Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Petronas Malaysian Grand Prix - 3/4/5 April 2009 (Practice/Quals/Race Discussion)

• 01-04-2009 1:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭

f1_grand_prix_logo.jpg
    Petronas-logo.png
    Malaysia_flag.jpg

CURRENT STANDINGS

DRIVERS:

1. Jenson Button.........BRAWN GP MERCEDES..............10
    2. Rubens Barichello.....BRAWN GP MERCEDES...............8
    3. Lewis Hamilton........MCLAREN MERCEDES.................6
    4. Timo Glock.............TOYOTA.................................5
    5. Fernando Alonso......RENAULT................................4
    6. Nico Rosberg.......... WILLIAMS TOYOTA..................3
    7. Sebestian Buemi......TORO ROSSO FERRARI..............2
    8. Sebastien Bourdais...TORO ROSSO FERRARI..............1

CONSTRUCTORS:

1. BRAWN GP...................18
    2. MCLAREN MERCEDES......6
    3. TOYOTA......................5
    4. RENAULT......................4
    #5. WILLIAMS TOYOTA........3
    #5. TORO ROSSO FERRARI....3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

Maybe you could get the ball rolling with some comments of your own?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Anyone else think they won't be sending the supersoft tyres to this race? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

amacachi wrote: »

It's a tough call - don't they have to be separated by two grades now? If they send harder tyres we could see a lot of cars sliding around what with mech grip supposedly being so much more important this year as opposed to aero grip.

Isn't the Sepang track very tough on tyres? I may be recalling incorrectly, but if it is the supersoft tyres will be going off after 5/6 laps.

Isn't the Sepang track very tough on tyres? I may be recalling incorrectly, but if it is the supersoft tyres will be going off after 5/6 laps.

Can't remember TBH but with some of the drivers saying they were having trouble getting heat into the tyres in Aus they might think twice about bringing a very hard compound. Things got a bit ropey behind the safety car there for a while although the chances of seeing a SC in Sepang are less than in Aus.

• Advertisement

True enough.
    Not sure what I think about the tyre regs this year TBH, on the one hand it adds another dimension, on the other it feels like they're trying a bit hard to "manufacture" some exciting racing.

True enough.
    Not sure what I think about the tyre regs this year TBH, on the one hand it adds another dimension, on the other it feels like they're trying a bit hard to "manufacture" some exciting racing.

Well at least it's not the medals system! I really hope that doesn't happen, an adjustment to the points system would be much better.

Meh, I'm all for the "Medals" system, but without the medals. Most wins wins the title, rather than some arbitrary value placed on different finishing positions :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Yes but the race will be late again so the track temp might be lower. Then again kers is having an effect on the tyres too, they are predicting tyreware to be a major issue in sepang.

It's at the same time as the Aussie GP and the Sun will be higher in the sky due to the Latitude. Obviously ambient temperature doesn't hugely affect track temperature but it will certainly be higher than in Australia. The track temperature was quite low for an Aussie GP this year, the Malaysian GP is at the usual time.

• Advertisement

It's at the same time as the Aussie GP and the Sun will be higher in the sky due to the Latitude. Obviously ambient temperature doesn't hugely affect track temperature but it will certainly be higher than in Australia. The track temperature was quite low for an Aussie GP this year, the Malaysian GP is at the usual time.
    Is it not later than usual i thought the drivers were worried about it getting dark if it rains? :eek:

I apologise, it is later than usual.

However it is the same local time as the Aussie GP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,593 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Apparently Bridgestone will bring its hard and soft compound Potenza tyres.

Previously in Malaysia, hard and medium compound dry grooved tyres have been used,
    so this year's allocation has a softer tyre than has been seen here before. Also of note,
    this will be the first time that teams get to use the 2009 hard compound, as the current specification hard tyre is an evolution from that used by teams in preseason testing.

Aye, read that on Formula1.com

OP you want to change the championship standings in your post? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

what time does free practice start?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

Grim. wrote: »
    what time does free practice start?
    Practice1 is at 3am and the 2nd is at 7am (irish time)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

Practice1 is at 3am and the 2nd is at 7am (irish time)

good stuff thanks

03 Apr.
    03:00-04:30 1st Free Practice
    07:00-08:30 2nd Free Practice
    04 Apr.
    07:00-08:00 3rd Free Practice
    10:00-11:00 Qualifying
    05 Apr.
    10:00 Race

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

With all this talk of tyres, if the predicted rainy weekend manifests itself, the only questions of tyres will be if they are full of gravel/grass or not. Proper rain too if it comes. Malaysian Grand Prix should be later in April to have a better chance of avoiding it.

Two Williams fastest in first practise, two Ferraris quickest in second practise.

TBH it's all too close to call, going to come down to whoever hits the marks best in qualifying and gets favourable track position.

• Advertisement

This could turn out to be a very interesting race if it rains with the new regulations of lower downforce.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Chopper888

Rubens Barrichello will be given a five-place grid penalty at the Malaysian Grand Prix after needing a gearbox change following Friday's practice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

dsmythy wrote: »
    Malaysian Grand Prix should be later in April to have a better chance of avoiding it.

Why? Wet races (any circuit) consistantly prove to be the best races!

Yup, I'd love if it was raining at every race :D:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

dsmythy wrote: »
    With all this talk of tyres, if the predicted rainy weekend manifests itself, the only questions of tyres will be if they are full of gravel/grass or not. Proper rain too if it comes. Malaysian Grand Prix should be later in April to have a better chance of avoiding it.

You think we should have less wet races?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

They are repeating practice on BBC red button.

It depends how wet, i like it when it rains for a while dries out a bit maybe a bit more rain etc. In Malaysia if its very heavy rain the race will be stopped or be behind a safety car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    It depends how wet, i like it when it rains for a while dries out a bit maybe a bit more rain etc. In Malaysia if its very heavy rain the race will be stopped or be behind a safety car.

true, it can lead to that pointless follow the safety car around antics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Babybing wrote: »
    You think we should have less wet races?:confused:

I don't mind a good wet race but wet in Malaysia is a different kettle of fish to wet in Europe. Not much good if no cars are capable of finishing the race without a safety car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Will be interesting if it rains with the new car set up. Last year the Ferrari was a pig in the wet I wonder will it change. I read on another forum some said if it rains Lewis and Button are "rain masters" and Massa is screwed? I can only assume he started watching F1 last season. Can the new slicks handle wet to dry (dry to wet) better than the normal groove tyres of recent years?

The slicks may well be even worse than the grooves on a wet track.

Button, Vettel and Hamilton would be the ones to watch in rain. Course it depends on the cars, the Ferraris were basically undrivable in the wet races early last season.

All down to the car really
    Remember Schumacher was called the rainmaster.
    I wonder if he was in last years car at Silverstone would those guys on the other forum say disregard him as well :rolleyes:

In general the rain equalises the cars. That or leaves them completely undrivable.

Hehe, the BBC are properly grilling McLaren :D Ted asked one of the team why was yer man suspended even though Lewis isn't :P

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Irishshin

Rubens is another guy who is excellent in the rain.

Also reported on autosport that only the McClarens & Torro Rosso's are keeping their Melbourne engines. All others are changing.

Irishshin wrote: »
    Rubens is another guy who is excellent in the rain.

Also reported on autosport that only the McClarens & Torro Rosso's are keeping their Melbourne engines. All others are changing.

I'd've thought it would be a good idea to switch for the warm conditions. Unless of course McLaren are expecting very little from the weekend and so don't want to start wearing out another engine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

In general the rain equalises the cars. That or leaves them completely undrivable.

Hehe, the BBC are properly grilling McLaren :D Ted asked one of the team why was yer man suspended even though Lewis isn't :P

Yeah refreshing to see that....ITV would've got the feathers out and start tiddling arse's.

Jenson is good in the wet because he is s smooth.

Was Schumi the rainmaster? always thought that was Senna;)

What on earth were Ferrari thinking?????
    Cannot believe it!

Jesus Christ that was stupid.

Surely last weekend showed that the cars are so close that they simply have to be out right at the end on the grippy track to get in.

DC just said maybe something wrong with the Ferrari
    I really hope that is the case.

Edit: Ferrari just confirmed it was a mistake
    Cannot believe this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Working a few hours this morning and can only catch the bbc live updates. Sounds interesting though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

ferrari just said thought they were safe .....!!!!! wow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

Doubt ferrari would have had such brain fade had Ross Brawn still been there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

Spot on. Can't believe it myself.
    Toyota seem to be the suprise package. Brawn still king though.
    Just looking at Button's quali lap, very smooth and no fighting with steering wheel.
    Kimi is fighting with his car it seems.

cashmni1 wrote: »
    Toyota seem to be the suprise package. Brawn still king though.

Told the da to throw a few quid on Trulli on Tuesday night, we were both broke til today, he's no bloody price now. Vettel a good each-way bet I reckon though.

cashmni1 wrote: »
    Kimi is fighting with his car it seems.

Correst me if I am wrong but.
    Did Kimi not use the Kers in his quali runs?
    I know he had it turned off at some point.
    So,
    wouldnt that be an extra 60 Kilos or something like that to drag aound the track? with the addition of a possible heavier fuel load :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

didnt look like it probably not fixed after the battery fire (despite what ferrari said!)

or Jean Todt

DC said Massa's car sounded like it was down shifting or had a problem, was that not just Massa using kers?

Ferrari are struggling i think kimi turned off kers for q1, Ted Kravitz said it too. If it cant last a few laps in qualifying it has no chance in the race, although if it rains it would probably be useless any way.

Bad mistake by Ferrari with Massa they were lucky Kimi didn't get knocked out too, its good to see the cars so close the top teams just relax like before.

vectra wrote: »
    Correst me if I am wrong but.
    Did Kimi not use the Kers in his quali runs?
    I know he had it turned off at some point.
    So,
    wouldnt that be an extra 60 Kilos or something like that to drag aound the track? with the addition of a possible heavier fuel load :confused:

He's not carrying any extra weight than the other cars due to KERS, he just has less discretionary weight to move around the car.

He's not carrying any extra weight than the other cars due to KERS, he just has less discretionary weight to move around the car.

My point was
    Cars not running Kers = 60Kilos less dead weight as you are saying connot ballast. unless of course their cars are actually lighter than his?

What i was saying is the cars running Kers, Kimi would be disadvantaged there as he was not using it?

Slight disadvantage, nothing huge. All the cars are the same weight dry.

• Advertisement
Advertisement