Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tyrrelstown info...

Options
  • 01-04-2009 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi all,

Myself and my g/f are seriously considering buying a house in Tyrrelstown so if anyone has any opinion of the area (good or bad) we'd love to hear it....

Also, how long would it take to cycle from Tyrrelstown (around cruise park area) to clonsilla train station, taking the church road route (I assume this is the quickest?)

Many thanks,
    Dub

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

tyrrelstown is ok in my opinion although alot of people in the area are either groups of eastern european workers livin together cramped into small houses or non national (mainly african)families who receive rent allowance in general though its an ok place but cycling to clonsilla train station is very dangerous as churchroad is a busy winding backroad with no footpath i personaly think it would be safer cycling to castleknock train station via the cruiserath road its about 5 mins quicker,still a good 20 mins or so though, also urbus see www.urbus.ie has been extended to tyrrelstown and it serves castleknock train station all in all its a good multicultural area,serious lack of school places though
    hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭dubdec99

Cheers for that triple-m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Check out http://www.tyrrelstown.net/forum/ . There's similar threads over there already about this. By all accounts it's a good place to live and the points triple-m raised above re. the type of people who live there is completely the norm for any new estate anywhere in Dublin.
    How he knows that the non national families are receiving rent allowance is for another thread.

Much obliged

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

triple-m, those type of border-line racist comments are not welcome here, be warned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

triple-M wrote: »
    tyrrelstown is ok in my opinion although alot of people in the area are either groups of eastern european workers livin together cramped into small houses or non national (mainly african)families who receive rent allowance in general though its an ok place but cycling to clonsilla train station is very dangerous as churchroad is a busy winding backroad with no footpath i personaly think it would be safer cycling to castleknock train station via the cruiserath road its about 5 mins quicker,still a good 20 mins or so though, also urbus see www.urbus.ie has been extended to tyrrelstown and it serves castleknock train station all in all its a good multicultural area,serious lack of school places though
    hope this helps

Church Road has had a footpath from Tyrellstown to the roundabout at Castlecurragh for a while now...

Anyone know where the exact location of this planned development is? http://www.nabco.ie/New_Cooperative_Housing_at_Tyrrelstown_Park__Fingal/Default.172.html

Might be worth checking out...I've looked at a map of the area but can't see tyrrelstown park or road anywhere on it (probably staring me right in the face :))

It's a reasonably new road. If you're coming up Church Road from Mulhuddart you get to a roundabout (used to be a traffic light controlled junction) where you go straight for Tyrrelstown, take the first left and that's the road the development is going to be on.

The development is not due to be finished until 2011 :(, however we have our eye on a place in the oaklands village development, gonna view again next week, we had to cut short our first viewing but it looks a nice area from what I saw...

Jip wrote: »
    It's a reasonably new road. If you're coming up Church Road from Mulhuddart you get to a roundabout (used to be a traffic light controlled junction) where you go straight for Tyrrelstown, take the first left and that's the road the development is going to be on.

Is that the roundabout at the junction of church road and cruiserath road?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

dubdec99 wrote: »
    Is that the roundabout at the junction of church road and cruiserath road?

Yeah thats the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Hi, There was a thread on T'stown back in July 08 and this is what I said at the time:
    I lived in Tyrrelstown for two years before getting married and moving. I loved it. Nice mix of housing (I had nice two bed apartment). Village is brilliant with Lidl and Superquinn. There is a ptsb there now. Pub was good as well. I had no problems getting the bus into town for work either. I still use the village there now and I think it looks like a really nice area. Really grown in well - there must have been a big budget for planting at initial stages. Think it is much better than (for example) Ongar and much better value for your money!

Update:
    And as it happens I was up there today - in the little towncentre. As I drove in I was thinking the whole estate/development is looking great. Fabulous daffodils out at the moment. Best of luck with your search but for what it's worth I spent a lovely two years there.

Ps. If you do a search through the D15 forum you should find the original thread

Cheers one and all for your opinions and help

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭flowerific

Gaspode wrote: »
    triple-m, those type of border-line racist comments are not welcome here, be warned.

Why was it a racist remark?. I know Tyrrelstown and agree with Triple-m post. It is also Outlined in the Public reports:Blanchardstown Area Partnership Annual Census Reports and mentioned in the Profile of the needs for Tyrresltown Community report.
    It seems you can't even mention the word African or non national these days without someone calling you a racist and taking a context of a post up wrong

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

If you have a problem with moderation take it to pm please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

dubdec99 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Myself and my g/f are seriously considering buying a house in Tyrrelstown so if anyone has any opinion of the area (good or bad) we'd love to hear it....

Also, how long would it take to cycle from Tyrrelstown (around cruise park area) to clonsilla train station, taking the church road route (I assume this is the quickest?)

Many thanks,
    Dub

dubdec,

whats your rush to buy ?
    why don't you rent there for a year and see what the place is like.
    In my opinion the amount that you are likely to pay in rent for the year will be less than the drop in price of that property over the course of the year.
    if you buy a place now in a relatively new area such as tyrellstown and you don't like it .. you may not be able to sell for some time.
    in fact if you are going to be commuting via clonsilla station i think you would be better off looking at Ongar ,st.mochtas or somewhere nearer the station.
    Its been a while since i lived in D15 but if my memory serves me correct tyrellstown is one of the furthest areas in the D15 away from Clonsilla train station.

hope this helps.
    rgds,
    Gollem

We're now actually favouring Ongar :-) We've been renting two years now in santry and have decided to buy - we could rent a while longer as you suggested but we'd now rather pay our own mortgage instead of someone else's....I'd love to be able to know when the bottom of the market will be reached and buy then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭flowerific

Gaspode wrote: »
    If you have a problem with moderation take it to pm please.

I'm all for moderation, Drink, chocolate etc. :P

before you buy, check out the traffic at 7.30 or 8.00am, it's a lot easier to travel in from Santry.
    If it's such a great place to live, why are house prices so cheap?
    4 bed less than 250k on daft.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I agree check out the traffic. But we have a reasonably good (imo) transport service in D15. The train is fantastic. And the bus, while slow is very regular.

I think D15 is a nice place to live - so many amenities close by and loads to do: The towncentre, the library, Draoicht, nice places to eat, the canal, the Phoenix Park, the new allotments, the cinema, bowling, the NAC (I'm going there for the first time today, will report back!).

Maybe even Snowtopia if it can get past the planners!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Salome

Oh I agree - I'm buying a place in Tyrrelstown and I can't wait!!! I'm local so I know the area and location and amenities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

deubdec99 wrote:
    We're now actually favouring Ongar :-) We've been renting two years now in santry and have decided to buy - we could rent a while longer as you suggested but we'd now rather pay our own mortgage instead of someone else's....I'd love to be able to know when the bottom of the market will be reached and buy then

So you would rather pay 'someone else's mortgage' for lets say one year than wait and save more than the equivalent of the drop in the price in that time frame?

We're no way near bottom yet.
    before you buy, check out the traffic at 7.30 or 8.00am, it's a lot easier to travel in from Santry.
    If it's such a great place to live, why are house prices so cheap?
    4 bed less than 250k on daft.ie

Because its a house crash.

TT is so far out hence the prices will be cheaper in general than somewhere nearer to the city centre and established like Santry.

gurramok wrote: »
    TT is so far out hence the prices will be cheaper in general than somewhere nearer to the city centre and established like Santry.

I don't know where people get the impression that Tyrrelstown is so far out, it aint. Disregarding traffic it's 5 minutes or less to the Blancahrdstown Centre or Aquatic Centre for example, alot closer than most of Ongar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭Polar101

Disregarding traffic it's 5 minutes or less to the Blancahrdstown Centre or Aquatic Centre for example, alot closer than most of Ongar.

D15 is pretty close to anywhere in Dublin, if you disregard traffic. Which wouldn't have a lot to do with the real world.

Well lets regard traffic then, from Tyrrelstown to the N3 junction just before Scotts Roundabout it's about 5 minutes in the mornings, alot quicker than getting there from Ongar. Is that ok ?

Hmm, maybe we should wait another year....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I don't know where people get the impression that Tyrrelstown is so far out, it aint. Disregarding traffic it's 5 minutes or less to the Blancahrdstown Centre or Aquatic Centre for example, alot closer than most of Ongar.

So far out from the 'city centre', not Blanch centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Salome

I live in D15 and work in D2 - it takes me 45 mins to get in to town from the slip road onto the N3 near Waterville/back of the hospital at 8.00 by car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

your local so if you are happy to Buy there thats great, what more could you want in fairness. but for someone whos obviously not local and who i assume does not have a car (the op) i would be reluctant to recommend buying in tyrellstown at present...and i agree with gurramok.

• Advertisement

gurramok wrote: »
    So far out from the 'city centre', not Blanch centre.

And yet still closer than most of Ongar, Lucan and a whole lot of Tallaght.
    No matter what area of Dublin you pick there's always going to be another area closer or further out.

Advertisement