Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media Censorship and Free Speech

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I have a feeling its a April Fools day joke.

Then again the way the government are running the country is one major joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

OH Brian Cowen btw ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

About time tbh. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Im gonna tell on you Gandalf!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭TomRooney

Barname wrote: »
    It appears that powerful people are too busy scanning boards.ie rather than running the country (into the ground)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59640375&postcount=20

Can we expect the Gardai soon?

censorship is nothing new in this country, this country has more in common with communist china in regards censorship than it does with a western country.

just think back to not so long ago when the state made it illegal to hear the voices of Republicans in the media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Well from what I have read on the topics concerning [who shall not be named] I believe the restrictions being supposedly placed on Boards.ie are nothing short of completely unconstitutional - and Boards IMO should really be standing up for the right of free speech - ESPECIALLY when it concern the main political powers in the country.

Those men/women place themselves in a position of scrutiny by taking up their positions in government, and have no legal right to censor what people may discuss on an open forum.

This is beginning to smell of oppression, and I cannot believe Boards is bending over and taking it the way they are - instead of standing up for their rights as a forum of free speech, if not only for the site, but especially for their members.

As a matter of fact - I think this should be leaked to the press.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I can't believe people are falling for this :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Brian cowen, M.C.D., what a load of balls, if this isn't an april fools joke then this place has finally lost it altogether.

Nothing against DeVore, Cloud or anyone else they are just making sure they don't get sued which is fair enough but this is a load of balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

Well from what I have read on the topics concerning [who shall not be named] I believe the restrictions being supposedly placed on Boards.ie are nothing short of completely unconstitutional - and Boards IMO should really be standing up for the right of free speech - ESPECIALLY when it concern the main political powers in the country.

Those men/women place themselves in a position of scrutiny by taking up their positions in government, and have no legal right to censor what people may discuss on an open forum.

This is beginning to smell of oppression, and I cannot believe Boards is bending over and taking it the way they are - instead of standing up for their rights as a forum of free speech, if not only for the site, but especially for their members.

As a matter of fact - I think this should be leaked to the press.

It does not need to be 'Leaked to the press'? It is an open matter. This is a public forum.

I can only conclude that the Zanu-FF title is becoming more and more appropriate for the governing one party state that we live in.

These are Mugabesque times in Ireland.

Thank God we dont have our own currency anymore as the ruling muppets would have been running the printing press 24/7 of late.

Barname

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

It appears that powerful people are too busy scanning boards.ie rather than running the country (into the ground)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59640375&postcount=20

Can we expect the Gardai soon?

WTF

Nice to see there are plenty of rats out there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

dsmythy wrote: »
    Seaneh wrote: »
    Brian cowen, M.C.D., what a load of balls, if this isn't an april fools joke then this place has finally lost it altogether.

Nothing against DeVore, Cloud or anyone else they are just making sure they don't get sued which is fair enough but this is a load of balls.

To be honest it looks real to me:

01-04-2009, 4:44 heruka NEVER GuanYin phoenix account sceptre

01-04-2009, 4:17 GuanYin NEVER insulting behaviour, undermining rules sceptre

Both taken from the ban list and a lot of posts mentioning the unmentionable today have been removed.

dsmythy wrote: »

no joking here smythy...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055526304&page=3

There is the thread..

The Mod clearly states at least twice that correspondance to desist has been received.

No further information has been released to us.

What the hell is going on?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59644495&postcount=24

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Very clever. By making us refer to Ireland as "An Shean Bhean Bhoct" and BC as "An Raper o na Shean Bhean ", he automatically makes his rep sound better......

It does not need to be 'Leaked to the press'? It is an open matter. This is a public forum.

I can only conclude that the Zanu-FF title is becoming more and more appropriate for the governing one party state that we live in.

Thank God we dont have our own currency anymore as the ruling muppets would have been running the printing press 24/7 of late.

Barname

Well 'leaked' may have been the incorrect word to use, but if this is indeed true - people need to know the extent that this current government will go to in order to keep their 'subjects' quiet.

Regarding it being an 'open matter' and 'public forum' - is that not exactly what is being attacked by banning talk of the un-elected one?

Well 'leaked' may have been the incorrect word to use, but if this is indeed true - people need to know the extent that this current government will go to in order to keep their 'subjects' quiet.

Regarding it being an 'open matter' and 'public forum' - is that not exactly what is being attacked by banning talk of the un-elected one?

dude, we are in agreeance.

effectively, my understanding is, that a legal team is issuing threatening corr. against anyone bothering to note that the Emperor is truly naked...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

A privately owned public forum so free speech does not apply.
    Look, could you not insult the people who have to live through the horror of everyday life under that brutal regime?

People who compare Ireland to dictatorships/societies where the media and free speech are strictly controlled... strike me as desperate for a bit of melodrama. You won't get thrown into prison and tortured in this country, you'll get sued.

Dudess wrote: »

Look, could you not insult the people who have to live through the horror of everyday life under that brutal regime?

People who compare Ireland to dictatorships/societies where the media and free speech are strictly controlled... strike me as desperate for a bit of melodrama. You won't get thrown into prison and tortured in this country, you'll get sued.

the ugly head of dictaorship has been evident in Ireland since its inception as a nation.

People who compare Ireland to dictatorships/societies where the media and free speech are strictly controlled... strike me as desperate for a bit of melodrama.

Then why the writs?

Explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Hmm. Just to clarify the matter a little further - in particular we would ask you to refrain from linking Mugabe/Zimbabwe and members of our own elected government for the moment. Use of terms like 'Zanu-FF' will attract prompt action.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

TomRooney wrote: »
    the ugly head of dictaorship has been evident in Ireland since its inception as a nation.

Tom,

I would not mind if we had a proper dictator, except we get the Irish version, a snivelling disgusting bend with the wind type conjuring self serving populist type.

la démocratie est morte

• Advertisement

TomRooney wrote: »
    la démocratie est morte
    Sure. I suggest you do some reading on the following: Chile, North Korea, Cambodia, Afghanistan, apartheid South Africa, The Philippines, Congo, Sudan, El Salvador. For starters.
    I would not mind if we had a proper dictator
    'Course ya wouldn't.
    Then why the writs?

Explain.
    It's vile (if true - why are you so slow to accept it may be an April Fool's Day joke?) but will it result in people being thrown in prison/killed?

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Hmm. Just to clarify the matter a little further - in particular we would ask you to refrain from linking Mugabe/Zimbabwe and members of our own elected government for the moment. Use of terms like 'Zanu-FF' will attract prompt action.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

There are alot of similarities...
    • The abuse of Patronage
    • The 'some animals are more equal than others' attitude displayed by the likes of Martin Cullen and Mary Harneys luxurious excesses as verified by FOI disclosures
    • The attempts effective to censoring of public forums
    not to be argumentative but shall I continue?

'Course ya wouldn't.

my understanding of boards.ie rules is that partial quotes are infractable.

infract yourself their mod :pac:

It's vile (if true - why are you so slow to accept it may be an April Fool's Day joke?) but will it result in people being thrown in prison/killed?

Gardai did conduct an investigation into a painting.

Mr Casby (the Artist) was interviwed by Detectives.

Charges may be filed.

All over a painting?

now who is ridiculous?

There are alot of similarities...
    • The abuse of Patronage
    • The 'some animals are more equal than others' attitude displayed by the likes of Martin Cullen and Mary Harneys luxurious excesses as verified by FOI disclosures
    • The attempts effective to censoring of public forums
    not to be argumentative but shall I continue?
    State murder, torture, imprisonment, intimidation campaigns... oh wait.

Do you not see the irony of your whingeing about what you perceive as censorship?

It seems that the Political forum itself has become too political.
    Originally Posted by Dudess viewpost.gif

I believe Cafe's/pubs/bars/nightclubs/restaurants etc etc are all privately owned, public forums. Being privately owned does not immediately give anyone the authority to disregard a Constitutional right.
    6. 1° The State guarantees liberty for the exercise of the
    following rights, subject to public order and morality:
    CONSTITUTION OF IRELAND – BUNREACHT NA hÉIREANN
    i. The right of the citizens to express freely their
    convictions and opinions.
    The education of public opinion being,
    however, a matter of such grave import to
    the common good, the State shall
    endeavour to ensure that organs of public
    opinion, such as the radio, the press, the
    cinema, while preserving their rightful
    liberty of expression, including criticism of
    Government policy
    , shall not be used to
    undermine public order or morality or the
    authority of the State.
    The publication or utterance of
    blasphemous, seditious, or indecent matter
    is an offence which shall be punishable in
    accordance with law.

Taken directly from our very own Constitution.

Boards is reacting in a very silly manner (if true) to a request made by our very own Government, which is, in fact, unlawful and unconstitutional.

Tom,

I would not mind if we had a proper dictator, except we get the Irish version, a snivelling disgusting bend with the wind type conjuring self serving populist type.

la démocratie est morte

haha true so very true.

State murder, torture, imprisonment, intimidation campaigns... oh wait.

Do you not see the irony of your whingeing about what you perceive as censorship?

There is no Irony in your attempt to deflect the OP and its context.

Release the writ for all to examine.

LOL - awesome :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Scofflaw wrote: »

moderately,
    Scofflaw
    So very sad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement