Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Used Canon 400mm f/2.8 $1850

• 01-04-2009 2:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭

This is serious value.
    The lens is in mint condition.
    I'm sure all the sports togs will be falling over themselves for this one...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

I don't see it because if I did, I'd have it bought :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Guess someone beat us to it. It's not there now. Ah well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

So do you need see these fast primes selling on the second hand market much?

There's not a large number of these sold 2nd hand. In fact, I'd say that anyone who buys one new tends to use it to death.

Such high quality lens, and a very large cost new. Cost new - about €6,000 for a Canon 400mm f/2.8 IS L.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

Sorry chaps.
    Couldn't resist, it being the day that it is and all. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

City-Exile wrote: »
    Sorry chaps.
    Couldn't resist, it being the day that it is and all. :D
    Son of a - hook line and sinker :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Only the Canon crowd were fooled though. ;)

Us Nikon shooters just looked on and smirked. :D

The Nikon crowd will always just be onlookers! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Duchovny

HAHAHAHAHAHA top!!

Nikon? Whats that? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭irish147

someone on a sports web site is selling

Canon 600mm f4 non IS: $4000.00

good price.....

• Advertisement

Hardly a great price for a used lens.
    GAA in decent light is the only place you'd really use it.

Out of interest what types of things would you use slow shutter speeds on a big 600mm or even 300mm prime? ie. What would you need the IS for?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

I would imagine you wouldn't use it too much for sports although I have seen a good few racing photographers use 300mm's handheld at the Curragh.

It's primary use I'd say would be for wildlife photography handheld where the light mightn't be the best in forests etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

Ballyman wrote: »
    I would imagine you wouldn't use it too much for sports although I have seen a good few racing photographers use 300mm's handheld at the Curragh.

It's primary use I'd say would be for wildlife photography handheld where the light mightn't be the best in forests etc.

You'd be hard pushed to use the 600mm handheld. I've tried lifting the 500mm f4 with a 1D and it's some weight. The 600 is bigger.

As for slow shutters, on a crop body anything under around 1/800 will be considered slow. I can only speak from a wildlife/bird point of view but on a tripod with a wimberly head you'd still use the IS on the bigger lenses while trying to capture birds in flight etc or in bad light.

bovril wrote: »
    As for slow shutters, on a crop body anything under around 1/800 will be considered slow. I can only speak from a wildlife/bird point of view but on a tripod with a wimberly head you'd still use the IS on the bigger lenses while trying to capture birds in flight etc or in bad light.

Oh it's not the same as the 1/30th rule on my 50mm then for example? Because it's zoomed in so much on a big prime the shake is amplified.

What kind of shutter speed would you need to use if you were holding a 300mm handheld at f/2.8 assuming decent light?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

City-Exile wrote: »
    Hardly a great price for a used lens.
    GAA in decent light is the only place you'd really use it.

List price is twelve thousand dollars. Depending on the condition four thousand isn't bad at all.

Additionally, strangely enough, the kitesurf and surf brigade, shooting from the beach, would probably get some use out of it. I know I've seen one person using it on one occasion here and I know that the top kite guy in the world uses one on a regular basis. Admittedly he gets fantastic light where the kite gigs tend to be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

What kind of shutter speed would you need to use if you were holding a 300mm handheld at f/2.8 assuming decent light?

Recommended on a 1.6 crop body would be 1/480th. Obviously it will be up to the person though. You could find that you can hold it steady at slower speeds or you may need to use quicker speeds. It's all about finding the limits yourself and knowing to check them when the light changes and adjust accordingly. It's something I always forget :(

The rule is 1/focal length. So, for a 300mm on a 1.6 crop body, that would work out at 1/480. But, you can get away with 1/400 sec to start.

You'd generally only use IS for portraits or wildlife. I doubt it would be used for sport. You might, however, use IS mode 2 (panning) for photographing cars, bikes, planes, etc in motion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

Lol, nice one... I was wondering would someone do something for the day that was in it..

Advertisement