Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tall fast growing trees

Options
  • 01-04-2009 11:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Im slowly but surely getting to grips with my garden but there is one issue I need to address quickly and with your help.

My garden is about 3/4 of an acre at the back of my house. The very back of the garden has a very old stone wall which seperates the garden from a busy road. I want to plant a tall fast growing hedge and or line of trees along the inside of the wall. In fact I was thinking of turning the bottom 1/3 of the garden into a small copse of trees for both privacy and shelter from the road.

The soil is stoney and well drained.

What kind of trees should I be looking at? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

I'm tempted to say conifers, but they do "overgrow" very quickly. I'm not sure what was planted at the edge of the current property, but in three to four years it's grown into a nice hedge ... dark green shiny leaves, pink blossoms in summer ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I'd say some of the hybrid willow and popular are your best man... You could grow a few rows at the bottom of the garden and have a 3-4m screen in just 2-3 years..

Have a look here...
    http://www.bowhayestrees.co.uk/willow.html

Advertisement