Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Info from colleges/CAO

Options
  • 01-04-2009 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭

Hey guys!
    I did my LC last year and had applied to the CAO and around this time last year I had got info from the colleges I had applied to posted out to me. Ya know on clubs/socs, why that college thinks its the best one for me, info on accomodation etc.
    I got this from most of the colleges but not all of them.

To cut a long story short i'm applying to the cao again this year and havent got any of this from any of the colleges.

Just wondering had anybody else anything?

I'm thinking that with the recession maybe they are cutting back on this, or else it could be that the colleges ive applied to dont send out stuff as I know for a fact that St. Pats dont:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭naasface

I didnt even know they sent you out stuff????? Im in 6th yr applied to Cao nothing was mentioned about them sending out info. Good idea though!!
    So yeah i'd be interested in hearing what others say, i didn't know this thing existed !
    But btw i havent got any info from colleges yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Yeah... didn't know they sent you anything, this is the first I've heard of it. o.O
    When I accepted my college course in August, then they sent me stuff... but the colleges don't even really know you've applied for them until the LC results come out.

Tbh I think it's a fairly wasteful idea. Most of that information is available on the college websites, and why they think they'd be right for you... well, they don't know you or anything about you, so it'd just be the college going "this is why we're great", which is sort of available in most prospectuses anyway (I think prospectuses are a pretty wasteful idea too actually... so much paper and ink).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

the colleges don't even really know you've applied for them until the LC results come out.

They do, DIT sent me a letter inviting me to a school of media open day because I had it on my CAO.

Tbh I think they can't afford all the paper in the recession :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Hm, weird. Though now that I think of it, Maynooth texted me constantly during 6th year, but I assumed this was because I expressed interest in them at Higher Options or something. Strange. I sort of assumed the CAO handled it all until the results came out, but perhaps the universities are more involved than I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I got an email from NUI Galway the other day, but that's it. Nothing particularly useful anyway.

Remember being posted out loads of stuff from DIT last year as I had a Level 7 course down there.
    Have no Level 6/7 courses down at all this year so haven't got anything obviously.

Meh, I'd say most people don't even read through the stuff really!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

I got the email from NUIG. Dd't read it properly yet a I don't reallllly want to go. Just saw the 'we're glad you're considering us' type babble and left it at that.

Nothing from anyone else though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I've been getting a load of post from DIT cos I have them down as level 6/7 on the CAO and I music there. So far I've been invited to the open days for music, science and culinary arts. on the culinary arts invitation they even has the exact courses I'd applied for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

Yeah DIT sent me a load of stuff last year but I had them as my first choice on my level6/7s.
    I have them as my second choice on level 8s this year but havent got anything yet...
    Maybe its just for the courses they are trying to attract people into? Cux the level 8 course I have down was 410 points last year where as the level 7 i had down last year was 210 or something around that....:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭irishmonkey

phasers wrote: »
    They do, DIT sent me a letter inviting me to a school of media open day because I had it on my CAO.

I have media arts down and i didnt get a letter :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭GlasnevinRed

I got stuff from DIT last year as I had it down in the level 6/7. I'd say if you wanted something from other colleges you might have to ask. Even just send an email to the admissions office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I have media arts down and i didnt get a letter :(

aww :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

phasers wrote: »

Yeah, I got one off em about Science open day cos I have Biosciences down on my CAO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I got an email from the UCC admissions office today thanking me for putting it down on my CAO.
    The closing line being:

"To those of you sitting summer exams, we wish you the very best of
    luck!"

What's this about some sort of "Summer Exam"? Anyone have any idea what they're on about? :confused:

:pac:

bythewoods wrote: »
    I got an email from the UCC admissions office today thanking me for putting it down on my CAO.
    The closing line being:

luck!"

What's this about some sort of "Summer Exam"? Anyone have any idea what they're on about? :confused:

I'd guess they mean the leaving and A levels and the like....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

dragonfly! wrote: »
    I'd guess they mean the leaving and A levels and the like....:pac:
    L..L...leaving?? Jesus, is that this year??:eek:

Jammyc wrote: »
    L..L...leaving?? Jesus, is that this year??:eek:

not for me it isnt!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

yep got emails from nuig and ucc, and then got a little bookmark thingy in the post from nuig today adn got a letter from Wit yesterday.. couldn figure out why they sent me something then i remembered i put one level 7 course down there....:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fince

bythewoods wrote: »
    The closing line being:

luck!"

i got the same/similiar email.

re:"Summer Exam"- i assume that they assume theres a lot of ppl doing their driver theory test this summer. very nice of them

WIT sent out a letter for people to apply for their scholorships (i no, but i don't have to no how to spell it) a while back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Got an email from NUIG. How very nice of them. It's sole purpose for me, is to confirm I filled in my CAO right, as you never know that you actually have. Just that you have ''submitted you level 8 choices''.

Advertisement