elaborate?

What do you mean by bitching?

Dont mind him, he is obviously a complete moron and has no idea what he is talking about.
    As Ms Happy said, UNUM approached I.T. Carlow.

Sure if "bitching" could get funding for new labs and funds then why wouldnt the pharmacists start bitching to Merck or Wyett? Thats the most idiotic idea I seen here in a long long time.

UNUM approached the i.t. after they were asked by the i.t. to.

I have worked on boards looking for funding. this is how it happens. they say it this way so it sounds better for both parties. also its like in rowing. you get invited to race, but you have to ask for the invite.

• Advertisement

btw, its not a lab, its a glass partition, if this hasnt been said before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Cuchulain

Firstly you think "bitching" will make a company (trying to operate in difficult recessionary times) invest thousands of euro into a lab simply because people are "bitching" at them.........:eek::eek::eek:

Secondly it is a lab. It has its own lab number, PCs, isnt opened for general access, data projector, etc etc

You think the presence of glass instead of some cement and blocks doesnt make it a lab?

btw, its not a lab, its a glass partition, if this hasnt been said before.

To be fair I think you can call it a lab.

well i would consider a lab a private place that development takes place. thats a glass partition. its not private. and its got a relaxation area, not very lab-ish....

the point is to promote software development and uts working that lab is eye catching admit it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

blah blah blah with the bitching!

Hopefully we're getting a coffee machine, water dispenser, ps3 and xb360. We can hook them up to the projector, that'll be fun :D

well i will say one thing it is better then the lab you guys had in the killeshin. but it is still a glass partition. only reall complaint i have is that they have taken 8 or 9 computers from the floor when its hard enough to find a computer up on that floor already/

why is it just software. why can't all IT students use it?

cos the college can be assholes like that, and its only 3rd or 4th year software engineers/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

half of them don't run windows and all our project work is on them for the whole year. We had these PCs over in the killeshin centre, they were brought over a few weeks ago for us. Well, 4th years, I don't know about 3rd years.

Advertisement