Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elections 5th June - Rush/Lusk/Skerries issues

Options
  • 01-04-2009 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭

Following on from Claudius64's thread re Balbriggan, how about I start one for Rush/Lusk/Skerries?

I really only have one main issue at present:

1) Can we get our local representatives to get Iarnród Éireann to hurry up and finish the bloody car park at Rush & Lusk station, I'm sick of losing €500 in petrol costs by having to drive to Donabate each day just to get parking.

Fell free to add more then we can have a list of requests for our local representatives for when they start canvassing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,857 ✭✭✭billyhead

They should build a cycling lane from Rush as far as the R132. Cycling into work these days from Rush as far as here can be a nightmare with cars up on top of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

There are so many issues to bring up its frightening.

The biggest problem in Rush as I see it is underage drinking and the need for more Gardai. Its terrible to hear elderly people are afraid to walk down the street some nights. It aint the Guards fault its just a lack of manpower.

The north beach in Rush should have the bollards put back in place to stop people speeding and doing handbrake turns on beah and others who just drive their bangers out as far as they can and abandon them and this causes serious pollution, just like the sewage!!.

Rush has some great clubs and organisations and St. Maurs G.A.A club do great work with over 1000 children getting coached every week but the access to the club is desperte. No lights from Kenure on one side and from Palmer Avenue on the other side and this effectivly means without a car the facilities are not accessable during the winter. Here we have a club doing great work and after 27 years begging still no lights or footpath. Crazy. And on footpaths is it to much to ask Fingal C C to clean the side of the paths. Some paths are 12 to 16 wider but because of build up of mud they look narrower than they are.

Dont forget to look at the L.A.P for Kenure and see 1000 houses are planned/proposed for Rush and as it is we cant cope with what we have.
    hIGH TIME WE SHOWED A SENSE OF OUTRAGE AT SOME THINGS DONE BY THE COUNCIL.

Lusk will get stuff done and so will Skerries but it seems that old headline from the 1970s "The forgotten town of Fingal" is still the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭midonogh

Build proper steps/access across the ballast pit to Skerries train station. Small amount of investment will make life a lot more for commuters. The swimming pool is not going to be built any time soon if at all, just give us a few steps and maybe a light. This is the sort of small scale issues that local public representatives should look after.

However I would defer to the post above about proper access to St Maurs GAA club.

This is the sort of small scale issues that local public representatives should look after.

However I would defer to the post above about proper access to St Maurs GAA club.[/quote]

Dont take my comments as a jibe. Its basically pointing the finger at local politicans who assisted putting in place a great facility but they forgot to finish it. Bit like building a house but not putting a door on it.

The view is a lot of things get done in areas where there are elected reps. Rush have only had the late Sean Sweeney and now Joe Corr. Joe seems very fair but over the years some beautiful work has been done around Fingal but Rush seems left out.

As for the steps across the ballast pit, this should hace been done years ago. Local councillors need to be given more power.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭midonogh

LeoB wrote: »
    This is the sort of small scale issues that local public representatives should look after.

However I would defer to the post above about proper access to St Maurs GAA club.

"Dont take my comments as a jibe. Its basically pointing the finger at local politicans who assisted putting in place a great facility but they forgot to finish it. Bit like building a house but not putting a door on it.

The view is a lot of things get done in areas where there are elected reps. Rush have only had the late Sean Sweeney and now Joe Corr. Joe seems very fair but over the years some beautiful work has been done around Fingal but Rush seems left out.

As for the steps across the ballast pit, this should hace been done years ago. Local councillors need to be given more power.[/quote]"

Not at all LeoB. In Skerries we can at least access the train station from the Dublin road. There is no way to St Maurs other than along Palmer Road or the Boggy Road. I travel this road quite often, it is busy, filthy and dangerous. Trucks and tractors pulling machinery having to squeeze past groups of young children coming back from matches. If money is the limiting factor sort out access to St Maurs and then the Ballast pit.

• Advertisement

Not at all LeoB. In Skerries we can at least access the train station from the Dublin road. There is no way to St Maurs other than along Palmer Road or the Boggy Road. I travel this road quite often, it is busy, filthy and dangerous. Trucks and tractors pulling machinery having to squeeze past groups of young children coming back from matches. If money is the limiting factor sort out access to St Maurs and then the Ballast pit.[/quote]

I dont think money has been the issue its just the lack of will on the part of people with the purse strings We dont seem to have the culture in this country of doing whats right and proper for the people. It all appears to be point scoring with a lot of politicans ALL the time.
    So maybe we need to give a hit list to Fingal Independent and priortise what needs to be done from the point of view of ordinary local people. The top 3 things say in Rush, Skerries, Baalbriggan and Lusk. It would be an interesting project to see what happens. Interested?
    I have'nt been across the Ballast pit in years. I imagine it is dangerous in the winter whe its wet and dark in the early morning or late in the evening..
    I think I will email Shane Cassells and Hubert Murphy later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

secondary school in Lusk

A secondary school is proposed in the latest LAP for Kenure Rush where over 1,000 houses are also proposed. This will be badly needed as Rush has grown quite a bit and the population is forecast at c 15,000 by 2012/13. Dont know the figures for Lusk but Lusk have had a boom in population over the last few years also.

The school is proposed for ground beside St Maurs G.A.A club on the village side of club. There is also open space provided for and I know submissions have been made to reverse these sites so to have open space/playing fields next to club and have school closer to the town. It make sense to do this.

Billyhead, I believe the proposed new road from Rush to Lusk has been scrapped!!! Why? Are you sitting down? Have you someone close by? Fingal C.C gave planning permission for a house right in the path of the new road. I heard this from a developer......
    The cycle lane would be great but Fingal C.C leave these roads in terrible state with build up of mud and filth along the verges not only here but all over the place. It cant be that hard to arrange for a road sweep every week during winter or every few weeks during summer.

Going back to the original post I am sure there are by-laws to deal with the growth of anti social behaviour, underage drinking and the every day happenings which are causing a lot of grief for people who just want to go about their lives without the unwanted hassle. But is the will there to enforce these laws? NO. I would suggest we make our list of 3 items for the general area and get our friends to doorstep politicans when they come knocking. 1 email a day. Give them grief, constructive grief

I agree with everything said about the state of the roads. If this new development goes ahead and the proper infrstruature is not in place it might be twice the journey time to work in the mornings. I can't see the houses benn sold quickly the way the economy is. I know they won't be build for a few years but hopefully Rush won't be as neglected as it has been by the council then. Oh by the way does anyone know if the new library is to open soon. At least that might keep some of the underage drinkers of the street.

Its due to open soon but I suspect there will be an issue with funding the staff. Dont know if it will keep amy underage drinkers off the streets but waht a great facility to have.

Its up to locals to put more time into clubs and make it more inviting and interesting for kids. The big problem facing a lot of clubs is parents are reluctant to get involved and you end up with the same people doing the work. These same hard workers end up being very unfairly called a "clique". All clubs and all sports seem to have this. Could you imagine if every parent helped out for 1 hour a week what a place North Fingal would be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

who is going to buy these 1000 houses?

there are half built estates in rush..... the estates that are built have empty houses in them!!!

who is going to benefit from the 1000 houses?

put in the infrastructure first then lets see what happens.

for example these day most houses has 2 cars so on average that could be 2000 more cars on the roads around rush.

how is that going to work?

i understand that places get developed but this plan does really not seem to benefit anyone.... what building contractor would want another 1000 houses on their books?

If the infrastructure was in place i think rush will be in more demand.

But i like the way rush is and i dont think 1000 house is going to be a good change.

but there is more problems in rush that can be addressed before trying to build 1000 more houses.

i notice the level of graffiti is increasing.
    As usual postters can see from other threads there is a car problem in the town.... ( new traffic calming perhaps)
    I think a higher garda presence is required (may improve graffiti and cars and surely if we were getting 1000 more house rush could justify nearly a full time presence??)

Also i think if a bit of money could be invested to revamp of the mainstreet. I think if the mainstreet got a make over ( nice paving, new lamposts, level footpaths.)

and before anyone jumps all over me and says that money should be invested elsewhere in these recessionary times other than urban renewal it was just a suggestion if the funding was there.

ok incoherant rant over ( i was typing as i was thinking it)

Martron It is often better to think as you type then your rant means a bit more. I will attempt to respond in some way to your excellent post from top down.

The houses I think will be sold at reduced rates and Fingal C.C will get some of them at affordable prices whatever that is in todays times. The developers need to move things along and get money moving, cash flow!!

The only people to benifit will be the investors and developers

Most houses now wont have 2 cars. I think people who have 2 cars better wake up and start lobbying Dublin bus for improved service. Most houses dont really need 2 cars we have just ruined ourselves but we will have a lot of extra traffic and the town cant cope with what there is at present.
    How did banks get away with with getting people to include a car worth €15,000 on their mortgage and end up with a mortage of say 315,000 instead of €300,000. How much are the people paying for the car €40-50,000?

This development I agree is something we dont need definatley without the proper infrastructure in place first. The proposed road is nothing more than an access route to lands which will eventually be rezoned. No H.G.Vs are allowed use it so it cant be classed as a bypass.
    On the graffati just look at the scout den and the house on the corner of Boggy lane and Park Rd. More Gardai is a must for the town. Elderly people wont go to the shops when its dark, underage drinking is out of control and there is a fair bit of vandalism about the place. The Noise levels from cars at night is a fright. There must be by-laws to deal with this and the speed some nights is deadly. Cars abandoned on the beach and left for the tide. Some morning soon I fear Rush will wake up to a tragedy.
    I agree with you on the main st it is in dire need of a makeover. Despite what we are told I think the money is there an this is not a major job.
    For years St. Maurs have been looking for lights and footpath on Park Rd to link Kenure to Club and on Palmer Rd to link St. Catherines and Clifflands to club. This would be a major benifit to the whole Village but no one in their right mind would let children walk or cycle up that road. Like them or loathe them St. Maurs do a great job for the youth with over 1,000 children geting coached every week.

Money invested in projects like this are as vital as anything else as they are an investment in the the health and well being of our youth and help deal with a lot of social problems and the anti-social behaviour that goes on.
    Now tell me this Why are the community council not screaming in the community news and Fingal Indo? Maybe they are but they need to make more people aware of what is actually happening. I acept these things can be slow. They should have a few poster sites informing people and be calling public meetings not Clare Daly. Each area should have residents assoc and each should have rep on community council.

Did you knw if Tesco gets green light they will deal with sewage on site and the waste will go into The Brook and out onto North Strand. It will be the first system of its kind in Europe.
    It also appears to me the planners have turned their back on Rush again and judging by some locl residents they feel so have the elected councillors. Roll on June

Rant over. Your Turn:)

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

There are one or two issues I would like to raise/debate.

I personally would like the drink and drugs problem in Skerries to be sorted.

I'm a young person(21) and I hear stuff that not a lot of others hear. And I know that there are young people(16-17) who are on hard drugs such as ecstasy and LSD every weekend.

And yes, drugs are easier to get in Skerries than alcohol. The thing about drug dealers is, they don't ask for ID.

Combined with alcohol, you have an aggressive combination, and unfortunately myself and my friends have been on the receiving end of these individuals on some occasions.

A consequence of this is gangs of individuals roaming the streets, making it really unsafe.

This is not to say that the drug problem is not with adults. I have heard of people being thrown out of pubs around the town for snorting cocaine on the cistern(possibly isolated incidents, I don't know).

(I'm sure this is the bit where people start throwing rotten vegetables at me).

The second issue I would like to raise is the issue of loud modified cars.

These huge exhausts and turbo-charges(I looked it up as to what they are), are so loud, you can't have a conversation when your out for a walk with a friend.

I have friends who own modified cars and they tell me that they don't represent real modified car enthusiasts, so that issue needs to be looked at.

Oh, and one more thing. Does anyone else find it ironic that when walking past the Old School on a Friday/Saturday night, you see young people standing underneath the porch drinking cans, as opposed to doing something constructive inside the old school itself?

That's just me ranting, making a point.

:)

Hauk

hey hauk,

just to say one thing beforre the car modifiers jump all over you. The turbo does not create any extra noise (unless they have a dump valve, in which case they make a whistling noise when they change gears).

i agree something has to be sorted.

but i think we have to work from the ground up.

services then housing.

more buses. more frequent reliable feeder buses to the train station.

higher capacity road into rush/;lusk.

(as someone stated these roads are just upgraded country lanes.)

it is ridiculous bringing in houses and then letting the place get rammed with traffic.

we need a proactive look at this situation rather than a reactive one.

So do we know what type of housing this is?

is it affordable, social, or normal?

I think we need to sell all the empty houses first.

it boils my blood thinking who thought this was a viable option.
    i understand we have to spend money to make money and create jobs. i am in the building industry myself and i would like to see jobs creation. but we can create as many jobs without building houses (thats what got us into this mess)

Few building solutions that would create jobs in rush

1 upgrade road from r132 to lusk
    2 upgrade lusk to skerries
    3 upgrade lusk to rush(priority as i live in rush ha ha)
    4 parkpark construction in rush/lusk train station
    5 mains street renewal.
    6 School extension
    7 build the tesco (it will be better than having to drive to swords for good cheap shopping)
    8 traffic calming measure in town (can come with main street renewal)

now these are construction related improvement that offer jobs in construction instead of housing.

1000 house = crazy.

we need to get it out of our heads that building houses is going to fix any problem. There is no demand for them so why build them

Hiya Marton,

Ah yes, that's the whistling sound I've been hearing so ^_^

Thanks for clearing that up.

And agreed on all your points.

Hauk

Hauk wrote: »
    There are one or two issues I would like to raise/debate.

I personally would like the drink and drugs problem in Skerries to be sorted.

I'm a young person(21) and I hear stuff that not a lot of others hear. And I know that there are young people(16-17) who are on hard drugs such as ecstasy and LSD every weekend.

And yes, drugs are easier to get in Skerries than alcohol. The thing about drug dealers is, they don't ask for ID.

Combined with alcohol, you have an aggressive combination, and unfortunately myself and my friends have been on the receiving end of these individuals on some occasions.

A consequence of this is gangs of individuals roaming the streets, making it really unsafe.

This is not to say that the drug problem is not with adults. I have heard of people being thrown out of pubs around the town for snorting cocaine on the cistern(possibly isolated incidents, I don't know).

(I'm sure this is the bit where people start throwing rotten vegetables at me).

The second issue I would like to raise is the issue of loud modified cars.

These huge exhausts and turbo-charges(I looked it up as to what they are), are so loud, you can't have a conversation when your out for a walk with a friend.

I have friends who own modified cars and they tell me that they don't represent real modified car enthusiasts, so that issue needs to be looked at.

Oh, and one more thing. Does anyone else find it ironic that when walking past the Old School on a Friday/Saturday night, you see young people standing underneath the porch drinking cans, as opposed to doing something constructive inside the old school itself?

That's just me ranting, making a point.

:)

Hauk
    Excellent post Hauk.
    The problems you raise are not confined to Skerries they are all over North Dublin and to be sure they are all over Ireland. Unfortunatley the will is not there from OUR ELECTED Reps to ensure by-laws are enforced on the issue of drugs and the modified cars. Drugs is uining some great kids and lets be honest there are more good kids than bad kids. This issue was raised in anothe forum and PARENTS need to wake up and support the local clubs. It would be a start. Its disgracefu what is going on. Do you lobby your T.Ds and Councillors? I email them at least once a week and have had some positive feedback. If not I suggest you should start and get your friends to start also. Kids drinking is a major concern and Fingal C.C. need to look at the number of Off-licence's there are. To ge Milk you walk by stack of beer and when you pay at the till the place is full of Spirits. Go in for petrol and there is wine. Its a joke. I would suggest you phone the guards every time you see them in the school.

On the Rush issue I have had a good look at the L.A.P. for the area and I think it will be passed. I do agree with you Martron the services must be improved but we need to lobby for services not object because its in a plan. I think if constructive lobbying is done the Council will listen. Already there is backbiting going on and this could derail any constructive submissions which are made. The big planning issue for me is, when planning was granted for Goldenridge why did each developer have the right to delete stuff from it? The feeder bus and playground and what is the story with the school?

Most of the housing proposed is low density, not sure what that means but it is earmarked for behind Woodland Park. People still need houses and I think the council will buy some of them as affordable housing and the proposed houses will take longer to come on stream. What got us into this mess was bankers who gave money to people to buy houses they could not really afford. Back in the 90s they were strict about what one could borrow where as it got to the stage you were encouraged to get the extra few bob for your new car. Crazy. How much did that new car cost when it was spread over the time of your mortgage 40 - 50k? That is scandelous and these people should be jailed. They are white collar criminals.
    Speeding on the street in Rush is getting worse. Ramps seem to be the only answer because we dont have Gardai to patrol. The problem is some of the ramps are to small also the noise pollution caused by thes cars must be braking some by-law? Imagine the revenue they would get if they imposed their own laws?
    We need a new school urgently and Ifully agree with its inclusion in the L.A.P and the inclusion of the open space but they need to be swapped so open space is beside G.A.A club.

End of rant till I get kids to bed.

Question. Do you think Fingal will object to Off-Licences? Are parents active enough in the community?

I think the answer to both of these is no and hear in lies a lot of our problems.

Anyone involved in a club will tell you its the same parents you turn to most of the time for help while when something goes wrong the first to complain are the ones who drop off their kids while they pop down to the shop and get a few bits, and maybe a bottle of plonk. I dont drink and dont have a problem with it, I enjoy going to the pub for a bit of Craic but we are a joke when it come to being sensible about it.

As for Drugs, HARD DRUGS are all over the place and you make a very good point dealers dont ask for I.D just money. Untill such time as we have people in power who are serious about dealing drugs the problem will get worse. The thing is if it was dealth with it I think we would have more teenagers involved in sport and youth clubs. So put on the pressure for extra Gardai and Fingal to impose their bylaws on the noise levels coming from these cars.

Excellent post Hauk.
    The problems you raise are not confined to Skerries they are all over North Dublin and to be sure they are all over Ireland. Unfortunatley the will is not there from OUR ELECTED Reps to ensure by-laws are enforced on the issue of drugs and the modified cars. Drugs is uining some great kids and lets be honest there are more good kids than bad kids. This issue was raised in anothe forum and PARENTS need to wake up and support the local clubs. It would be a start. Its disgracefu what is going on. Do you lobby your T.Ds and Councillors? I email them at least once a week and have had some positive feedback.

I agree that there are more good kids than bad ones. I've never e-mailed them to be honest you. The last time I tried to get involved was when they wanted to put a conference centre and a few thousand across the train tracks. I pretty much said that we should tackle the problems we have now as opposed to trying to expand, and I got told that "this isn't the time for that". So then I just said I wouldn't be doing that again.
    If not I suggest you should start and get your friends to start also. Kids drinking is a major concern and Fingal C.C. need to look at the number of Off-licence's there are. To ge Milk you walk by stack of beer and when you pay at the till the place is full of Spirits. Go in for petrol and there is wine. Its a joke. I would suggest you phone the guards every time you see them in the school.

I do agree that they should cap the number of off licenses in the town. And to be honest, some of the times I've probably been buying beer in there(as an adult, and albeit to consume in mine or a friends house, not on the street). No way in hell I ever buy for kids though.

The guards in this town have some weird tactics. They know they're drinking in the school, and just before they arrive at the school, they lash on the sirens so they all run away. Nuts. You know they just don't want to fill out the paperwork.
    Speeding on the street in Rush is getting worse. Ramps seem to be the only answer because we dont have Gardai to patrol. The problem is some of the ramps are to small also the noise pollution caused by thes cars must be braking some by-law? Imagine the revenue they would get if they imposed their own laws?
    We need a new school urgently and Ifully agree with its inclusion in the L.A.P and the inclusion of the open space but they need to be swapped so open space is beside G.A.A club.

Yeah, I have some friends in Rush waiting to get a house, it sucks.
    Question. Do you think Fingal will object to Off-Licences?

Probably not because of the sheer revenue they generate. As I said, a cap on the number allowed to operate. I could say "stricter laws etc etc", but the laws are already there, just not enforced.
    As for Drugs, HARD DRUGS are all over the place and you make a very good point dealers dont ask for I.D just money. Untill such time as we have people in power who are serious about dealing drugs the problem will get worse. The thing is if it was dealth with it I think we would have more teenagers involved in sport and youth clubs. So put on the pressure for extra Gardai and Fingal to impose their bylaws on the noise levels coming from these cars.

I think they need to take a new approach to tackling the drug problem. This is the bit where some people will disagree with me.

A bit of a background. For my third year project in college this year I wrote a software program that simulates the War on Drugs. My project partner and myself both researched a HELL of a lot. We looked at the American prohitibion model, and looked at models such as The United Arab Emirates, Portugal, and the Irish prohibition laws.

I feel that the Irish way of dealing with the drug problem has failed completely. I honestly think that the problem is with hard drugs like ecstasy, heroin, cocaine, and whatever other rubbish is out there. These drugs generate massive revenue for these soulless killers(gangs) we see across Dublin. But I don't think that the problem lies with substances such as cannabis.

I'm mentioning this because on most weekends, when I'm heading for a pint/walk, I ALWAYS get "Any hash?". And it's quite annoying to know that these 15/16 year olds will eventually get their hands on some that night. These are kids I would rather see involved in something like The Young Scientist, or some of the competitions I see for young computer programmers.

I honestly think that if the government taxed and regulated cannabis(for over 21's, i.e. follow the Dutch model) we could pull the carpet from underneath these drug dealers. It would allow valuable Garda resources to be re-allocated to some of the issues we've already discussed, and it would divert the flow of revenue from drug dealers to the government(who could use it to build a new science laboratory, or expand a computer laboratory, upgrade a school, or provide extra teachers).

I won't turn this into "a case for legalisation", but I do believe the government/next government would be doing themselves a great favour by altering their current laws.

Finally, on this subject, one person said to me before, "Yeah but that would just lead to a bunch of stoners wandering around the place". The only thing I could compare this to was the fights you see every weekend up by Shenanigans at the harbour, and in town on D'Olier St when I was waiting for a Nightlink home, and I thought to myself "Most of that would go away then."

=================================================================

On the issue of modified cars and noise pollution caused by those, some progress is being made: Read this: http://www.greenparty.ie/en/news/latest_news/cuffe_welcomes_proposals_to_end_noise_nuisance_from_modified_cars

It seems the NCT will have a cap on the number of dB outputted by a vehicle. A very good idea if you ask me.

As for housing in Rush and the need for a school, it's a big problem. My friend has a young daughter who will be starting school in a few years, and apparently he told me has to start looking at getting her name down for a school now. It's pretty had that 3 years in advance of her starting school she has to put her name down.

*PHEW*

That was a pretty long one.

Time for more tea.

Bye guys o/

Hauk

Yeah, I have some friends in Rush waiting to get a house, it sucks.

what do you mean by this?

Hauk. This explanation should be good:mad:

• Advertisement

i think you know where i am going with this.....

*can sense an off topic discussion*

Well I didn't get a chance to see any of your replies before they got edited.

LeoB: I can't see any explanation.

Martron: My friend has been on the list for a house for a while now. I don't know the details of it, but he's been waiting a while from what he tells me.

Let's stay on topic shall we?

Hauk

if we were to discuss my opinions about people "waiting for houses" it would go off topic

Ah yes, not to worry :)

Hauk

LeoB: I can't see any explanation.

Martron: My friend has been on the list for a house for a while now. I don't know the details of it, but he's been waiting a while from what he tells me.

Let's stay on topic shall we?

Hauk

I thought your comment Yeah I have friends waiting for a house in Rush, it sucks could have been explained a little better. I take it you didnt mean this great little village sucks? Just the system?:)

I like a lot of other people have a problem with the housing list, and I must be very clear here.
    I am not racist but how come non nationals are getting houses ahead of Irish couples? It just does not make sense to me. It also shows very little regard for Irish people in low paid jobs who will never afford a house. As I said I am not racist but I do begruge some of the people getting houses and this is a matter for our local reps.

The L.A.P for Rush was passed with some amendments. A lot of people were unhappy it was passed but now that it is I hope they turn their attention on to more positive things like what is going to be provided in the line of public amenities and playgrounds. The school cant be built for another 3 years until the sewage is dealth with.

I thought your comment Yeah I have friends waiting for a house in Rush, it sucks could have been explained a little better. I take it you didnt mean this great little village sucks? Just the system?:)

I like a lot of other people have a problem with the housing list, and I must be very clear here.
    I am not racist but how come non nationals are getting houses ahead of Irish couples? It just does not make sense to me. It also shows very little regard for Irish people in low paid jobs who will never afford a house. As I said I am not racist but I do begruge some of the people getting houses and this is a matter for our local reps.

The L.A.P for Rush was passed with some amendments. A lot of people were unhappy it was passed but now that it is I hope they turn their attention on to more positive things like what is going to be provided in the line of public amenities and playgrounds. The school cant be built for another 3 years until the sewage is dealth with.

Ah my apologies. Of course I meant the situation, not the town. :P

I think that issue with housing allocation will have to be addressed. I think the best way of getting someone into a house is to means-test it to see who has the most need. As far as I know(and I'm not sure), is that there is a waiting list. Which makes no logical sense as there may be a greater need for housing for one person and not for the other.

Anywho, I think it's time for some tea. :)

Hauk

Just wondering folks and I don't want to sound too bad against the gym in St Maurs GAA club but are there any plans or proposals to build a state of the art gym in the Rush/Lusk area. The gym in the GAA club althouh having all the equipment you need is a little cramped and the gym in Lusk (can't rememeber the name of it) I am told is not up to the standard either. The only decent (nearest) gym is Jackie skellys in Swords

Didnt hear about gym going into Lusk sports campus but I would be suprised if one doesnt go in as its a sports academy for a wide range of sports, but but but ah they couldnt overlook a gym in a sports campus:confused:

As for the elections coming up we really should get all our friends on to the campaign to voice their opinions to candidates. Its no use us talking just here.
    I think a few of the councillors will be returned, from what I hear a lot of people are happy with Joe Corr. He shuns the limelight and the only 2 times I have heard him speak publicly he was good to his word. while a few others promised the sun moon and stars his approach was lets see what we can get doneon the basis of urgency and need.
    I plan bringing up the underage drinking problem and the housing situation with him. I dont drink and I own my own house but feel strongly on both these topics. While I dont drink I dont have a problem with others drinking my wife drinks and most of my friends but it just sickens me to see good young people ruining themselves nacker drinking on the beachs and in the parks of Fingal.
    James Reilly might be the best to tackle this as he is Fine Gael spokesman on health.:)l

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭imokyrok

Those who are taking comfort from the provisions regarding infrastructure in the Rush LAP need to think again. There have been many LAP in recent years and at the end of the day the provisions that actually proceed are the houses. The infrastructure is always longfingered for one reason or another.

The same will happen again with Rush. 1000 houses for a town that has nothing. A town with an infrastructure that can't cope with the expansion we've already had. We only have to look at Lusk to know that putting people in boxes with no facilities and money in the pockets of developers is all that matters to most local councillors. They are turning this whole area into Tallaght By The Sea.

Please don't vote for any of the councillors who passed that LAP. That includes FF, FG, The Greens and May McKeown. Davis O'Connor was absent for the vote - he better have a good explanation. The only ones who voted against and thereby supported the overwhelming majority of Rush residents who don't want the 1000 houses to proceed were Labour and the Socialist party. Please give them your votes. We need to show these councillors that they are elected to serve us not the developers.

Especially dissapointing is Joe Corr. For a Rush councillor to ignore Rush residents is high treason. He received my no.1 vote before, never again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭imokyrok

I had a look at the Green Party website to see what party policy might have to say on urban planning:

"Because of the pace and high level of development in the country, 'pressure points' have emerged that have serious implications for the future sustainability of urban areas. Urban sprawl, time poor communities, rising environmental emissions, critically overloaded infrastructure, community alienation and social fragmentation are all daily manifestations of policy failure in the management of Irish urban development."

Sounds like Rush and Lusk alright!

"Our policies will be integrated with the National Spatial Plan, particularly with respect to the concentration of up to a third of the population in the Greater Dublin Area. This concentration cannot be allowed to continue, particularly as it is preventing other parts of the country from developing the critical mass of population necessary to attract investment and development."

:rolleyes:

Advertisement