Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sweets for diabetes

Options
  • 01-04-2009 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

Where in galway is there diabetes related food store, that would have sweets?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Check in Healtwise and Evergreen. Besides here you could search in the Long Term Illness forum too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

OP Possibly evergreen, try here:www.evergreen.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

You weren't planning an April Fools Day trick, were ya??

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59631442&postcount=31

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

boots has some, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Zzippy wrote: »

Beat me to it :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭jautukas87

Zzippy wrote: »

No, its for my grandfather.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Yup, I had to go sugar free for a while and tried a few...
    Suffice to say I have stopped that craic - the ones with malitol and other sugar alcohols (not the fruit sugar ones) disagree pretty violently with a LOT of people.
    Suffice to say, after eating a bar, if you stuck a pin in me there would have been a huge pop, and the potted geranium would have died:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Gaillimh1990

leanodos choc co do lovely ones in the shopping centre... expencive tho but they come wrapped nd all - got dem for da nan

leanodos choc co do lovely ones in the shopping centre... expencive tho but they come wrapped nd all - got dem for da nan
    Can I ask you which shopping center? Might it be Leonidas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

^^ Yep, I'd assume Leanodos=Leonidas. It's in Corbett court, or the Eyre Square shopping centre as its known.

I tend to just eat normal sweets, but obviously monitor/manage my blood sugar/insulin dosage/exercise very closely.

You could try the high % chocolate either.

The high coco content means there's little room for sugar. It is high in fat and carbs though so you still need to eat it moderation (eating more than a square or 2 of choc that bitter is difficult though, thankfully)

• Advertisement

B00MSTICK wrote: »
    ^^ Yep, I'd assume Leanodos=Leonidas. It's in Corbett court, .......

Just picked up some chocolate. It's for my grandfather, he hasn't diabetes but doctors say he's on the line, so he can not eat nothing sweat. Thanks ppl.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

Why do people fall into that trap???? Here is what the Diabetes Federation of Ireland have to say about "diabetic foods" and this is echoed by many other organizations who represent people with diabetes.

Position Statement

Diabetic Foods

The Diabetes Federation of Ireland does not recommend the use of so called ‘diabetic foods’.

The concept of ‘diabetic’ foods or a ‘diabetic’ diet has long since been replaced by guidelines on healthy food choices and individualized advice on eating habits for each person with diabetes. Like the rest of the population, people with diabetes are encouraged to eat a diet low in saturated fat, sugar and salt, with plenty of fruit and vegetables and meals based on starchy carbohydrate foods like bread and potatoes. There is no single food, which must be excluded from the diet of people with diabetes. Total avoidance of sugar is now considered unnecessary. Consequently, the idea of legitimizing so-called ‘diabetic’ foods has also been outmoded.

The continued existence of special ‘diabetic’ foods creates a number of problems. Labeling a product ‘diabetic’ gives it a stamp of approval, which many people with diabetes find hard to ignore. People assume that if the label says ‘diabetic’ that the contents may be beneficial or even essential. Since ‘diabetic’ foods tend to cost more than conventional counterparts or sugar-free and reduced sugar versions this is in effect conning people with diabetes. The main concern is that promoting a range of confectionery foods as ‘diabetic’ completely undermines dietary education in diabetes care.

Consequently, the Diabetes Federation of Ireland representing people with diabetes urges the removal of labeling “suitable for diabetics” which suggests that these foods are appropriate for persons with diabetes.

If you love your gramps - bring him a small regular bar of chocolate and then a walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

As a veteran of the diabetic wars I back up the above. Its a con, "diabetic foods" are not required by any diabetic. They taste ropey and cost a bomb.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement