Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media Censorship and Free Speech

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

SkepticOne wrote: »
    So very sad.

What makes his comment worse is the fact that [he that shall not be named] was in fact NOT 'elected' as Taoiseach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

He said "government", not "taoiseach"... and Fianna Fáil was voted in as the government.

Seriously, the "let's pretend we live in a repressed banana republic cuz it's kinda romantic" mindset is getting old...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

What makes his comment worse is the fact that [he that shall not be named] was in fact NOT voted in as Taoiseach.

What makes matters worse is the following:
    “The electoral mandate that we work off is 2007. I don’t think this country wants, or needs an election to be honest.”
    Brian Cowen March 29th 2009

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2009/0330/1224243690662.html

Cowen THINKS he has a mandate.

He inherited his seat.
    He was not elected Taoiseach by the people.

Dudess wrote: »
    He said "government", not "taoiseach"... and Fianna Fáil was voted in as the government.

Seriously, the "let's pretend we live in a repressed banana republic cuz it's kinda romantic" mindset is getting old...

You would have to be in denial so as to be unaware of how badly this country is being ran.

The Waste
    The Patronage
    The Excess
    The Bloat
    The woeful management at EVERY level

The balance sheet is bust. WAKE UP PEOPLE

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭aineolach

Boards is reacting in a very silly manner (if true) to a request made by our very own Government, which is, in fact, unlawful and unconstitutional.

You're just trying to undermine their authority. You will respect their authority!

• Advertisement

aineolach wrote: »
    You're just trying to undermine their authority. You will respect their authority!

Nobody's authority is above the Constitution I'm afraid!

I notice I have not had a reply (by anyone representing boards) to that particular post of mine either. Says a lot.

Dudess wrote: »

The FF that was voted to Government - with Ahern as Taoiseach, is vastly different to that which is in power today.

An election is needed, although I believe complete and utter reform is required, but never happening.

Nobody's authority is above the Constitution I'm afraid!

I notice I have not had a reply (by anyone representing boards) to that particular post of mine either. Says a lot.

Gunner did you check my links?

All I have asked for from the Mod is to see the correspondance.

It truly is remarkable that such attempts to quell free speech are being pushed by this Government.

Maybe its time to email Hookie or Matt Cooper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Cowen is the lawful Teaseach and FF lawfully and constitutionally form the Government here but that is not really the issue here, imo.

What it says to me is that the current government is on its last legs and is using threats of legal action in an attempt to cling onto power a little longer. Hopefully this will become a political issue and backfire on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

As a matter of interest, why did the overweight guy with glasses (I didn't use his name:D) who runs the country order censorship on this forum? What have I missed?

• Advertisement

The FF that was voted to Government - with Ahern as Taoiseach, is vastly different to that which is in power today.

An election is needed, although I believe complete and utter reform is required, but never happening.

What makes matters worse is the following:
    “The electoral mandate that we work off is 2007. I don’t think this country wants, or needs an election to be honest.”
    Brian Cowen March 29th 2009

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...243690662.html

He inherited his seat.
    user_online.gifreport.gif progress.gifedit.gif

Barname wrote: »
    Gunner did you check my links?

All I have asked for from the Mod is to see the correspondance.

It truly is remarkable that such attempts to quell free speech are being pushed by this Government.

Maybe its time to email Hookie or Matt Cooper?

I had already read the content and the mod being banned etc etc before I saw this thread, which is how I have become so involved with this thread.

I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to scan the letter and post it up for all to see.

Though as this seems a little pro FF, they'll probably have to have a consultation, get a loan from the bank to pay for said consultation (at 3000% interest), get a consultation about the consultation. Hire somebody to actually take on board the work that the consultation has recommended, which will involve hiring 4 deputee's to oversee the work that will actually be sub-contracted to a non-irish firm, will finish over budget, and about 2 years after everyone has forgotten all about the damn letter in the first place.

Then starts the enquiry and subsequent tribunal into why the scanner that was supposed to scan said document was actually acquired from a firm owned by Biffo's second cousins fiancee, at 2000x the price that would be paid had he went to a high street shop.

And we'd still never get to see the letter.

I had already read the content and the mod being banned etc etc before I saw this thread, which is how I have become so involved with this thread.

I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to scan the letter and post it up for all to see.

Though as this seems a little pro FF, they'll probably have to have a consultation, get a loan from the bank to pay for said consultation (at 3000% interest), get a consultation about the consultation. Hire somebody to actually take on board the work that the consultation has recommended, which will involve hiring 4 deputee's to oversee the work that will actually be sub-contracted to a non-irish firm, will finish over budget, and about 2 years after everyone has forgotten all about the damn letter in the first place.

Then starts the enquiry and subsequent tribunal into why the scanner that was supposed to scan said document was actually acquired from a firm owned by Biffo's second cousins fiancee, at 2000x the price that would be paid had he went to a high street shop.

And we'd still never get to see the letter.

You couldnt make it up!

Thats how all documentation in this country is supressed.
    Harney excels at it.

And those in denial dont think we live in a banana republic?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Until told otherwise I assume this is an April Fools day joke going stale. If its not I would expect a scan of the letter they received to be posted here for all to see.

gandalf wrote: »
    Until told otherwise I assume this is an April Fools day joke going stale. If its not I would expect a scan of the letter they received to be posted here for all to see.
    Apparently it goes on all day in Ireland.

SkepticOne wrote: »
    Apparently it goes on all day in Ireland.

Or for your full term if you are in Government :D

No! :mad:

You can't see the letter. I have it (obviously, seeing as I'm the Alternative & Indie moderator) and I'm not showing anyone.

The paranoia on this thread is hilarious! :D:D:D
    There isn't even any proof of what the conspiracy theorists are speculating so they're just deciding it's the case.

Absolutely right - you couldn't make it up!

Oh and I'm not denying Ireland is in a disastrous state at the moment, I'm just denying the notion it's comparable to a brutal dictatorship...

Maybe they should have the next election on April 1st? That way at least we'd know the government was a joke lol

I've received a serious PM regarding this thread.

I don't want to close it but unfortunately for legal reasons the next poster to mention (or allude to) Fianna Fáil or any of its members will be banned.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59640375&postcount=20
    I'd rather not discuss it too much lads. It was a very serious PM. Was signed and had the date on it and all.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59644495&postcount=24

Feel free to review the above links and kindly advise if you think more information should be more forthcoming?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

All of the information possibly available on this issue is already in the public domain. There is no more information which can be supplied.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    All of the information possibly available on this issue is already in the public domain. There is no more information which can be supplied.

Seamus,

Link Please

Kind regards, Barname.

Yawn, carrying on April fools day jokes beyond 12pm is so yesterday.

(Unless you are from Zani-FF and are doing your level best to bankrupt the country and your name is Brian Cowen!).

seamus wrote: »

Pull the other one, will you?!

If this is not a ridiculously drawn out April fools joke, I think the letter (or at least a transcript of same, verbatim) should be shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

He inherited his seat.

I think you will find that the voters of Laois-Offaly elected BC as their TD.

Nobody is elected Taoiseach "by the people". The constitution provides that the Taoiseach be elected by the Dail.

gandalf wrote: »
    Yawn, carrying on April fools day jokes beyond 12pm is so yesterday.
    Especially after it's been called several times.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59640375&postcount=20

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59644495&postcount=24

Feel free to review the above links and kindly advise if you think more information should be more forthcoming?
    Wait a sec... you WANT this be true don't you?! Nothing like a bit of drama! :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

As a matter of interest, why did the overweight guy with glasses (I didn't use his name:D) who runs the country order censorship on this forum? What have I missed?
    Along with most other people.... the date, apparently! :)

DeV.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Not trying to be smart but what reason (in the letter) is been given to not talk about him on here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

This probably seemed like a good idea last night...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Not trying to be smart but what reason (in the letter) is been given to not talk about him on here?

They asked very nicely and in fairness to DeV and the rest they were courteous enough to comply and instruct the moderation team to crack down on it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement