Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Muscley Manly Men

Options
  • 01-04-2009 3:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭

Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jean-Claude Van Damme, The Rock, Vin Diesel, etc. Do you find these types of guys attractive, or do you prefer the other type of men. you know... the non pumped up in the gym types? Personally I am turned off by giant sweaty muscles. I do like natural lean ones that a man has from doing a bit of work such as gardening though...:pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

Those Beefcake sort of guys have never ever done it for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

As long as they're hairy, I couldn't care less about musculature. :)

Although, they obviously should have enough to open jars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

Don't like the sort who spends all day in the gym, tend to find them a little self absorbed.

So no, no bodybuilder types, in general, for me.

A deep voice though....nice.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Nah, overmuscled men who are so that they look unnatural don't appeal to me, mainly because they're probably ridiculously vain and spend altogether too much time either ingesting muscle enhancement drugs or at the gym.. or both.

That being said I like pretty much any body type so long as they're not morbidly obese, and if the beefcake guy had a nice face, was a sweetheart, and was by some strange stroke of luck not spending altogether too much time on his physique, I probably wouldn't say no..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

i dont like too many muscles, & up until my ex i always liked tall but kinda slim men. now i like defined but not over the top muscles.. kind of just nicely toned or something. my ex worked in construction so his body was just from working, he wasnt anythign too amazing, but his arms.. *drool* dunno why, arms never did anything for me before! but he has loooooovely upper arms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MonicaBing

Amen to the above post, my guy is 5"11 or thereabouts is fit from cycling everywhere, but his LEGS:D, my jesus the man has a pair of legs i could lick!!!

Musclebound guys are all fine and well i suppose, but i'd be afraid i'd be squished! now yer man out of Sex & the city? Jason Lewis? Gush gush moist!!!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

Watching guys standing around the gym watching each other lift always struck me as sort of homoerotic.

Coupled with the narcissistic tendencies of the guys I know who are lifters, has a off-putting effect on me.

Cue dozens of lifters tearing shreds of me!

Don't worry, its a huge generalization, I know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

dont like those mega-muscle types at all.

obviously, dont want the other extreme either.

nice toned forearms work for me, but not too muscley.

fussy? me?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Toned body, yes. Pumped-up steroid-induced muscles, no.

I'm glad to see that a few other people on the thread have mentioned the arm thing though - my boyfriend has the sexiest arms ever, but he seems to think I have some sort of weird fetish! :D Well not that bad, but he thought it was a bit bonkers when I said it to him, he can't understand why I'd find his arms so attractive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

No never went for the muscle types- an old flatmate of mine was seeing a personal trainer who had muscles like i'd never seen before- was a nice quietly spoken guy. I prefer the leaner look, always have!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Fishie wrote: »
    Toned body, yes. Pumped-up steroid-induced muscles, no.

I'm glad to see that a few other people on the thread have mentioned the arm thing though - my boyfriend has the sexiest arms ever, but he seems to think I have some sort of weird fetish! :D Well not that bad, but he thought it was a bit bonkers when I said it to him, he can't understand why I'd find his arms so attractive

i adore nice forearms on a guy, nice and toned ones, not pumped-up ones.

im not sure what it is that makes them attractive - my sister maintains its the suggestion that he'd be well able to support himself while ridin' ya :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Fishie wrote: »

Phew im not the only one with the arm thing. :p :cool:
    One of the first things I said to my ex the night he came to stay, think I got a 'em ok then' response too! lol

All my exs have had different builds, so I dont go for one specific type. Skinny, tall, short, beer bellied, toned or not it doesnt matter if im attracted to him.

Altho I dont think Id find myself going after a fitness crazed body builder tbh. Well ya never know I might if he was a decent guy behind that gym freak appearance!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I was never into the beefcake type. In my younger years, I liked skinny guys. As I've matured, I still like my skinny guys, but I appreciate some natural, toned muscle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I like them nice and toned and CLEAN looking... Scruffy does not do it for me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

I never understood why some guys go crazy in the gym building up muscles when i have never met a woman who professes to like such a physique

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

pierrot wrote: »
    I never understood why some guys go crazy in the gym building up muscles when i have never met a woman who professes to like such a physique

Maybe it's similar to some women trying to be as thin as possible when most men I know prefer curves and some meat on the bones? As in, it's more about what they perceive as attractive or what they think will make them feel good rather than what the majority opinion of the opposite sex thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Beefcake, no way, screams 'meathead/imbecile' to me, as stereotypical as that may sound.

Nice arms and a slim waist, pleez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

pierrot wrote: »

Maybe, just maybe, its something they do for themselves and not for others? Is that such a terrible thing?

I'm not going to defend people's desire to weight lift or body build because tbh I get the feeling that people are posting from ignorance or a very biased stereotyped view, so all I'll say is that lifting puts a butt on a guy (or girl) unlike anything else. Which is generally considered a good thing?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Maybe, just maybe, its something they do for themselves and not for others? Is that such a terrible thing?

I'm not going to defend people's desire to weight lift or body build because tbh I get the feeling that people are posting from ignorance or a very biased stereotyped view, so all I'll say is that lifting puts a butt on a guy (or girl) unlike anything else. Which is generally considered a good thing?

So, if you see some 400lb + woman, will you be attracted to her just so you won't be seen as ignorant biased and stereotyped?

Doubt it. I think most men should be fecking glad we're not all tearing our hair out over musclebound blokes because if that was the case, you'd all be fecked and left staring at your posters of Keira Knightly on yer own.

Anyway, presumably I'll be held to question and made justify myself to every bloke in the world now, but I personally don't like the "I work out 5 hours a day lookit my abs' guys at all.

Men can be manly without being muscley, I prefer the type that aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

I'd say a few people here know what I'm going to say already but...

Chabal ftw!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

Nobody ever does anything for themselves. Just for sex. :pac:

Silverfish wrote: »
    So, if you see some 400lb + woman, will you be attracted to her just so you won't be seen as ignorant biased and stereotyped?

Doubt it. I think most men should be fecking glad we're not all tearing our hair out over musclebound blokes because if that was the case, you'd all be fecked and left staring at your posters of Keira Knightly on yer own.

Anyway, presumably I'll be held to question and made justify myself to every bloke in the world now, but I personally don't like the "I work out 5 hours a day lookit my abs' guys at all.

I don't know any 400lb+ woman, do you? Fwiw though (not much) my first girlfriend was overweight. I'm not asking that you change your opinion just so as not to appear ignorant and jaundiced by stereotypes, I'm asking that you consider that a possibility and actually stop using statements like "I work out 5 hours a day lookit my abs" as your typical lifter. At least two of the four guys in the first post were on steroids, one was a 7 times Mr. O! These are not average or even above average lifters, these are pinnacles, the .0001%, the genetic freaks that have been chosen to represent muscly men. If you don't find Arnie hot, fine. But just like your 400lb+ example, how often do you bump into guys that are like him?

Peared wrote: »

Chabal ftw!

<3 peared! (and chabal!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭telemachus

I really don't see where in his post you're getting this from, i've lifted weights for years now in and out of relationships and the main motivation is not to have girls swoon over me, nor do I have any delusions that they would as a result. He's also entirely correct when he talks about ignorance on the subject, there's alot of talk about "honest muscle" , "tone" and "rippling muscles" that has no basis in reality and makes largely inaccurate assumptions.

I can't see for the life of me what this has to do with being attracted to an overweight person, of either sex, on principle.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

telemachus wrote: »
    I really don't see where in his post you're getting this from, i've lifted weights for years now in and out of relationships and the main motivation is not to have girls swoon over me, nor do I have any delusions that they would as a result. He's also entirely correct when he talks about ignorance on the subject, there's alot of talk about "honest muscle" , "tone" and "rippling muscles" that has no basis in reality and makes largely inaccurate assumptions.

I can't see for the life of me what this has to do with being attracted to an overweight person, of either sex, on principle.

I don't give a crap.I don't find guys who work out attractive physically, full stop. This thread is based on appearances, I don't generally judge by appearance, but if I did, I personally do not like guys who work out.

Now, are we ladies entitled to have our opinion in the Ladies Lounge, or would you like to continue making us justify every damn opinion we have?

I have my nose pierced. A lot of guys don't like that. If you were to post in a forum for men in a thread titled 'Women with pierced noses' that you did not personally like that, am I entitled to come in and rant and rave and tell you you're ignorant and biased?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭telemachus

It wouldn't bother me in the slightest if you only liked men who were over seven feet tall, or who had naturally sprouting purple hair, I simply don't think Brian was in any way chastising you/others for specific tastes and I believe you misinterpreted his point, obviously it would be ludicrous to try and paint someone as shallow for having an inherent attraction to certain traits, and if for some reason you think that's what i'm doing I apologise.

Whoopsie, missed the edit, my large musclebound head constricts the flow of blood to my brain, making me ponderous :( , no I wouldn't think that disliking women with pierced noses was wrong, I would question a thread starting with a picture of a woman with a 3 foot 10 kilo pole protruding from her nostrils as a basis to judge all those with facial piercings. I think that's the point Brian is making (though I can't speak for him) with Arnie et al being referenced as regards male gym goers.

I don't give a crap.I don't find guys who work out attractive physically, full stop. This thread is based on appearances, I don't generally judge by appearance, but if I did, I personally do not like guys who work out.

Now, are we ladies entitled to have our opinion in the Ladies Lounge, or would you like to continue making us justify every damn opinion we have?

I have my nose pierced. A lot of guys don't like that. If you were to post in a forum for men in a thread titled 'Women with pierced noses' that you did not personally like that, am I entitled to come in and rant and rave and tell you you're ignorant and biased?

I would've said the exact same things if this thread was about women who lift and then the examples were all Ms. O winning bodybuilders. Its not the personal preference I am bothered by, its the lack of information that people have and the use of stereotypes that I find unnecessary and counter productive.There was no ranting or raving and I don't see why the discussion has to move towards these terms and attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

Ya and I don't like the 'I drink 3 nights a week look at my beer belly' guy at all :rolleyes:

The look of Arnie is very rare and you will be lucky to meet someone like that in the flesh. Over muscley men is a broad statement, for example alot of girls like Jerry Flannery (thinks his body is unreal etc.) and I would consider him a freak of nature :pac: (extremely admirable tho).
    I was published in a ladies magazine recently for a personal training section and I had to pose topless, some people called me to beefy, others called me very athletic, again different opinions for people.
    The most positive aspect is that at least you know these guys are a lot healthier than the average Irish man! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Peared wrote: »

Chabal ftw!

I called my gold fish Chabal then some one ate him :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

I don't know any 400lb+ woman, do you? Fwiw though (not much) my first girlfriend was overweight. I'm not asking that you change your opinion just so as not to appear ignorant and jaundiced by stereotypes, I'm asking that you consider that a possibility and actually stop using statements like "I work out 5 hours a day lookit my abs" as your typical lifter. At least two of the four guys in the first post were on steroids, one was a 7 times Mr. O! These are not average or even above average lifters, these are pinnacles, the .0001%, the genetic freaks that have been chosen to represent muscly men. If you don't find Arnie hot, fine. But just like your 400lb+ example, how often do you bump into guys that are like him?

I have to agree with this, my sisters boyfriend is into lifting and trains alot but is skinnier and slightly shorter than me. They arent all beefcakes like ppl are making out.
    <3 peared! (and chabal!)

Em your a boy right? Fair play! ;):p:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I love big lads.
    big and stocky dont mind loads of muscles once it isnt into the bodybuilder freaky vein types.
    i love big chubby guys aswell though.basically just amnt really into slim lads though i do seem to end up with them.

Advertisement