Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from Paganism.

Options
  • 01-04-2009 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, I just want to know your thoughts on this:

I've been banned from Paganism for the following post on a thread titled "Pope warns against witchcraft in Angola":
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59625875&postcount=10

Now, I was told I was banned for violating the Charter which is here:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=74127

The charter says that disagreeements and debate are okay: I merely agreed with the Popes position, and was banned as a result with the mod telling me that I violated the charter, yet I cannot find anything that I violated.

In PM correspondence at a later stage, I was informed that "the forum to discuss Christianity is the Christianity forum". However, I thought Christian input would be welcome considering the thread was about the Pope taking a stance on Angolan witchcraft.

I was also told that I was "pushing" Christian perspective and that this was effectively not welcome in the Paganism forum, and in other forums that this person has moderated including PI (in which the thread was about ones religious beliefs impacting their relationship), and in Parenting (which was concerning the Christian rite of baptism).

Towards the end of the discussion I had with said moderator, as I mentioned that I thought that they were taking liberties with the charter, the response to this was that I was being too rigid with said charter, however surely people should only be banned for violations of the clear rules of the forum rather than at someones behest.

Just want to know your thoughts on this, if there is a conclusive reason, I will accept it and take my months ban graciously.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Jakkass wrote: »
    I was also told that I was "pushing" Christian perspective and that this was effectively not welcome in the Paganism forum, and in other forums that this person has moderated including PI

I'm not getting your point here?

The Mod states her reasons here:
    Thaedydal wrote: »
    Lou please report posts.

I am not as benevlant as my co mod and Jackass has been warned for this behaviour in other fourms and has already had 1 ban from this forum. Jackass banned for a month and the next one will be permaban.

The ins and outs of the catholic church and christian churchs 'take' and rules on magic
    can be discussed in the christianty forum or the spirituality forum but not here.

Your ban is a month long as it is your second one from that forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I'm not questioning the duration. However, I don't see how I've violated the charter. As for my first ban, I actually accepted it because I was shown exactly where I had gone wrong according to the charter. However, this time this is merely absurd, as the thread was about Christianity, surely the moderators should leave a bit of scope for the Popes mindset to be discussed.

How can't the ins and outs of the Catholic and Christian churches take on magic not be discussed if the thread is about the Pope's views on witchcraft in Angola?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

For prosyletising I would imagine. A few choice quotes :
    God is God for everyone. God created the heavens and the earth, we are subject to His laws.
    The Pope should be warning people if it threatens their salvation.
    What harm? He has merely warned people? I do hope people in Angola come to Christ however, and reject witchcraft.
    That's not debating, that's preaching.

seamus, read the pieces I quoted in the discussion and you will see that they were entirely relevant to what was being dealt with at hand.

1) I disagreed with a subjective vs an objective view of God
    2) I expressed my hopes for the Angolan people, I didn't proselytize to any individual on the forum.

Now, the charter does say that disagreement and debate is welcome, yet I must say that the moderation on the Paganism forum in particular is a lot more restrictive than say on the Christianity forum, the Atheist and Agnostics forum, or the Islam forum, where I have had full discussions with people on religious topics before. I don't see why the Paganism forum should be any different.

As for the Pope being concerned about the salvation of others, surely that is relevant to the topic at hand. The only reason the Pope is out there speaking against witchcraft is because it will threaten their salvation.

Just in conclusion, I think I'm just going to take my months ban even if I don't consider it fair. Thanks for listening to my rambling anyway, It's not all that big of a deal if I don't access Paganism for a while.

• Advertisement
Advertisement