Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roll call for this weekend

• 01-04-2009 1:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭

Quite a few boardsies in action this weekend, and with many different threads floating around both here and in training logs, I thought it might be a good idea to have a one-stop shop for all who are in marathon action this weekend, so we can think positive vibes for you! If you want to share your race number, please do, so that we can check up on you! ;)

Also might be good for all in action to post their race reports here, rather than us having the seek them out from a variety of sources.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Peckham wrote: »
    Quite a few boardsies in action this weekend, and with many different threads floating around both here and in training logs, I thought it might be a good idea to have a one-stop shop for all who are in marathon action this weekend, so we can think positive vibes for you! If you want to share your race number, please do, so that we can check up on you! ;)

Also might be good for all in action to post their race reports here, rather than us having the seek them out from a variety of sources.

Good idea!

Rotterdam marathon

Donothoponpop number 3308

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Good idea!

Rotterdam marathon

Paris
    Woddle 17420

I'm sure this site will have live timing
    http://www.tds-live.com/wtrpg/language.jsp?locale=2057&messaggio=&paginaFrom=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭RJC

Good idea!

Rotterdam marathon
    RJC number 4040

Coverage is on http://www.universalsports.com/
    Paris
    Woddle 17420

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Rotterdam marathon
    RJC number 4040
    Amadeus number 3426 Target 2:59 - 3:05

Paris
    Woddle 17420

Been too busy to really worry about it much. Disrupted training but I know I'll get to 18 - 20 at PMP and then it's a case of hold on as long as I can...

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Magnet

Rotterdam marathon
    RJC number 4040

Paris
    Woddle 17420
    Magnet 18229 in the 3.30 pen!

• Advertisement

Rotterdam marathon
    Donothoponpop 3308. Target 2:59
    RJC number 4040

Paris
    Woddle 17420

Are you still up for pacing duties DP? IIRC you were threatening a size 12 if I slacked off!

Are you still up for pacing duties DP? IIRC you were threatening a size 12 if I slacked off!
    :eek:Hold the front page! Amadeus in shock sub 3 admission!!!

Gotta be April fools day...;)

Yeah, plan is still to hit the half in 1:29 or so, keep it up till 20, and alternate between booter and bootee for the last 6. Can't wait now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

Rotterdam marathon
    RJC number 4040

Paris
    Woddle 17420
    MarieC 18746 in the 3.30 pen! (yikes!):eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Rotterdam marathon
    RJC number 4040
    Amadeus number 3426 Target 2:59 - 3:05 (Only one number allowed ;) - SJ)
    Slogger Jogger number 5342. Target: To draft behind Donothoponpop and get the same time :)

Paris
    Woddle 17420

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Rotterdam marathon
    RJC number 4040
    Amadeus number 3426 Target 2:59 - 3:05 (Only one number allowed ;) - SJ)
    Slogger Jogger number 5342. Target: To draft behind Donothoponpop and get the same time :)
    Village runner 3169. Target 2.58(very optomistic)
    not to fall into the trap of going out too hard. 1.29 at halfway.

Paris
    Woddle 17420

rrrrrrr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭Paddyontherun

Rotterdam marathon
    RJC number 4040
    Amadeus number 3426 Target 2:59 - 3:05 (Only one number allowed wink.gif - SJ)
    Slogger Jogger number 5342. Target: To draft behind Donothoponpop and get the same time smile.gif
    Village runner 3169. Target 2.58(very optomistic)
    not to fall into the trap of going out too hard. 1.29 at halfway.

Paddyontherun 7986 Target 4 hours

Paris
    Woddle 17420
    MarieC 18746 in the 3.30 pen! (yikes!)eek.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

I'll be in Paris supporting. Best of luck to all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

Best of Luck to everyone taking part in Rotterdam and Paris!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Just wanted to say best of luck to everyone doing a marathon this weeked - hope you all get your target times and enjoy the day :D

I'm heading off now and just wanted to say a big best of luck to the Rotterdam trio and SJ please take it easy on how far under 3 you go :D

And best of luck to all the Paris runners who I'll be joining and hopefully bump into.

Enjoy everybody :D

Woddle wrote: »
    I'm heading off now and just wanted to say a big best of luck to the Rotterdam trio and SJ please take it easy on how far under 3 you go :D

And best of luck to all the Paris runners who I'll be joining and hopefully bump into.

Enjoy everybody :D

Good luck out there Woddle, you've done the training, so go for it! Take it easy in the first half, you'll win your race in the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Bobby04

With all the talk around here of sub 3 marathons, MdS etc. I'm embarrassed to mention my measly 10K on Sunday :o

Best of luck to all running this weekend, and hope you all reach your goals.

Bobby04 wrote: »
    With all the talk around here of sub 3 marathons, MdS etc. I'm embarrassed to mention my measly 10K on Sunday :o

Best of luck to all running this weekend, and hope you all reach your goals.

It's just coincidence that there are a bunch of people aiming at the same time and racing on teh one weekend. The thing I like about this forum is that it caters for all levels and distances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

Me and three mates will be travelling from nottingham to take part in the 10K in Dublin this weekend. :D my ideal will be sub 55 minutes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

Good luck everyone!

i look forward to hearing how you all get on on monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭Bambaata

best of luck to all i those marathons (and other events). I'm taking part in the jealous wall duathlon on Sunday. not quite as exciting but i'm looking forward to it all the same :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Magnet wrote: »
    Rotterdam marathon
    RJC number 4040

Paris
    Woddle 17420

Looks like magnet did 3:23, not sure of my french so uncertain where she came in her category. tried searching other numbers but no results, probably computer glitches.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Well done to Magnet and Woddle who both finished and both did amazing. Haven't been able to see any Rotterdam results yet.

Rotterdam Marathon

Amadeus finished in 3:06 (new pb! congrats):D
    Donothoponpop 3:28 :eek:
    Slogger Jogger 3:36 :eek:

Well done Amadeus, he ran a great race. Don't know what happened me and SJ, we were bang on time at half, but started running backwards after that. Such is life. Nothing that can't be cured by a lot of Dutch Beer!

Well done to all five of you. Great times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Peckham

Looks like Woddle had a tough day there and got round in 4:05.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Peckham

Congrats Amadeus on an amazing PB, considering the lack of self-confidence leading up to the event (or were those mind games?!).

@ Donothoponpop/SJ - look forward to hearing the post-mortems. Were you out with those hen night girls last night?!

Looks like Woddle had a tough day there and got round in 4:05.

Yeah just looking at his 5km splits now.

• Advertisement

Congrats Amadeus on an amazing PB, considering the lack of self-confidence leading up to the event (or were those mind games?!).

@ Donothoponpop/SJ - look forward to hearing the post-mortems. Were you out with those hen night girls last night?!

Yeah he was really focused out here and very much up for it. We let the hens go, but are now in a different hotel with the Russian girls vollyball team, so maybe they'll take pity on us:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Performances of the day so far to Magnet to Amadeus.
    Just two weeks after the Ultra in Connemara Magnet runs a 3:22 marathon. Methinks a lot more may come from this girl.

Well done also to Amadeus. Ok not sub 3 but a great PB.
    Feel gutted for donothoponpop, Slogger Jogger & Woddle though.

Hope everyone else got on ok

Well done Amadeus and hard look guys, I'm feeling your pain. I personally had the worst running experiences of my life today and gave up after about 10 miles, I would have quit but I didn't know where I was so I figured its probably best to just finish., still a bit down but hope to sort that out with a few pints later with hard worker and co, I met 911sc who ran well but was also a little of the pace but only by a matter of mins.

Everyone can have a bad run and make mistakes but its the learning from it and not repeating thats important, roll on the next one, I think :D

Rotterdam: I had the death march from hell experience. It was ok until half way but the HR would not come down (175+). The 3:15 pacer passed me at half way and I couldn't hold on. I then had to drag the ass out of it for another 2 hours to complete the course. I had 3 walking breaks to control the HR but by that stage the calves were shredded (for some strange reason) and the form was in pieces. I knocked out two 9:06s at the end to close it out in 3:41. I would have quit but that would have been worse (just) than what I ended up doing. I've analysed it in my head and it was hot and the kms put me off but I think in the end my high HR was the problem - If I can do 3:20 marathons with less training and 67 min ballycottons in a HR of 162 the 175HR is a sign that something is wrong (what I don't know). I might get the GP to check me out.

Bad day at the office is the best description of it - don't train in the cold and race in the heat. As a consolation everybody seemed to be suffering from early on (13-16 miles). Well organised but I was not a fan of the drinking system not their intervals (5k apart in the last 10k is too far). Still everyting else was excellent.

The GP says I have a virus and has ordered loads of tests....so now I don't feel too bad............although he did give out to me for not bailing out at the half way mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

RJC wrote: »
    The GP says I have a virus and has ordered loads of tests....so now I don't feel too bad............although he did give out to me for not bailing out at the half way mark.

Totally understand the virus. Had it two weeks ago and still have it. going to get my bloods done thid week.
    Just returned from Rotterdam. 3.04.30 was my watch time down 7 min 28 from Berlin last year.
    Really expected to break the 3 hours. Ok till 32km and then fell in a whole. I will never know if it was the virus as i found myself working at 5km which shouldnt be the case. Initial disappointment but Utds win soon pu that in place. Bring on Berlin and I will def break it there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

RJC wrote: »
    Bad day at the office is the best description of it - don't train in the cold and race in the heat. As a consolation everybody seemed to be suffering from early on (13-16 miles).
    Just returned from Rotterdam. 3.04.30 was my watch time down 7 min 28 from Berlin last year.

I know someone else who is in 2.50s who was closer to 3.10 yesterday at Rotterdam. Text simply read 'wilted in the heat' so I'd say it was a big factor.

I read somewhere once about how much % in time you will lose in a marathon if you get a cold/virus in the 3rd last week of training. It was very significant. Most people think as long as it is cleared by the time the marathon comes along they are okay but by all accounts that is not the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭Paddyontherun

Just back from Rotterdam. Agree with RJC and Village runner, I share the same sentiments. Found the 2nd half very tough. Was aiming for 4 hours and finished in 4.16. 2 hours at half way and 2.16 for 2nd half. Was embarrased about last last 10k split until speaking to others who had similar experiences. The heat was a factor. Didn't realise how much until I saw the sunburn and the marks of my singlet. Times seemed to be down for everyone we spoke to so take heart. Head down for Dublin now.

Paddyontherun - Thanks for that. It was just a bummer to go out in hope and come home in disappointment but still, the heat was a major factor as my sunburn now attests.

Great run VR, after the worries you had going in to the race that was an excellent performance.

Major thumbs up to the Rotterdam organisers again - it really is an example of how a marathon should be run. Everything from the number collection to the finishing chute was perfect. Great support on the route as well but I wonder would they consider moving the start to 9am, considering the heat issues they have had? That said looking at the winners time it wasn't a factor for them!

{self indulgent race report now follows, readers of a delicate disposition look away now!}

Lined up at the start with SJ, DP and a lad from Dublin we had met at the Airport, all gung ho about our chances. First 5 ks were quick with first SJ and then DP setting the pace. In fact by the 5k marker DP was several hundred meters in front. SJ and I went through 5kms between 20 and 30 secs up and at that point I told him I was slowing down. I was timing our splits as 10secs / km too fast and my HR was mid 180s (rather than the low 170s). I felt bad watching the 3 lads trot off into the crowd but it was the right decision for me. My HR never went fully down (sticking in the mid 170s, maybe the heat?) but pace returned to normal.

10kms came and went in a chip time of 42:20, more or less bang on. Right foot was getting numb though, almost like my laces were too tight. At 15kms my official chip time is 1 second off the perfect pace and I could see the two lads a few hudred meters in front. We were holding a steady distance so I guessed we were running the same sort of pace. Foot was no longer numb but an old groin injury that I tweaked cross training a couple of weeks ago was starting to bother me. Not outright painful but quite uncomfortable.

On to halfway and my watch said I crossed it in 1:28 (although chip time has it at 1:30). By now I was hurting - right calf had a knot in it that was sore every time I took a stride and my left big toenail was in agony with every step - felt like it was being hit with a small but very hard hammer! By now I could also see DP falling back through the field and I passed him shortly after.

25kms and toe pain was fading (though calf and groin stayed sore all through) and on target at 1:46 and somewhere between there and 30kms I passed SJ. Finally caught up with the last of teh group in and around the 30km marker and by my watch I crossed 32kms in 2:18.

Which was pretty much on teh money. A 42 min 10k and I'm home in sub 3. For the first time I genuinely thought that it might happen.

D'oh!

Wheels fell off a bit and my pace slowed pretty dramatically, down to 4:30/km then 4:40 and even a 4:55. HR was in the mid 170s so I should have been able to pick it back up but there was nothing in the legs. Thankfully our friend from Dublin popped up on my shoulder with about 3kms to go and I was determined not to let him beat me! Last full km went by in 3:44 and an official finish time of 3:06:10, a PB by 5 minutes from Dublin last year.

{end race report}

At the risk of sounding condescending I have to say that the two lads showed remarkable mental toughness to get to the end. When I went past DP he looked like death - I seriously doubted he would finish. That he did - and in a good time - shows his resilience. Likewise with SJ - when I went past he looked fine but he obviously hit something that knocked him badly (especially seeing him after the race). The easy option would have been to roll over and out, why keep torturing yourself when you know your goal has gone? That they did is testament to their mental toughness and talent as runners.

And a big congrats to Magnet, great run in Paris.

As for Woddle, RJC and Paddy - nothing I can say that'll make it any better. Commiserations on not getting what you wanted out of the races but you know from your training and other races that you have better performances in you than those. Temporary setbacks that you can learn from and put right next time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Sumac

Just back from Rotterdam myself and also did it in 3:06, a PB for me (by a minute).
    I had thought I could run under 3:05 but didn't go as fast as expected in the 2nd half.
    I ran the 1st half in 01:34 and the 2nd in 01:32 so not too bad.
    While it felt quite warm I presume it was only 13 or 14 degrees - Anyone know what the temperature was during the race.
    Excellent organisation I thought and large crowds (though not the loudest in some parts.
    Loved the bands and the loudspeakers at different points and thought it was pretty cool to see the top guys so close up as us mere mortals were plodding along.
    All in all, enjoyed the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Sumac wrote: »
    Just back from Rotterdam myself and also did it in 3:06, a PB for me (by a minute).
    I had thought I could run under 3:05 but didn't go as fast as expected in the 2nd half.
    I ran the 1st half in 01:34 and the 2nd in 01:32 so not too bad.
    While it felt quite warm I presume it was only 13 or 14 degrees - Anyone know what the temperature was during the race.
    Excellent organisation I thought and large crowds (though not the loudest in some parts.
    Loved the bands and the loudspeakers at different points and thought it was pretty cool to see the top guys so close up as us mere mortals were plodding along.
    All in all, enjoyed the day

Well done Sumac. You must be pleased with that good negative split.
    Yes I checked the temp. It was 9C at start and by 2:30pm it was 14C. Surprised to hear so many thought it was warm. Probably signs of dehydration

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

Great support on the route as well but I wonder would they consider moving the start to 9am, considering the heat issues they have had? That said looking at the winners time it wasn't a factor for them!

If they didn't move the start time back after 2007 then I don't think they ever will. 34 degrees and the winner was the only one who got under 2:10. Lots of the elites were using that race for Championship qualifying times that year and dropped out early on knowing that they'd never get the times that day. Dropping out meant they'd have a shot at running a different marathon in a few weeks. First marathon I ever finished that my legs felt fresh afterwards because I had to walk so much of the damn thing!

I had heard 2007 was a 'mare - you must be one of the few that finished (didn't they pull people off teh course?). The 11 o'clock start is a mixed blessing - you get to eat brekkie at a civilised time but run teh risk of running through heat.

Personally I found it warm rather than hot and it wasn't that much of an issue when I was out there. I did sweat more than usual (my forehead was really crusty :eek:) but what I think caught some of teh Irish on teh hop was less the absolute heat on the day and more the differential between the weather they trained in and the weather they raced in. Another +1 for all those writers (Noaks, P&D, Daniels) who say that you need to replicate your race conditions as closely as you can in training I guess.

I think I finished 3 minutes after they started saying it was stopped. I didn't really hear anything about that until afterwards anyway. I think they were telling people it was cancelled and they could stop if they wanted - not too sure to be honest. There definitely were results posted for people 4.30+ and it allegedly was stopped after 3.30.

For any geeky types (like me :)) who ran Rotterdam teh ultimate in cool marathon analysis gizmos is now up - link here. Use the "search" tab to add yourself

Very cool toy!

Bah! That is the coolest thing ever! All races should have that. Forget any other extras - that's way more fun than the actual race. Beats the training partner on the Garmin hands down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

My Paris experience

I started the race with The_Viper2kie.We both had been short on training and I was hoping by some miracle to sneak in sub 4hr. Started fast but ok. Felt a coldsore burst out within a kilometre! No need to give a massive breakdown of my run as it was nothing amazing. I found it very very tough Those blasted tunnels were awful. I thought I was going to pass out or throw up in the first one and in the last 2 I thought Id either cry or have a heart attack. They were so hot and claustrophobic. I dont know what it was about the route that it was so hard. I know I hadn't the level of training done that Id have liked. Was doing ok-ish until 30k.At that point I was at 3:03. I had said goodbye to sub 4 but thought ok I'll get in soon after. the last 12km took me 1hr35! I just was in bits. My legs were so so tight. had to stop a few times to stretch. Found it quite hot also.

I came in at 4:38. I was not devastated as Id known that training hadn't gone my way. Was so glad to finish, for some reason found it a v.emotional run also -another thing I cant explain. Almost relieved to have a marathon time in the 4hr zone. Previous to this Id one sub 4hr and one over 5hr so getting an average now. No intention of staying in the 4hr zone though!

As time goes on I will be able to look more fondly on PM09. Im looking forward now to getting back to shorter runs and more fun without obligation.

By the way congrats to The_Viper2kie - he snuck in just under the 4hr!

Friends of friends walked the marathon so I ended up walking back a couple of miles of the route to wait for them and cheer them on. We were still there when participants were being treated as pedastrians and the music had stopped. The perserverance to keep going at that stage is something else. Was really nice to get to get the opportunity to cheer them on and encourage them. (Saw some excruciating images of men suffering from runner's nipples and runner's armpits - the pain!!!)

Congrats to everyone who achieved their goals and to those that it just didn't go right on the day, comisserations and roll on the next one!!

P.S - Wore my Boards AC singlet with pride and it did the job perfectly (except for being a magic singlet and flying me around the course)

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭McConkey

Well done Marie for your positive attitude and looking to the future despite things not going totally your way on the day. From the reviews it seems Paris 09 won't be too popular next year-between hot tunnels and banana-skin water stations...and the rest, well done to ye all for finishing in the face of adversity:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Marie C,
    my race sounds pretty similar to yours even our times to 30k and finish are pretty much the same as well!

I really didn't like the tunnels at all. Plus the smell of urine in them was awful. I was gagging a lot as I went through them. Vile, vile, vile.

I'm also feeling very negative about the Paris marathon but I really don't think it'll get any better with time.

About the only positive thing I could say about it is that I finished and I've no idea how I managed that! If someone had signed me a contract to say I'd never run again and a bin to burn my shoes in at the end of the race I'd happily have done it.

I'm still wincing when people say "what's next?"....

• Advertisement
Advertisement