Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 to play sligo...it's official !!

Options
  • 01-04-2009 12:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

bea162c8.jpg

:-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Lazy April Fool's from the Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I'm impressed.

Not a single spelling error. Has the Post improved?

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

For the record, U2 played the 'Silver Slipper' ballroom in Strandhill in the early eighties, 1982 if I remember correctly. They arrived in a clapped out van and allegedly stole the silverware from the breafast table. No april fools, genuine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

€270 a ticket? ahh here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

nice april fools joke, would maybe work if you like U2, never did never will.

Ps. accoording to Mrs.T april fool is only till 12.00 for some reason. In my neck of the woods it's all day. What is the custom overhere?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭doug1970

aye...and the blue lagoon in 79...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I didn't hear about the 1200 rule until University. It was always all day for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

Xiney wrote: »
    I didn't hear about the 1200 rule until University. It was always all day for us.

On uni in Canada? so there is that rule there aswell, oops I told Mrs.T it was probaly a scottish thing!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

If they were a little less well known or supported I'd almost have believed it.But the fact it was the Sligo Post well then Not a Chance.

A more realistic price as well lads...who is going to pay €270 to see them in Markevicz Park.

Good idea by the Post though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

doug1970 wrote: »

Its definatly an April Fools because the owner of the Blue Lagoon told them they'd never play in this town again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Supporting Thin Lizzy! (Or so i was told....might not have performed the same night , the guy that was telling me was probably too drunk to remember which was which!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Don't know if it is true but I heard one time that one of the locals tried to attack Bono after this gig! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Pretty sure Bono's ego wouldn't fit in the gate at Marchevich Park. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

U2 were in Sligo several times between 1979 and 1981 I think (not too sure about the dates) I have memories of one of the gigs and the owner of the venue (I won't mention his name) was having problems that night clearing the premises. I remember him using a high pitched whistling sound, some type of speaker feedback ...Unbearable... everyone gone in minutes! I don't think that could happen today eh.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

when I seen it I actually believed it for a few seconds :o
    until it dawned on me- why would they be playin the likes of this place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭emcc

This is how you carry out a proper U2-based hoax : http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/news-gossip/no-u2-on-the-horizon-as-fans-rattled-by-hoax-1695077.html
    No U2 on the horizon as fans rattled by hoax

bono_indo_304528t.jpg

Even better than the real thing - U2opia frontman Lee Craddock dupes eager U2 fans gathering to hear the real thing

By Ralph Riegel

Thursday April 02 2009

HUNDREDS of U2 fans were duped yesterday in an elaborate April Fool's Day prank when they rushed to a shopping centre believing the band was playing a surprise rooftop concert.

The prank -- organised by Cork radio station RedFM -- fooled listeners, with early morning details of the impromptu concert and live news bulletins during which U2 were clearly heard playing in the background.

The station also carried audio clips of "U2" playing a rooftop concert at Blackpool Shopping Centre. But, in reality, it was the tribute band U2opia.

Gesture

The station claimed the real band wanted to make a gesture to Cork, as they are not playing a gig there this summer, and that they had decided to recreate their famous concert from the rooftop of a Los Angeles liquor store in the late 1980s.

That concert has gone down in rock'n'roll legend, but this one will only go down in Red FM legend.

On first hearing of the U2 gig yesterday, fans rushed to the shopping centre from all over Cork city and county, with reports of some people running out of work to catch the impromptu gig and others abandoning their shopping to get to Blackpool.

By mid-morning, almost 500 people had gathered around the shopping centre to try and catch a glimpse of their rock heroes. The gardai and Cork fire brigade, who had been alerted in advance to the hoax, played along, and it was later broadcast that the concert was being shut down on health and safety grounds.

But hundreds of fans continued to mill around outside the shopping centre as a large crane hoist was used to bring security personnel to the roof, lending credence to the suggestion that Bono, The Edge, Larry and Adam were being told to pull the plug and get off the roof.

Fans admitted they were totally taken in by the prank, and one woman said she had driven 30 miles just to try to get to see U2.

Red FM and Blackpool Shopping Centre said they were taken aback by the reaction, but added that those duped had taken it in good humour.

- Ralph Riegel

Advertisement