Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unemployment Olympics - Galway!

Options
  • 01-04-2009 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭

Just read this article.

I think it'd be great craic. Could hold it in Eyre Square... would we need a permit for this?

Events (?):

- FAS course ring toss
    - Brian Cowen Pinata (easy to make, he's quite round)
    - "Pass the buck" builders - banker's - politicians relay race
    - Public vs. Private Tug of War

etc...

Anything else? Anyone want to meet up in a serious attempt to plan it? Figure three or four of us could make a decent go of it. Maybe even raise some money for the Saint Vincent de Paul or something.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Musical chairs?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Magnus wrote: »
    Musical chairs?

thought of that 2 minutes ago, not even kidding. It'd be perfect.

Want to help organize it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Flash mob with some happy tune and dancing in the dole office

Xiney wrote: »
    thought of that 2 minutes ago, not even kidding. It'd be perfect.

Want to help organize it?

Sure.

Btw have you seen this
    http://www.face.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055527423
    ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

It says Xiney is a jobless bum, I only aspire to that!

• Advertisement

I have a job.

But am willing to quit if it means winning a gold medal in Unemployment Olympics Musical Chairs.

Yes! Quit! Can I have your job?

In all seriousness though, if we had a core group of 3-4 unemployed people running it, and we do a good job and get media exposure, it might even bring good things.

In my fairy tale world, an owner of a company who needs a highly competent employee, able to work on their own initiative, sees a story in the paper or on rte about a group of unemployed go getters who organized a whole event on their own and decides to see if they'd be interested in working for him/her....

However, even if that best case (and slightly ulterior motivated, self serving) scenario doesn't work out, possible benefits include:

- brightening the days of several people who could probably use it
    - hopefully raising money for a charity that helps people who are worse off than us (there's always someone)
    - making a statement

Come on guys. It'll be great!

I'm not unemployed but could help out with things "behind the scenes" if you like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Do it in the morning before the Red Arrows display , 30th May 8)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I reckon a few of the "long term unemployed" will be waving placards and banners that morning...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Sponge Bob wrote: »

We could have a special "Red Barrows" Display

I'm not unemployed but could help out with things "behind the scenes" if you like.

Excellent! we'd need at least one other person, I reckon.

How much organising would it need.. really?

well, for what I've got in my mind, we'd need to do the following:

- approach St Vincent de Paul and go through whatever procedures they require for running a charity event in aid of them
    - approach Galway city council for permission to run it in Eyre Square/someplace else
    - get media coverage
    - get sponsorship for prizes (I'm thinking vouchers from dunnes or tesco) and other materials
    - promotion of the event itself
    - planning of the individual events (more people = more ideas bouncing around = funnier, more topical event on the whole, not to mention actually gathering supplies, etc)

I'm a firm believer in, if you're going to do it, do it right.

But was the original that well organised though?

Does it matter?

Every idea can be improved upon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭3qsmavrod5twfe

Have a guy in a suit sitting on one of those chairs that fall when you hit the target with a ball. Call it "Land the Banker in the Crap - for a change" People would pay money for that.

Mind you, you'd probably have to give him groin protection as well for some of those "accidental" wayward throws... ;)

That would certainly be cool! Fun for everyone, not just the unemployed :P

Do you know where to get one of those booths? The ones I'm thinking about are the ones where they get dunked into water... used to have them in secondary school with the Vice Principle (discipline) in the seat. Always very popular, as you can imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

If it goes ahead I'll give you a hand on a few bits and pieces. Not working project would be good.

Great Idea BTW :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

You couldn't have it on too early though as most of them only get out of bed at 4-5pm.. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭scottledeuce

It could be a great idea if organised well Xiney.

I'm just wondering would the city council be prepared to let you use Eyre square as a gathering point for the collective unemployed of Galway...

not that anyone frowns on the unemployed these days but I still think they might be slow enough to get behind it unless it has solid backing and sponsors.

I'd be happy to get involved though if you need any help.

Ok, how about we meet up to do some preliminary brain storming and delegating next Wednesday at 7pm? I will try to book a spot in the galway social space.

If anyone who hasn't posted their interest wants to come and help as well, it would be very much appreciated :)

Perhaps we should call it the Recession Olympics, though. It might make Galway City Council a little more amenable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭3qsmavrod5twfe

Xiney wrote: »
    That would certainly be cool! Fun for everyone, not just the unemployed :P

Do you know where to get one of those booths? The ones I'm thinking about are the ones where they get dunked into water... used to have them in secondary school with the Vice Principle (discipline) in the seat. Always very popular, as you can imagine.

Same as that, last time I saw them was in secondary school. Don't know where to find one but I would imagine if any of the secondary schools were approached they might be able to lend/suggest where to find one.

Cool wedensday is good for me! The book club meets in Bar 8 which is a good space, room to converse etc.
    I ll start making notes of anything that may be beneficial!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Same as that, last time I saw them was in secondary school. Don't know where to find one but I would imagine if any of the secondary schools were approached they might be able to lend/suggest where to find one.

Might even be able to make you one as a woodwork project?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Great idea, would love to help, im unemployed!
    Dont know if we could get a water tank for dunking them in but even if we got one of those wooden things, where you put your head through the hole and people could throw wet sponges at the "bankers/brian cowen/etc" that might work, a euro for two throws or something?

ninja edit: i wonder...would any of our local politicians be game enough to participate in having wet sponges thrown at them.....???!! or getting dunked in a tankfull of water!

Great idea, would love to help, im unemployed!
    Dont know if we could get a water tank for dunking them in but even if we got one of those wooden things, where you put your head through the hole and people could throw wet sponges at the "bankers/brian cowen/etc" that might work, a euro for two throws or something?

ninja edit: i wonder...would any of our local politicians be game enough to participate in having wet sponges thrown at them.....???!! or getting dunked in a tankfull of water!

Elections ARE in June!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

saw the green party on shop street just there... wonder would they be game...Niall o Brolachain seems hip to the groove!!! he even has a facebook page! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Fiona500

PLEASE organise it! I wish I had the time to help but I am completely swamped at college. However, I do have media connections so I could help get the word around and make sure that ye get loads of coverage.....

Advertisement