Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need to find a free programmer!

Options
  • 01-04-2009 10:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi All, I've got a project that I really want to develop. Its a company that I'm starting and I really need help getting it off the ground. I've approached Venture Capitalists in the US, and have Irish investors interested. They have told me the idea is sound, but I need proof that it works before backing it.

Therefore, I need a great programmer who's happy to do some work for free for a while. I'm not a tech person, and I really need some help.

I'd love to work with someone who can work for this for free for a while, with a view to becoming a full time employee and have a share of company ownership in the future.

I need someone with great database skills, UI design, graphic interfaces, PHP, Mysql,HTML, Flash, and all that. I need a site created, along with a database back end, and interfaces with third party applications.

Project is focused on consumer internet, mobile phone apps and local data.

I know this is a long shot - and a big ask, but I'm curious to see if there's anyone out there that's happy to work with me on this to make it work.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

ganty wrote: »
    Hi All, I've got a project that I really want to develop. Its a company that I'm starting and I really need help getting it off the ground. I've approached Venture Capitalists in the US, and have Irish investors interested. They have told me the idea is sound, but I need proof that it works before backing it.

Therefore, I need a great programmer who's happy to do some work for free for a while. I'm not a tech person, and I really need some help.

I'd love to work with someone who can work for this for free for a while, with a view to becoming a full time employee and have a share of company ownership in the future.

I need someone with great database skills, UI design, graphic interfaces, PHP, Mysql,HTML, Flash, and all that. I need a site created, along with a database back end, and interfaces with third party applications.

I know this is a long shot - and a big ask, but I'm curious to see if there's anyone out there that's happy to work with me on this to make it work.

Unless you can offer something concrete I doubt you'll have many takers at all, and any you do get won't give you the result you want.

If it's a serious venture and you want to attract someone of the right calibre, I would suggest you will need to offer them a definite equity deal and go into partnetship with them. None of this "with a view to " nonsence.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

That sounds like two roles to me - I've met very few people who excel at both programming and design.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Thats all very specific skills, no hope of getting that for gratis id say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Best of luck dude - if there are people out there willing to do this stuff for free then give me a shout, I have some college assignments they can mull over :)

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

seems you'll have to put your money where you mouth is. If you're that confident about your product look on it as your own venture capital.

How far along do you have to bring it anyway? proof of concept? working prototype?

Off to the dragon's den with ya! ;)

You might get someone on board if you start up a company and have some sort of percentage agreement. At least that way there's a small hope that something good would come of it for the programmer should it take off, not to mention you'd probably be better off keeping the person involved seeing as they got it off the ground with you also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

eoin wrote: »
    That sounds like two roles to me - I've met very few people who excel at both programming and design.

Aye, 2 for the price of 0 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Reminds me of

http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/Rolling-in-the-Money.aspx

Seriously though with the dot.com and recession your going to be hard pressed to find someone with quality doing it for free. You could offer shares in the profits after the fact but again people would prefer money.

At the end of the day you get what you pay for.

Also you need to take into account the amount of coding. A serious application can take a year or more with a large team of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

"Hey guys, I have a great idea that I hope is going to make me a fortune. What I need you to do is actually make the idea into reality for free and then maybe, once the money starts coming in, I'll give you a job. Or something. Or else I'll keep the fortune for myself and tell you to **** off. After all, you're not an employee or a partner or anything"

Anyone out there want to do my ironing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I might be able to help you get cheap (i.e. outsourced) labour to create a proof on concept for you. Send me a PM if interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Also a thought here to get a final year college student who could possibly take on board your idea(or part of it) for final year project

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

Very unlikely you'll find some to do all the work for you.

This would only work if you were the programmer and working for free during your own free time.

Also from the sounds of it, the workload would probably require more than one programmer and a designer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

I know we're in a recession and all, but I don't think we're quite at the stage where people are so desperate for work that they'll work for free.

Well I think he's saying that there is potential for a big pay off.

I think he needs to compromise by getting a loan (or whatever) and paying someone something to do the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

I'm setting up "a company for carrying out an undertaking of great advantage, but nobody to know what it is". Anyone interested?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Yeah right... you picked the right day to launch this idea on boards :rolleyes:

A senior developer gets around €70-€80k, an average one maybe around €30-€40k.

Guessing a development time & testing time of say 6 months for this, you want someone to give you €20k-€40k of their money/time for free?

Dream on.
    If it's a web site, you'll need a good advertisement budget otherwise nobody will bother visiting it.

If it's a web site, you'll need a good advertisement budget otherwise nobody will bother visiting it.

Yep.

Any fool can create a website, but getting people to use it... that's a totally different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I need something to occupy my mind during the summer and finding a job is proving to be very difficult so give me a PM with details. I'm a good designer and good programmer so I may have the right mix and always a bit entrepreneurial and would be curious/interested in new ideas :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

FFS. If you're going to offer people a job A. Pay them for it and B. Post it in the right thread when you decide to pay people for their hard earned skills.

Pfft, bet its a social networking idea :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement