Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby spitting up.

Options
  • 01-04-2009 3:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi, My two week old can only drink 2 ounces at a time. If he drinks more than that he'll spit up all or most of the bottle. My two year old had reflux and spat up after every bottle regardless of how much he drank so that's why i'm thinking it's not reflux. I have tried switching the formula but it's the same with all of them so it's not the formula. I would love him to drink more and less often. Maybe two ounces is all a two week old can normally take and it will increase as he gets older. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

ELOW wrote: »
    Hi, My two week old can only drink 2 ounces at a time. If he drinks more than that he'll spit up all or most of the bottle. My two year old had reflux and spat up after every bottle regardless of how much he drank so that's why i'm thinking it's not reflux. I have tried switching the formula but it's the same with all of them so it's not the formula. I would love him to drink more and less often. Maybe two ounces is all a two week old can normally take and it will increase as he gets older. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

My memory isn't the best, so don't quote me on this, but 2oz for a 2 week old seems plenty. Perhaps check with your PHN.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

What's 2ozs? About 50-60mls?

At two weeks I'd have been happy to get that much down without seeing it come back. It's a slog, but as you go on he'll handle more and more. It would be great if they took more in and lasted longer without a feed, but that'll come in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ELOW

He's due to be weighed by the PHN next week so i'll check with her.
    It's just that the back of the formula box says 3 - 4 ounces for a 1 - 4 week old baby. I'm sure if he's putting on weight there is nothing to worry about.

It would be nice to get more than two hours sleep in a row at night though but I know it's early days and I just have to be patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lalalulu

ELOW wrote: »
    He's due to be weighed by the PHN next week so i'll check with her.
    It's just that the back of the formula box says 3 - 4 ounces for a 1 - 4 week old baby. I'm sure if he's putting on weight there is nothing to worry about.

It would be nice to get more than two hours sleep in a row at night though but I know it's early days and I just have to be patient.

My daughter took 2 oz's every three hours at two weeks i convinced myself she should be taking more but if i did manage to get more in to her she spat it back up.
    I would think as long she the baby is gaining weight there's no problem you'll probably find when the baby goes through a growth spurt he'll take more milk.

Also i take instructions on the formula tin with a pinch of salt you are the baby's mammy so you know what's best for him and how much milk he can handle. All baby's are unique so they won't all take the same amount at the same time. My daughter was taking 8 oz's when she was two months old! The tin said she should only be taking 4oz's!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭MILF

lalalulu wrote: »
    My daughter took 2 oz's every three hours at two weeks i convinced myself she should be taking more but if i did manage to get more in to her she spat it back up.
    I would think as long she the baby is gaining weight there's no problem you'll probably find when the baby goes through a growth spurt he'll take more milk.

Also i take instructions on the formula tin with a pinch of salt you are the baby's mammy so you know what's best for him and how much milk he can handle. All baby's are unique so they won't all take the same amount at the same time. My daughter was taking 8 oz's when she was two months old! The tin said she should only be taking 4oz's!

My son was the same. He took two ounces, sometimes at a push, every couple of hours but then he took 3 at his last feed before bedtime so we got the extra bit of sleep (thank god!)
    It sounds perfectly okay, once the child is getting something! My son used to PROJECTILE throw up every once in a while, especially if I made him drink more. Go with the flow with your baby, he/she is only two weeks old remember. Your getting used to each other so in time you'll get to realise just how much, how often etc. But maybe to put your mind at rest, talk to your PHN. as Lalalulu said, the back of the tins are just a guide. Its the same as all the pregnancy & childbirth books that you pore over when your expecting - you think that's the way it happens til it ACTUALLY happens! The back of the tin is just a guide - some babies will take more, some less!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lalalulu

How right you are milf.. I followed the pregnancy books and parenting books to the letter what a waste of time! I thought when i had babs i'd be so confident and know what to do all the time because sure i'll just do what the book says :P Sure ya live and learn..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

maybe if you were to breastfeed the baby you would not have this issue. It is the best way to feed babies you know.
    I know a Paedriatrician who sees babies constantly with reflux. Never has she seen one who is breastfed. The mothers are constantly on about being lactose intolerant or something like this. She says it is odd as if they were lactose intolerant then how can they eat cheese or ice cream ever
    Our little baby is nearly a year now and was breastfed fully for 6 months and never vomitted, is a good weight and perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ELOW

My first son was breast fed for the first month and spat up all the time so it didn't make a difference if it was breast milk or formula.

I have now started to put a thickener in with my two week olds formula and he is drinking 3 - 4 ounces now and keeping most of it down.

Thank you all for your feedback and suggestions.

Advertisement