Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can A Management Company Refuse to issue a block key to a tenant?

Options
  • 01-04-2009 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Can A Management Company Refuse to issue a Block key to a tenant if the Landlord owes them Service Charge Fees. Tenants I know were refused a new block key by a Management Company claiming that the Landlord owes them the Service Charge and therefore they are not issuing a new Key to the Block therefore Locking the out of their Block. Can this be done legally? Gerry.:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

As far as I am aware - yes, they can do it. Unless management fees are paid in full, then the management company (and management agent) can refuse to provide services (including keys). This then therefore means that the tenant is not due anything.

The issue is really between the tenant and the landlord, and between the landlord and the management company/agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭otwb

Talk to a solicitor - I thought that you had to be allowed access to your apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I would assume that the unit owner (landlord) has his own keys. The issue in question relates to a tenant wanting keys.

The tenant would have no comeback at all, legal or otherwise, towards the management company/management agent. The tenant can take issue towards the landlord though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

otwb wrote: »
    Talk to a solicitor - I thought that you had to be allowed access to your apartment.

Your landlord is not supposed to obstruct you accessing your apartment. The landlord in this case is doing just this by not facilitating a tenant obtaining a replacement key. The management agent should never issue block keys to non-owners and could be sued by the management company if they did!

Advertisement