Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PAYG broadband SIM

• 01-04-2009 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭

I have a nice 7.2mbps generic 3G modem that I would like to use on PAYG broadband. I have no requirement for a contract as I will only need this for a couple of days a year.

I went into CPWH yesterday to buy a 3 broadband sim, on PAYG, but was told there is no such thing, and was told I can't get a regular sim and convert/use it.

I was told I'd have to buy another modem to get a sim with it.

Is this correct, and does anyone have any suggestions for someone who already has a modem and would like to get PAYG broadband from any provider except meteor (no coverage in my area)?

Thanks.

Comments

I heard the same thing. I have a Dell Studio 1737 with a built-in HSDPA card and was told I still needed to buy the modem. Which I think is ridiculous since I wouldn't use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Totally untrue. You can get a normal 3pay handset sim and set it up as a modem through my3. This will allow you to purchase all the mobile internet addon's. Go to this address: https://my3.three.ie. Register for your my3 account. When you go to purchase an add on you will see on the bottom right of the screen 'set my mobile'. Click on this and set it to whatever modem you are using. The correct addon's will then appear when you click on buy addon's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Thanks Walkman, will buy a sim and give it a lash tomorrow.

That worked a charm!

Does anyone know how Three define a day in terms of PAYG broadband? Meteor define it as being up to midnight which sux. Does a day actually mean a day (ie 24 hrs) with Three?

EDIT: found the answer... it's midnight on the day after. Nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭faoile@n

Can this be done with Meteor as well. Meteor is €3 versus €5 with Three...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Walkman wrote: »
    Totally untrue. You can get a normal 3pay handset sim and set it up as a modem through my3. This will allow you to purchase all the mobile internet addon's. Go to this address: https://my3.three.ie. Register for your my3 account. When you go to purchase an add on you will see on the bottom right of the screen 'set my mobile'. Click on this and set it to whatever modem you are using. The correct addon's will then appear when you click on buy addon's.

Does that include the tariffs that the likes of myself currently use, 25 euro for a month access (10GB) package?

Is there a problem if using a brand other than that on the drop down list? Say a modem by Novatel Wireless etc.

Great post, not a connection\process many people would twig, unless told..

Amalgam wrote: »
    Does that include the tariffs that the likes of myself currently use, 25 euro for a month access (10GB) package?

Is there a problem if using a brand other than that on the drop down list? Say a modem by Novatel Wireless etc.

Great post, not a connection\process many people would twig, unless told..

Yes, this will open the add on's for mobile broadband (midband:)) users

Worked grand, and I got the 100MB data that doesn't expire for 40 days too. Presume this is to allow people to get online to top up their account?

Anyway, I have 100MB credit plus 2GB queued, but can't connect. Can send/receive txt messages alright. Do I need to get onto three to get them to enable internet on the SIM? Conflicting reports.

TIA.

JHMEG wrote: »
    Worked grand, and I got the 100MB data that doesn't expire for 40 days too. Presume this is to allow people to get online to top up their account?

Anyway, I have 100MB credit plus 2GB queued, but can't connect. Can send/receive txt messages alright. Do I need to get onto three to get them to enable internet on the SIM? Conflicting reports.

TIA.

No all 3pay sim's are now open and active for internet. What is the error message your getting?

Got it sorted in the end thanks. This thread originally had the wrong APN name which I was using :(

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055522694

• Advertisement

I was in the 3 branch on Henry Street today, I asked about using the SIM solely for data use in a USB modem and the staff member was genuinely surprised I knew this.. He said it was 'unofficial', but yes.. that the feature was there.

You're charged ten euro for the 3 SIM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,601 ✭✭✭corkie

Amalgam wrote: »

You're charged ten euro for the 3 SIM.

Did that include a ten euro top up voucher?

I got 3 sim free from the carphone warehouse, just don't ask for a broadband sim. most shops that i tried asking this from said you had to buy the modem.

Paid ten for voucher in another shop.
    Regards,
    J.

P.S. i may have been lucky, i was going to pay but there tills said no charge.

No top-up voucher. I paid €10 for a sim 9 days ago in CPWH in Maynooth.

yeah corkie, as you've outlined, the trick is not to ask for a Data SIM..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

these sim cards will probably still have the free credit of €80 once you register with three and top up each 30 days but the free credit can not be used for anything other than calls and texts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Could I in theory use my N95 (unlocked) with a 3 Sim and use the 3g connection for broadband on my laptop on the go via USB?

Just top up the sim and buy an add on? Instead of having to buy one of those USB modems..

Sorry if it's been covered already.

Edit: Wait, is there only a 1GB add on available for use with handset surfing?

How much would it cost to get a decent generic modem for use with a 3 sim?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Could someone give a quick outline of 3's PAYG broadband? I have a 3 modem already from an expired contract, paying €20 a month for 10gb cap I think it was, it was terrible, now I have a €7.50 package for 250mb a month with o2, it's fine for what I need it for, but some months I wouldn't use anywhere near €7.50's worth and if I go to the UK, I need to put in a vodafone UK sim and use their 99p for 24 hour deal, all the time using my phone. Would be handy if three had a similar deal and I could use my existing 3g three usb modem.

If someone could explain the deal and if it will still work in the UK at the same price I'd appreciate it :)

Advertisement