Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

uTorrent on Eircom's 2247?

• 01-04-2009 1:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭

I've configured uTorrent to use port 43222 so after setting the firewall on the router config to low I defined two custom services:

Bittorrent TCP

Global Port Range 43222 - 43222

Base Port 43222

Protocol TCP

Bittorrent UDP

Base Port 43222

Protocol UDP

Under Customer Services I clicked on the Static NAT button and the drop down menu for Static NAT IP Address only lists the hostname of this box, I hit next and it says that it has been added.

I read that UDP only needs to be forwarded if the client supports DHT which I think uTorrent does because it lists DHT:237 nodes in the status bar.

It's a 3mbps line and I've been getting about 2.6mbps from speedtests today but it only sometimes spikes even close to it, right now it's downloading at 1mbps and is displaying the hazzard symbol. When I mouse over it it tells me "No incoming connections. Unless the icon turns green, it could indicate a problem with your network configuration" although it was green for a few minutes earlier on.

I'll leave it awhile and failing that try with the firewall set to off as opposed to low.

Is everything I've done correct and is there any more to do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

If I remember correctly you have to turn the firewall off for this to work, which of course makes the firewall a bit pointless. A friend of mine had to do something similar with his Eircom connection and it worked fine after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

LA3G wrote: »
    I've configured uTorrent to use port 43222 so after setting the firewall on the router config to low I defined two custom services:

Bittorrent TCP

Base Port 43222

Protocol TCP

Bittorrent UDP

Base Port 43222

Protocol UDP

Under Customer Services I clicked on the Static NAT button and the drop down menu for Static NAT IP Address only lists the hostname of this box, I hit next and it says that it has been added.

I read that UDP only needs to be forwarded if the client supports DHT which I think uTorrent does because it lists DHT:237 nodes in the status bar.

It's a 3mbps line and I've been getting about 2.6mbps from speedtests today but it only sometimes spikes even close to it, right now it's downloading at 1mbps and is displaying the hazzard symbol. When I mouse over it it tells me "No incoming connections. Unless the icon turns green, it could indicate a problem with your network configuration" although it was green for a few minutes earlier on.

I'll leave it awhile and failing that try with the firewall set to off as opposed to low.

Is everything I've done correct and is there any more to do?
    Turn off the Firewall (does nothing really good anyway because it's crap) and you don't need a Static NAT... just open the ports for a few IP address (192.168.1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 etc). Then click below to see if the port is open:

http://utorrent.com/testport.php?port=43222

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭runswithascript

rmacm wrote: »
    If I remember correctly you have to turn the firewall off for this to work, which of course makes the firewall a bit pointless. A friend of mine had to do something similar with his Eircom connection and it worked fine after that.
    cpu-dude wrote: »
    Turn off the Firewall (does nothing really good anyway because it's crap) and you don't need a Static NAT... just open the ports for a few IP address (192.168.1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 etc). Then click below to see if the port is open:

http://utorrent.com/testport.php?port=43222

Thanks, I've set the firewall to off but there's nowhere on the router config to enter a specific IP addresses for each port perhaps because this modem uses DHCP?

LA3G wrote: »
    Thanks, I've set the firewall to off but there's nowhere on the router config to enter a specific IP addresses for each port perhaps because this modem uses DHCP?
    Apologies, I'm thinking of my own router. Just add the Global Port Range for both TCP and UDP as well as the Base Host Port (all of them being 43232) and call it uTorrent1 and uTorrent2 (for TCP and UDP).

2247NWG-VGx6.jpg

Then, select them in the list and Enable them:

2247NWG-VGx4.jpg

Apologies, I'm thinking of my own router. Just add the Global Port Range for both TCP and UDP as well as the Base Host Port (all of them being 43232) and call it uTorrent1 and uTorrent2 (for TCP and UDP).

2247NWG-VGx6.jpg

Then, select them in the list and Enable them:
    2247NWG-VGx4.jpg

Cool thanks, that's what I've done and the static NAT set to the hostname of this computer was there by default after a reset.

On static internal IPs: PortForward.com's 2247NWG guide tells me I need one for port forwarding to work with this modem and I know how to configure that in TCP/IP client side but the link from that page on How to set up a static IP address on a Windows XP computer also mentions
    It is very important to setup a static ip address, if you are going to use port forwarding. When you have port forwarding setup, your router forwards ports to an ip address that you specify. This will probably work when you initially set it up, but after restarting your computer it may get a different ip address. When this happens the ports will no longer be forwarded to your computer's ip address. So the port forwarding configuration will not work.

Surely there must be some way to disable DHCP on the 2247? Or a way to force the static IP? I'm setting this up for a friend and I won't be here to troubleshoot it if it stops working.

• Advertisement

After entering the static TCP/IP addresses client side custom services, add static NAT's drop down menu now has the hostname of the box and the static IP I configured so I selected the later...

Perhaps one can assume that contrary to the guide a Static IP is not required because the router config is allowing you to select only the hostname of the box when DHCP is enabled on the computer?

You can limit the DHCP to only a specific range. Alternatively, you can define the Static NAT and manually assign that IP address on his computer so he will always get it. Some routers have options to assign a MAC address to a specific IP but I don't believe the Netopia can do that.

You can limit the DHCP to only a specific range. Alternatively, you can define the Static NAT and manually assign that IP address on his computer so he will always get it. Some routers have options to assign a MAC address to a specific IP but I don't believe the Netopia can do that.

Okay so I have it working great now with DHCP disabled on the router config, it's in expert mode => configure => connection.

I have the Static NAT manually assigned to this IP already, like I said when the client was configured for DHCP it only gave the hostname as the option but since defining a static IP the drop down menu now also has it as an option. I read in the guides already posted that even though the Static IP is configured on the box the DHCP on the modem may overwrite this after a reboot somehow? Which sounds strange because I can't imagine it possible for the router to set Obtain IP Automatically in TCP/IP...

On assigning DHCP to only a specific range there are only two values I can enter..

Router IP Address - 192.168.1.254

Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0

Are you talking about changing the later and if so what can I change it to so DHCP will not use all of the addresses and leave me with at least one so I could config the client with 192.168.1.243 or 192.168.1.2 and not worry it would ever be handed out to another client causing an IP conflict?

I'm talking about manually assigning the IP details in Windows (LAN > Properties > Advanced > Use the following IP address)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Here you go - easy done, easy do:

edit - link removed

• Advertisement

I'm talking about manually assigning the IP details in Windows (LAN > Properties > Advanced > Use the following IP address)

Yes, in TCP/IP, I've done that already. Just the PortForward guide said DHCP on the router may somehow assing the box a different IP.

I have it working now, DHCP enabled on the range 192.168.1.1-200 and the static IP on this PC is 201, works great, thanks for the help.

Don't click iRock's link, it's a Rick Roll video and when you try to close the tab or your browser there are hundreds of popups with the lyrics from the song so it crashes it and you have to task manager it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

what setting do you have in utorrent preferences, do you have UPnP enabled?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

viperlogic wrote: »
    what setting do you have in utorrent preferences, do you have UPnP enabled?

yeah- there's absolutely no need to go through all of this manual opening ports rigamorole - just enable UPnP on bot the router & utorrent, and it will work fine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

the only way i can get the green icon in utorrent with the 2247-02 is
    • firewall set to off
    • port forward for tcp port 43222
    • port forward for udp port 43222
    • UPnP turned off in utorrent

I dont like the fact that the firewall is set to off thou.

Can others post their config to get the green icon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭vorbis^cs

im on a 3mb line and i download max on utorrent at 320kbps but if i change my port is it possible to download at nearly 3Mbps??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

viperlogic wrote: »
    I dont like the fact that the firewall is set to off thou.

I've managed to get the "green icon" on eircom routers by setting the firewall to "low". You could get a seperate free firewall if you still arent happy.
    vorbis^cs wrote: »
    im on a 3mb line and i download max on utorrent at 320kbps but if i change my port is it possible to download at nearly 3Mbps??

I'd say 320kbps would be your max.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

Yeah all I can get is ~300kbps on an eircom 3MB line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

This is my config:

85248.png

i also have UPnP switched on in my netopia, and max out my connection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

kenon wrote: »
    I've managed to get the "green icon" on eircom routers by setting the firewall to "low". You could get a seperate free firewall if you still arent happy.

I'd say 320kbps would be your max.

I concur, setting router firewall to Low works. You will get green.

Also, before allowing uPnP, be aware there are dangers associated with this protocol, see here

But why use Toerrents at all, given the eircom 3 strikes deal with IRMA??

People should consider News Groups, as in here for $25(€18 approx).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Putting the firewall on low used to do it for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭vorbis^cs

i use peer guardian it allows to download or upload without giving out your ip so people like IMRA cant trace you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

vorbis^cs wrote: »
    i use peer guardian it allows to download or upload without giving out your ip so people like IMRA cant trace you

And the pic below is also true:

1179tfd.jpg

Advertisement