Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is 23 to late too start an apprenticeship??

Options
  • 01-04-2009 12:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hi all,

just wondering do u think 23 is too late to start an apprenticeship?? what are poeples views on this? i know most people start them when they leave school. I wont be qualified until im 27 aswell if i start now:(

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Drakmord

rooney8 wrote: »
    Hi all,

just wondering do u think 23 is too late to start an apprenticeship?? what are poeples views on this? i know most people start them when they leave school. I wont be qualified until im 27 aswell if i start now:(

thanks

Well, here's some perspective.
    I'm in first Med and there are a good few people who are 25/26.
    As we have 4 more years left in college, they'll be 29 or 30 when they are qualified.

Good luck with your decision.

-E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Emerald Lass

if you can afford to live on an apprenticeship wages for the next few years, and the skills you will acquire will be beneficial to you then of course take it. It will get you in a good position for when the recession hopefully lifts. And if not at least you are keeping busy in the mean time and learning new skills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

rooney8 wrote: »
    Hi all,

thanks

I would say no its not too late, it's never too late.
    A trade will always stand to you, I did one from teens but looking back I think I should have gone straight into a 3rd level course when I was finished/reached 23 as you can apply for mature student from then.

I saw work where Graduates couldn't get employed as no experience and now I see few jobs that are not looking for Graduates of 3rd level.
    So in my 30's thinking is it too late for me?? better younger but never too late. 23 is loads young for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Turty3

I think if you are keen to learn a trade and have found a host to bring you through the phases then go for it. There appear to be very few companies looking to take on 1st years at the moment but if you've found one then there's nothing to lose. Depending on the trade you're undertaking the wages may be low to start off but they grow significantly as you progress through the various phases. There's nothing wrong with starting late, in fact some employers would say that having a previous work history is advantageous because you'll have learned responsibility and developed some maturity in your approach to work.

Advertisement