Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router recommendations

Options
  • 01-04-2009 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi, I want to buy a new wireless router, and possibly also a wireless card for my desktop.

Currently, this is my setup:
    -NTL/UPC broadband (Express 10mb)
    -The cable modem they provide
    -My own Sweex, bottom of the range wireless router, which seems to overheat, stop working, and only work again when it cools down. It also makes a hissing noise.
    -My desktop PC, in another room - I can't/don't want to lay a cable from the UPC point, so wireless is the best option.
    -A USB wireless receiver dongle that came with the Sweex plugged into the desktop

Basically I want a reliable, fast wireless router. I don't want to have to wait for simple things like Youtube videos to buffer. I want to be able to play games online reliably, etc. I want to be able to download from Steam, etc, quickly, making the most of the connection speed available from the UPC connection.

Also - I am guessing that a proper wireless receiver card might be better than a USB dongle for the desktop? Am I correct in thinking this?

So any recommendations? Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

One of the most recommended routers on here would be the Linksys wrt54gl.

However any reputable brand name like Linksys, Netgear or Dlink should do fine. Just make sure that you get what is known as a 'cable router'.

I would suggest getting the router first and seeing how you get on with the usb that you have - it might work fine and save you a few euros. One of the handy things about the usb dongles over the wireless card is that you can vary their postion if you get a usb extension lead whereas you are obviously stuck with the wireless card down at the bottom of the pc which may not necessarily give you the best signal.

Advertisement