Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Petronas Malaysian Grand Prix - 3/4/5 April 2009 (Practice/Quals/Race Discussion)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,593 ✭✭✭✭vectra

amacachi wrote: »
    All the cars are the same weight dry.

Are they?
    I know there is a minimum weight
    BUT
    Isnt this Kubica's cry about he being disadvantaged if he did run Kers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

vectra wrote: »
    My point was
    Cars not running Kers = 60Kilos less dead weight as you are saying connot ballast. unless of course their cars are actually lighter than his?

What i was saying is the cars running Kers, Kimi would be disadvantaged there as he was not using it?

I think so the car would not be as balanced as it could be and he misses out on the boost on the straights.

If you look at Heidfeld and Kubica it looks like your better off without it.

But i think if the want to run without it it requires a new chaise so they are stuck with it.
    Hopefully they can change/fix it for the race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Are they?
    I know there is a minimum weight
    BUT
    Isnt this Kubica's cry about he being disadvantaged if he did run Kers?

The disadvantage he's crying about is that he wouldn't have the weight to move around the car. This is a guy who claimed the car was undrivable during qualifying last weekend yet came close to winning but for the collision with Vettel. Hamilton isn't the only person whose comments you should take with a pinch of salt ;) :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

Does anyone have any idea when the fuel loads will be published? Think(hope) kimi is running abit heavier whilst Trulli is light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,593 ✭✭✭✭vectra

The disadvantage he's crying about is that he wouldn't have the weight to move around the car. This is a guy who claimed the car was undrivable during qualifying last weekend yet came close to winning but for the collision with Vettel. Hamilton isn't the only person whose comments you should take with a pinch of salt ;) :P

I thought he caught up in the end as the frontrunners were on the soft tyres and Kubica had got those out of the way earlier?

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/4/9142.html Pre-race weights.

All seem to be within 3-4 laps at the front, Vettel on the road to nowhere unless there's a safety car around his first stop. Heidfeld, Massa and the McLarens well fueled up.

I thought he caught up in the end as the frontrunners were on the soft tyres and Kubica had got those out of the way earlier?

He was only a few seconds off the whole way through. The tyres were the reason he was a couple of seconds a lap quicker at the end was due to the tyres, but he was on the pace the whole way through the race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    or Jean Todt

DC said Massa's car sounded like it was down shifting or had a problem, was that not just Massa using kers?

Ferrari are struggling i think kimi turned off kers for q1, Ted Kravitz said it too. If it cant last a few laps in qualifying it has no chance in the race, although if it rains it would probably be useless any way.

Bad mistake by Ferrari with Massa they were lucky Kimi didn't get knocked out too, its good to see the cars so close the top teams just relax like before.
    I heard this too. It sounded strange. Like a downshift but not, if you know what I mean. The engine seemed to jump up in revs but no jolt in the car. This has to be the KERS boost surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭Tau

They said something in the commentary about there being something wrong with the audio on the video feed, producing that effect.

Then again, that might have just been me mishearing at 10am after a Friday night...

• Advertisement

cashmni1 wrote: »
    I heard this too. It sounded strange. Like a downshift but not, if you know what I mean. The engine seemed to jump up in revs but no jolt in the car. This has to be the KERS boost surely?

That's the noise I was on about in another thread happening in Australia.
    Tau wrote: »
    They said something in the commentary about there being something wrong with the audio on the video feed, producing that effect.

Then again, that might have just been me mishearing at 10am after a Friday night...

They said that, but to me it sounded like Brundle was talking ****e, he said the mikes are "pointed" at the cars, which sounds somewhat overcomplicated to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭scull2009

i have £1 on raikonnen to win. button wont win, hes 4/6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

cashmni1 wrote: »
    Yeah that was it, kers is the only thing it could be i never heard it before.
    That's the noise I was on about in another thread happening in Australia.
    They said that, but to me it sounded like Brundle was talking ****e, he said the mikes are "pointed" at the cars, which sounds somewhat overcomplicated to me.
    Ha, I heard that and thought he was bull****ting too. Surprised Brundle or DC didn't cop that it could be kers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I thought the KERS ran seperate to the engine and fed its power into the gearbox?

William's KERS is going to run off a flywheel and I can't see how you're going to tie a flywheel energy release into an electronically controlled F1 engine.

Pissed rain earlier and a GP2 race, so the track is fairly green.
    Rain predicted for the race as well.

Anyone else reckon Brawn are holding something back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Enjoy lads!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Irishshin

Hope Jenson is right and it starts to rain :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Race just been red flagged

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

MENTAL:eek:

What happens now? go under safety car until lap 42 and give the points or is that it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

According to Newstalk Yensen Button is leading.

I wanted rain but not this much!!!!
    Really hope they can go again and not just finish it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

race red flagged, cars lined up on the grid, if rain clears they can drive again...

If there's no restart there'll be half points awarded. According to the live timing the order is:
    1. Button
    2. Glock
    3. Heidfeld
    4. Trulli
    5. Barrichello
    6. Hamilton
    7. Rosberg
    8. Webber

****in ridiculous to have the race so late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

This aint restarting.:(

:( Doesn't look like it will
    Great idea of Bernie's to push the start time later in the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

yeah, far too dangerous to re-start

Great strategy from Toyota and Glock it must be said.

Can't see it happening, they'll only restart if there's a chance to get to 3/4 race distance which is another 10 laps, or 20 minutes. Plus they have to give ten minutes notice to restart, so unless it dries miraculously in the next 10 minutes I don't think we're restarting :P

Humbug.....schuduling smeudling. :(

Wonder what way the final positions will finish up, as far as I know they have to go back a lap or two, I'm sure it'll benefit Hamilton somehow :P

According to Live Timing the results are taken from the end of the penultimate lap before the lap during which the signal to suspend the race was given.

Irishshin wrote: »
    According to Live Timing the results are taken from the end of the penultimate lap before the lap during which the signal to suspend the race was given.

Yup, which is basically two laps back. I think Button was first the whole way, the rest of the top 8 could shuffle around a bit compared to what I posted.

• Advertisement

HHmm I dont think it is two laps back....it is the last completed lap no?

Button, Glock, Heidfeld, Trulli, Barrichello, Hamilton, Rosberg, Webber.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Ironmania

Anyone really want to see the cars drive round behind SC for 12 laps?

It's the lap before the last completed lap, so it's over a lap back. Basically the time before the last time they crossed the line :)

Ironmania wrote: »
    Anyone really want to see the cars drive round behind SC for 12 laps?

Not enough time. I wouldn't mind if they had done that straightaway, get full points on the go.

I think Heidfeld was 2nd then. Not sure

Looks like Kimi is outta the race.

Jesus the BBC are disappointing. If anyone's wondering they'll be releasing the others early to allow them to unlap themselves. IF there's a restart. :)

I think Heidfeld was 2nd then. Not sure

Not too sure meself.

Looks like Kimi is outta the race.[/QUOTE]

Why do you reckon Kimi is out?

are they gonna restart!!!
    Why else move the cars. Interesting.

I think we are all confused.
    It seems silly to race for another 20 mins under the safety car. And then there is the 10 minute notification to teams for a restart
    That is if the clock is still ticking and the two hour rule is in effect.

• Advertisement

Ironmania wrote: »

Why do you reckon Kimi is out?

His car is in the garage
    Cars aren't allowed in the pit lane under a red flag

If they put him out again he will get a penalty I guess.

are they gonna restart!!!
    Why else move the cars. Interesting.

I think we are all confused.
    It seems silly to race for another 20 mins under the safety car. And then there is the 10 minute notification to teams for a restart
    That is if the clock is still ticking and the two hour rule is in effect.

Read one of my posts above ;)

I'd say Kimi is on his way home TBH. Heh, nope, just leaving now.

I really, really hope there's punishment for whoever the hell decided to have the race at this time. If anything have it earlier than usual, the fans will get up early for it, those with a passing interest can get up for a race replay at 1 o'clock.
    But then again I doubt Bernie is going to punish himself :P

Yup Kimi outta race suit and having what looks like ice cream :D

Yup Kimi outta race suit and having what looks like ice cream :D

Stupid tattoo he got.

Stupid tattoo he got.

I like it :)
    Tis cool.

Going to be very difficult for drivers to get temperture back up in the cars. (brakes esp). Onlt two mintues max behind saftey car. Watch out for mechanical glicthes especially with the KERS cars

Prediction Timo Clock for the win

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

Missed start, can someone tell me what happened up till now....What was start like? Any crashes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

BBC saying race is now over.

Half points all round.

outta time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

It's over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Only half points as less than 75% of the race complete.

• Advertisement
Advertisement