Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unum SDC

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭aynon

all of them have windows, but the main system is ubuntu same for 3rd years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

yeah, ok, they all have windows but don't load that first. And trust me, a lot of students don't realise what to do when booting them up. Other students aren't supposed to use them cos there's so much on all of them from work throughout the whole year that if anything is messed up...well let's just say it aint good!

that said alot of students dont understand why they need a seperate lab. those computers dont have the same netboot system the rest have, so are not as secure as the other computers. also like you say have years worth of projects etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

yeah, its like most other courses. I'm sure design, PR and architecture have their own studios. We had our own harddrives up in C something like two years ago. When people don't see them, they don't want them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Cuchulain

aynon wrote: »
    that said alot of students dont understand why they need a seperate lab. those computers dont have the same netboot system the rest have, so are not as secure as the other computers. also like you say have years worth of projects etc.

Id love to know what your definition of a "netboot system" is. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

network boot, a system that boots from the network

You mean the OS is hosted on the network?

Thats a PXE boot and is only used for imaging the PC. It has nothing to do with the normal day to day operation of the PC

1) Its used once (at initial image time) and is not used again afterwards. Therefore is has nothing to do with realtime security.
    2) The PXE boot is the exact same as the all the other PC in the college. You can see these when the techies are imaging the other PCs

And hypothetically, even if it was a different "netboot system" :confused: than the rest then why would that make it less secure?

the computers on the normal library floor are reimaged every night automatically or every time the computer is reset. i know this as i used to have a very close working relationship with ray jordon, and john, who build the network and network security. by less secure, i mean that the ones in the labs arent. thus any viruses, trojans etc. are left on the system.

• Advertisement

the computers on the normal library floor are reimaged every night automatically or every time the computer is reset. i know this as i used to have a very close working relationship with ray jordon, and john, who build the network and network security. by less secure, i mean that the ones in the labs arent. thus any viruses, trojans etc. are left on the system.

They arent reimaged every night, upon restart the PCs revert back to their standard setup using software that has nothing to do with PXE or a "netboot system".
    In a 3th/4th year programming lab based scenario where important projects/software need to be written to the local disk then it wouldnt be feasible to reset the drive at every reboot.
    I suppose you could look that, these users technically more advanced than the standard user on the floor and a certain degree of trust is given to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Anyways I think the idea of having a lab specifically for Software students is great.

The number of times I've been wandering around the college this year looking for a free room with Visual Studio 2008 installed. Can't wait till next year, just gotta pass now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

Schism wrote: »
    Anyways I think the idea of having a lab specifically for Software students is great.

The number of times I've been wandering around the college this year looking for a free room with Visual Studio 2008 installed. Can't wait till next year, just gotta pass now.

Isnt VS on most computers?

VS2005 is on most computers to my knowledge, but i think he wants VS2008. which isnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

VS2005 is on most computers to my knowledge, but i think he wants VS2008. which isnt.

Correct.

i got something right? did I? oh my i can die happy now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭pacman.podge

its an american insurance software firm n they are trainin people to work wit them! they take people straight ou of college for java developemt etc!! nice lab though!!

Advertisement