Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL broadband

Options
  • 01-04-2009 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Does anyone here that have their broadband with NTL (UPC) have regular problems with connection? Mine is coming through a wireless router. The problem is that my PC is telling me I have connection but it will not connect to the internet, Skype etc. To rectify the problem I have to 'Repair' the network connection (Windows XP) or, more often, have to power off/on the NTL modem and wireless router. This must have happened at least 30 times now since I got the service from NTL about 2 months ago. Problem is not just with my PC as there are 2 other laptops in the house running Vista having same problem.

Anyone having similar issues? Thanks.

K

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Im on NTl, this happens alot to me, but im LAN'd
    I think its the routers, they're sh!t

I keep meaning to try another router

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

I reckon its a dodgy router aswell, maybe do away with dhcp and setup static addresses just to test.
    I have NTL bb aswell and find it pretty good, just as long as you dont have to ring them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

DannyBuoy wrote: »
    just as long as you dont have to ring them...

+1

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You need to establish if it is your connection or the wireless thats the problem.

Connect directly to the modem or indeed connect directly to the router and see if you get drop outs.

Change the will channel on the wireless router to make sure it is not conflicting with neighbours' wireless.

Download netstumbler and see if there are any other wireless networks around.

Make sure there are no other wireless gizmos around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

The wireless router is the same one I've been using for the past two and a half years. I did have an Irish BB account and never had a days problem with it.

When the connection problem does occur, I can ping the router from my PC and get a reply. That's why I think it's an NTL issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

kkelly77 wrote: »
    Hello all,

Does anyone here that have their broadband with NTL (UPC) have regular problems with connection? Mine is coming through a wireless router. The problem is that my PC is telling me I have connection but it will not connect to the internet, Skype etc. To rectify the problem I have to 'Repair' the network connection (Windows XP) or, more often, have to power off/on the NTL modem and wireless router. This must have happened at least 30 times now since I got the service from NTL about 2 months ago. Problem is not just with my PC as there are 2 other laptops in the house running Vista having same problem.

Anyone having similar issues? Thanks.

K
    I also have Ntl broadband at home and my router isnt working.Ntl wont replace or fix it,but if i cancel my contract they will re-install all the equipment again.
    crazy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i use the ntl modem with my own (linksys) router (the netgear one ntl provide is widely regarded as being crap) and very rarely have any problems.

my router and connection uptime is almost 16 days now and I hammer the crap out of it on a daily basis, pushing the 250gb FUP every month.

are the lights on the modem still all on?

what do you have your DNS set to? I always used to have problems after a while if i did not manually set the DNS IP addresses in my router.

try manually setting the DNS servers in your router config to 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 and see if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭TomasMan

I had a problem with NTL’s wireless router when I got it from NTL a year ago. I did update firmware on router and it’s been working fine since.
    You should install new firmware and se will it help. That’s what solved problem with my router.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

vibe666 wrote: »
    i use the ntl modem with my own (linksys) router (the netgear one ntl provide is widely regarded as being crap) and very rarely have any problems.

my router and connection uptime is almost 16 days now and I hammer the crap out of it on a daily basis, pushing the 250gb FUP every month.

are the lights on the modem still all on?

what do you have your DNS set to? I always used to have problems after a while if i did not manually set the DNS IP addresses in my router.

try manually setting the DNS servers in your router config to 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 and see if that helps.

Yes lights are still on the modem when the problem with connection occurs. I haven't manually configured the DNS on the router. In fact the lads who installed the NTL connection setup the router for me.

K

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Yes lights are still on the modem when the problem with connection occurs. I haven't manually configured the DNS on the router. In fact the lads who installed the NTL connection setup the router for me.

K

What did customer support in NTL say?

• Advertisement

the quickest way to tell for sure if it's DNS related is to take a note of the IP addresses of some websites you'd normally visit and then the next time it goes titsup, put the IP address in instead of the regular web address and if it still works then its definitely a DNS problem.

here's a few to try.

www.boards.ie - 89.234.66.107
    www.rte.ie - 89.207.56.140
    www.monster.ie - 80.157.169.185

incidentally, has anyone else noticed that if you do a few ping tests that NTL start blocking them?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Rorser wrote: »
    What did customer support in NTL say?

Please key in your account number.

If you have not got an account number please key in a telephone number assocated with the account and you better have your account number for the next time you ring!!

You have not entered a telephone number goodbye!

Beep beep beep.....................................:rolleyes:

dub45 wrote: »
    Beep beep beep.....................................:rolleyes:
    that last bit is someone reversing over the phone with a lorry. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Ciara07

I changed to NTL in November from Eircom. Big Huge Mistake.
    Brutal Service, I've been withouth BB and phone for 3 WEEKS today.
    The worst customer service department ever! No communication Skills and they cannot deliver the service they say they can provide. I've just cancelled, I wont' be paying any fees as they clearly couldn't provide a service they said they could. You get what you pay for, they may be the cheapest but they are most definately the worst service provider ever. Do yourself a favour and Go to Any Other Supplier, or face into the most stressful time of your life!

Advertisement