Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thread with over 10,000 views gone?

Options
  • 01-04-2009 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭

Was the Pamela Izevbekhai thread deleted? Or have I lost my abiiity to find it in my old age?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I think he means the one in AH. AFAIK it was deleted because it was in relation to an ongoing case and there was too much speculation, thinly veiled racism and other undesirable stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Papad

seamus wrote: »

No, it was in After Hours up until yesterday.

javaboy wrote: »
    I think he means the one in AH. AFAIK it was deleted because it was in relation to an ongoing case and there was too much speculation, thinly veiled racism and other undesirable stuff.

Thinly veiled racism and other undesirable stuff should have been handled by the mods. The thread was not active for a couple of days so it was going to go off the radar. But deleting it was wrong.

There should be a sticky announcing the discussion of ongoing cases is prohibited.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

****ing nightmare of a thread.
    I'll look for it later and put it back, but if one more person steps out of line (and god knows I've put enough warning and banned enough people in that thread to make it clear that crap will not be tolerated) it will be gone for good.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Banstick, good and hard if they step out of line. (Its the only thing they understand... or wait, was that the spanking thread?? :P)

Santise the thread, reopen with a clear warning and mercilessly ban if anyone breaches it. Point them here if they whinge.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Some Nazi hacked DeV's account! :pac:

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

yeah.... the old DeVore. :)

DeV.

Right. I've gone through that thread again and it's staying deleted.

Feel free to start a new one, but know that it will be very heavily moderated and I will just ban people without question if they step over the line.

While I initially applauded the decision and fortitude to re-open it, it is now disappointing that this will not be the case.

The thread was dying away and should have been allowed a natural death, rather than being executed. It gives the impression of a moderator being very selective on what can discussed on a bulletin board. If the rules and guidelines of the service were adjudicated correctly, the thread would not have derailed.

I have no desire to start a new thread; it was just the principle of the matter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Papad wrote: »
    I have no desire to start a new thread; it was just the principle of the matter.
    If you feel so strongly about it why dont you contribute to the one in politics?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055261880

The one in after hours was a turning into a crapfest....... good decision to delete it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

50 posts on the last day it was open. Hardly dying a natural death was it?

javaboy wrote: »
    50 posts on the last day it was open. Hardly dying a natural death was it?

The last time I saw the thread, it was on the 3rd page of After Hours.
    If you feel so strongly about it why dont you contribute to the one in politics?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2055261880

As I said previously, it was the principle of the matter: deleting a thread (with over 300 posts on it).

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055261880
    That one has taken up more than its share of moderator time too.

I'd love to know what it is about this (or any) issue that prompts people to suggest that a woman and her daughters should be put in a boat, towed into the Atlantic and left there.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    That one has taken up more than its share of moderator time too.

I'd love to know what it is about this (or any) issue that prompts people to suggest that a woman and her daughters should be put in a boat, towed into the Atlantic and left there.
    I have found this thread very enlightening and some of the contributions have been excellent (maybe not mine)donegalfella/alex/mac and even trunner.
    I presume you jest when saying people have called for a woman and her daughters to be put in a boat, towed into the Atlantic and left there because I have no doubt that if such a thing happened a ban would follow quickly (and rightly so).

Apologies for dragging this off-topic.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I presume you jest when saying people have called for a woman and her daughters to be put in a boat, towed into the Atlantic and left there...
    I wish. :(

I have found this thread very enlightening and some of the contributions have been excellent (maybe not mine)donegalfella/alex/mac and even trunner.
    I presume you jest when saying people have called for a woman and her daughters to be put in a boat, towed into the Atlantic and left there because I have no doubt that if such a thing happened a ban would follow quickly (and rightly so).

Apologies for dragging this off-topic.
    Oh it happened in the AH thread too. Only difference was they wanted her dropped from a plane in a dinghy.

There was an awful lot of gloating from lots of people when it was revealed that she admitted that papers were forged. Quite sickening really. It's not like she murdered someone and I've seen people stand up for murderers in the past.

At the end of the day, it was quite a fascinating look at the psyche of people who hide behind keyboards and showed up a very nasty side of modern Ireland.
    The woman has yet to be found guilty of playing a part in the forgery, but people already had their pitchforks out and were on the prowl.
    One user said they would be keeping an eye out for her and that he knew where she lived. Of course, said user would probably put his head down and mumble hello were he to pass her in the street.

Papad, I was being very selective about what can be discussed on a message board. Every moderator here has to be. That's why were here.

I'm not too fond of baying mobs, so it's staying deleted.

Trinny. wrote: »
    Oh it happened in the AH thread too. Only difference was they wanted her dropped from a plane in a dinghy.

Best laugh Ive had all day ;)

It's funny 'cos it's true.
    I believe the carrier of choice was Ryanair. LESS COST TO THE TAXPAYERS!!!!1111

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

:) That may have been my suggestion. Though I'd like to point out I said her, not the kids.

To be fair it's looking more and more like she committed fraud and I've heard people call for bankers to be "strung up" in mob threads for similar without being so shocking. But people aren't so quick to bleed from their hearts for bankers.
    The politics thread is interesting though.

• Advertisement

Trinny. wrote: »
    Papad, I was being very selective about what can be discussed on a message board. Every moderator here has to be. That's why were here.

I was talking about being selective with the topic (thread deletion) versus content (post deletion, which is understandable).

When the bankers are facing getting their knobs chopped off, I'll be just as sympathetic...

DeV.

Papad wrote: »
    I was talking about being selective with the topic (thread deletion) versus content (post deletion, which is understandable).
    Well I did say that you could start a new thread.
    The topic is not completely banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

DeVore wrote: »
    When the bankers are facing getting their knobs chopped off, I'll be just as sympathetic...

DeV.

Ah see your too soft. :pac:

Advertisement