Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADSL Modem/Router w/ Print Server Recommend?

Options
  • 01-04-2009 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Can anyone recommend:

1. A good ADSL modem/Wireless Router
    2. A good ADSL modem/Wireless Router with Print Server

It is to replace a Netopia 33xx whatever that is supplied by Eircom.

Sorry for repost, wasn't having much luck in the wireless forum. Mods, feel free to delete my post in the wireless forum.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

You could put this sitting behind the Netopia and it would work.....

http://www.netgear.com/Products/PrintServers/WirelessPrintServers/WGPS606.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

You shouldn't run an Server from the same box as your firewall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 hijaQr

Thanks.

I was thinking of getting rid of the Netopia completely due to the range it gives off. I tried bridging the Netopia with another Wifi router and it didn't work, or at least I couldnt get it to, with my limited but somewhat suficient knowledge.

So I am looking at replacing the Netopia with something that has a significantly better WiFi output range. If I could sort that problem, I would have no problem in getting a seperate print server by itself.

This is for my parents, who want to use their laptop in the kitchen, which is the furthese possible place away from the transmitter! Grrrr.... I would prefer not to use those adapters that run through the power lines either.

My parents use both a cordless phone and Eircom phonewatch, so I have set the channel on the router and laptop adapter down to channel 1. Wouldnt this channel be the farthest away from the operating freqs of a cordless phone and Phonewatch?

Also, if generalisations can be made, which are best:

1. Linksys
    2. Netgear
    3. D-Link
    4. Other (specify)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

The answer you get to the above will genuinely depend on who you ask!

I like Linksys but others ok too...

Zyxel also fine these days.

Netgear and D-Link can be a bit flimsey but then others have good experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

There isn't much difference in range between routers. Also the range equally depends on your laptop or gadget.

• Advertisement
Advertisement