Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats really happening?!

Options
  • 01-04-2009 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭

Ok first of all, I have a ripwave account with Irish Broadband. Been a customer for the past 2/3 years or so. I remember when the connection was good. From what I know over the time I have been a customer, with Ripwave, there are a number of people who are on the same frequency, like a shared line, and the more people are on it the slower the connection. But still when I had it for the first year or so the connection loss or slowness hadnt bothered me.

Last year the charge went up by 1 euro and the line is capped after a while every month. Which really slows it all down. So am paying 19.98 a month for this service.

But in the last while things have gotten really really bad. To explain, I would have connection for about say 6 mins and then it could be down for 10 mins and come back and then I wont know how long it will be on for until it goes down again. I use Google Chrome and Firefox. When the connection goes when I am using Google Chrome, the page reads:
    ERROR 2 (net::ERR_FAILED) unknown error

And on Firefox it says it cannot find page and to check connection settings.

Its up and down so much I will be lucky to even post this.
    I have spoken with IBB about this and they were mystified and all they did was refresh the software on the modem but that hasnt worked.

Can you shed any light on this. Its all very strange.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

you need to keep going at irish broadband about this until it is fixed. you are paying for a service and they are obliged to fix it if it's not working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭steve927

OP, i could have written your post because its exactly the same situation i'm in with IBB. I have 2mb Ripwave for over 3 years (upgraded from 1mb when they made it available) Everyday at 6.30pm approx the line goes down for about 30 mins and then comes back. For the last 3 weeks the service has been appaling but appears to be a bit better now. I've been on to their CS non stop and while they are helpful there is nothing they can do. I think its down to their contention, its just too high and i live in a densely populated area.

Funny thing is that when i do a speedtest i typically get a ping of about 160-200ms which is useless for Xbox live and the speed reports back about 25-30mb which is obviously nonsense but it seems to spike during the test, lol.

[URL="[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/448682600.png[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]448682600.png

Bear in mind this is on a 2mb wireless ripwave. If only they were the speeds i was getting. If any of you experts can explain to me what the story is there i'd love to know.

Anyway i've come to the end of my patience with them and have signed up for Magnet's 24mb service today and as soon as its active i'll be saying GTFO to IBB. Although if i run into any problems with Magnet i swear i'll be up on a homicide charge because i've been messed around and disappointed by Three, Clearwire, Vodafone and IBB for my BB. Ridiculously i'm ashamed to say that I have 2 BB at any one time coz usually one or the other of them doesnt work when i really need it to. Also my Xbox live gaming rep is ****e coz i keep getting the boot from multiplayer games due to poor speeds:(. Its a fooking joke trying to get decent BB in this country. All i want is one that works, is reliable and gives me close to the speeds that i pay for.

Rant Over;)

Advertisement