Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Australia set for World Cup 2010

• 01-04-2009 2:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭

That's right folks, the last team to qualify for the 2006 World Cup are on the verge of being the first to qualify for South Africa 2010 after a great 2-0 home win over Uzbekistan tonight. Josh Kennedy and Harry Kewell got the goals.

A draw between Bahrain and Qatar later today will guarantee the Aussies a spot in the tournament.

Should be some buzz over next summer if both Ireland and Australia make it (though if that happens I'll be in South Africa hopefully)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

lol, i misread the title. thought you had meant it would no longer be in South Africa.

fair play to the Aussies though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

a great 2-0 home win over Uzbekistan

Great? Really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

JPA wrote: »
    Great? Really?

Better than a draw with Bulgaria tbh.

You can only beat who's put in front off you and winning to be on the verge of qualifying is great.

I'm not surprised at the comment though, there's always one Buzz Killington.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Better than a draw with Bulgaria tbh.

You can only beat who's put in front off you and winning to be on the verge of qualifying is great.

I'm not surprised at the comment though, there's always one Buzz Killington.

Bulgaria are 27th in the world. Uzbekistan are 74th. Yes I googled.

Anyway, Australia are irrelevant to me.

Bulgaria are 27th in the world. Uzbekistan are 74th. Yes I googled.

So if Ireland beat San Marino to secure a spot on the World cup it wouldn't be a great win because it got them there? Fair enough.
    Anyway, Australia are irrelevant to me.

Then don't read/post in the thread tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Meh, They should be qualifying 1st with the draw they got in the qualifiers.

WP though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Who gives a toss whether Australia qualify or not ?

redout wrote: »
    Who gives a toss whether Australia qualify or not ?

I do, hence the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Great? Really?

Lol. Uzbekistan the powerhouses of world football.

If Ireland beat san marino to qualify 2-0 it wouldnt be called a great win but we would be delighted they qualified so fair play.

Always liked Australia in world cup games so nice to see there nearly there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I do, hence the thread.

Fair enough. May I add that Paraguay are winning the South American Qualifying group by 4 points from Chile and Argentina after the same games played (11) and that Brazil are fourth 5 points a drift and were totally outplayed by Ecuador on sunday night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Lucky for Australia they dont gotta play the 5th place out of South America anymore.:pac:

At least they look like there going to qualify out right without a playoff and as Xavi6 said you can only beat whats put before you, granted they get one of the easiest qualifying sections but they still have to get the results that matter.

Best of luck to the Aussies, hope they make it and do well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

They need Setanta O hAlpin at the back though. Just for presence...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Well done Australia!

image.php?u=62151&dateline=1205520035

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I think its great that a country probably better know for its cricket/rugby/golfers/tennis players gets to play in a world cup finals, can only raise the profile of the game in oz to even higher levels. Well played Australia :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Great? Really?

Australia are a bloody good side, probably as good as Ireland

of course having Cahill does help...:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Australia and Mexico are my long odd big bets on the WC if they both qualify.
    Good to hear one of them is nearly there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Should be some buzz over next summer if both Ireland and Australia make it (though if that happens I'll be in South Africa hopefully)

I don't know about that. I was there for the last one and they barely cared. Not so bad around the main cities but leave them and you have no hope.

Went into a pub, think it was just off the great ocean road to see their first match. Thats right Australia's very first match in a world cup, went in to the pub.

Me: Will you be showing the match tonight
    Them: What match?
    Me: Eh the soccer, like the world cup?
    Them: Didn't know it was on, anyway no we won't.

Not like it was even on that late. Que us having to sit in our campsite watching it, frezzing our asses of with no heating, running out to our fire at half time to warm up.

Was good craic in Perth for it though.

I'd like them to get there, give me a excuse to break this out.

australia_2006_soccer_jersey1-150-150.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Harry Kewell got the goals.

Who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Bahrain are beating Qatar 1-0. It's in injury time at the moment.

If the score stays like that, the Aussies will need just one point from their final three games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

So if Ireland beat San Marino to secure a spot on the World cup it wouldn't be a great win because it got them there? Fair enough.

Then don't read/post in the thread tbh.

Except of course if that made ireland level with someone on top of the group, then the results against San Marino would be discounted during the process of deciding which had the better record and score difference.

(I could be wrong about that.........)

Well done Australia, I wouldnt be complaining if Ireland had qualified regardless of who we have to play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

finished 1-0 to Bahrain. Aussies are going to have to wait until June to claim their place in the finals.

Advertisement