Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stealing swans for food?

Options
  • 01-04-2009 1:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭

Dodgey thread title i know. I was talking to a person in a local park recently who said they were there investigating complaints/reports of swans being stolen from the lakes. Another person there said that they suspected they were being taken for food as they had found a swans head. Does anyone know anything about this or have anymore information? As i heard it from someone who said they had made a complaint and from an animal rescue officer it seems true but its so horrific i would like more information if anyone has it. So has anyone ehard anything about this or know where i could get more information?Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭im_invisible

tastes like.... chicken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

There is an urban legend about some campers eating a swan for dinner after they'd been robbed, or something. Variations place them in whatever park is local to the storyteller - or on occasions they got into the grounds of Buckingham Palace (?!) I wouldn't pay too much attention to scare stories ...

possibly a variation on the deep fried rat urban legend :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Actually the swans heads being found is not an urban legend.

There was a case near Limerick last year where three heads were found on a riverbank along the Shannon. If I can I will try to find the link to that story as it made the local press.

It was never found out who killed the swans and why, but everything from Easten Europeans eating them to local scumbags killing them was banded about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭beaushalloe

tastes like.... chicken

if you havnt anything constructive to say........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

eh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Possibly true but they are all protected from being killed. They're the property of HRH Elizabeth II.

\edit should have quoted the post before it changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

Mcfast wrote: »
    Dodgey thread title i know. I was talking to a person in a local park recently who said they were there investigating complaints/reports of swans being stolen from the lakes. Another person there said that they suspected they were being taken for food as they had found a swans head. Does anyone know anything about this or have anymore information? As i heard it from someone who said they had made a complaint and from an animal rescue officer it seems true but its so horrific i would like more information if anyone has it. So has anyone ehard anything about this or know where i could get more information?Thanks

Our next door neighbours used to barbecue them in their back garden all last summer. Ducks too.
    Their garden is still full of Swan and duck feathers.
    Called the gards but nothing happened at all.

They had another one on Paddys day just gone there. So i guess its another summer of barbecued swans coming now too.

I guess its not much different to people eating chick really though when i think about it. Both involve killing birds and eating them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Well it is kind of different because swans mate for life so it affects breeding numbers a lot just by removing one fully mature mating pair.
    Also, chickens are bred on farms to be eaten, they are not wild and protected by law.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

I heard about this poaching and also poaching on lakes up in cavan and Monaghan. It is mostly east europeans that are doing it and there are lakes almost cleared of fish.
    We should employ soe of the people tat are on the dole to patrol our rivers and lakes and surrounding areas more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

jimd2 wrote: »
    We should employ some of the people that are on the dole to patrol our rivers and lakes and surrounding areas more.

Thats hillarious. Who's we? Is that you, Mr Cowen?

Advertisement