Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Muscley Manly Men

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

shellyboo wrote: »
    It's to do with lifestyles as well, like g'em said. I'm never going to be able to have a good relationship with a guy who's mad into fitness and the gym, because I just don't *get* that. It would lead to all sorts of fallings out over the gym and the importance of the gym and why can't he spend time with me instead of going to the gym... clash of personalities and priorities methinks.

Would it be different if the guy was involved in an intensive team sport, say rowing, which would involve training 7 days a week or a couple hours a session? Would it be different if he was spending all the time training for a team, and not just to look buff? Is it the fact that he'd be spending the time in the gym on himself, bodybuilding, that would be bothersome in that it seems self absorbed? Or might it be different if it was more 'selfless' training?

I've put it a bit clumsily but hopefully you get what I mean..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

Parsley wrote: »
    Would it be different if the guy was involved in an intensive team sport, say rowing, which would involve training 7 days a week or a couple hours a session? Would it be different if he was spending all the time training for a team, and not just to look buff? Is it the fact that he'd be spending the time in the gym on himself, bodybuilding, that would be bothersome in that it seems self absorbed? Or might it be different if it was more 'selfless' training?

I've put it a bit clumsily but hopefully you get what I mean..

It would make a BIT of difference. To me, team sports are more social than the gym, that would just be the way I'd see it in my head. So I'd feel like a wagon asking a guy to skip football training because he'd be letting team mates down... I'd never do that.

With the gym, it's not a team thing, it's a personal thing. I'd have trouble with a guy putting that first, but not because I'd see it as self-absorbed, because that's the kind of person *I* am... I do everything for others first and myself second.

But to be perfectly honest, a guy who's training 7 days a week doesn't have time for a girlfriend. That would drive me batty, whatever it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ali.c

But to be perfectly honest, a guy who's training 7 days a week doesn't have time for a girlfriend. That would drive me batty, whatever it was.

tbh I read something like the average person in britain watchs 3.8hours of television a day, thats a lot of time and I a bit of restructuring and planning and I'd imagine 7-10 hours a week is not that noticable.

Any ot, I like all have no particular perference

ali.c wrote: »
    tbh I read something like the average person in britain watchs 3.8hours of television a day, thats a lot of time and I a bit of restructuring and planning and I'd imagine 7-10 hours a week is not that noticable.

Any ot, I like all have no particular perference

An hour a day, I agree, not noticeable. But 2-3 hours every evening? That would put a dint in any couple's social life, no?

TV's not really the same. I wouldn't ever say "oh I can't do x, I have to watch TV." It's different.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

There's actually a thread looking at this from the opposite perspective on the Runner's World forums at the moment. I think if sport is a huge part of someone's life, it's not really something that they'd be willing to compromise on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Damn, I better start doing some press-ups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

My bf goes to the gym every second day or so and I'm fairly sure he lifts weights. Being honest, I really appreciate that he takes care of his body and I find him extremely attractive being well built. He has a bit of chunk too (which I also like), but coupled with his natural broad shoulders, a bit of muscle really tops his look.
    I've never been overly enamored with either Arnie or Brad Pitt type bodies, neither perfectly toned or heavily muscled does it for me. Men still have to look like men and have a bit of squish and fluff to go with the muscles :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

An hour a day, I agree, not noticeable. But 2-3 hours every evening? That would put a dint in any couple's social life, no?
    Depends whether or not one or both people are in the gym at the same time :) The gym can be another activity that you do together and it's common ground that you both talk about.

If it's just one person who's more dedicated than the other though, then yes, it can run into problems.

g'em wrote: »
    Depends whether or not one or both people are in the gym at the same time :) The gym can be another activity that you do together and it's common ground that you both talk about.

If it's just one person who's more dedicated than the other though, then yes, it can run into problems.

Oh totally! I meant in a case like mine where I'd be a lazy sod and the other person would be very active :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The same can be same of any sport or hobby, be it the gym, soccer, pc/computer gaming
    every couple where they don't have such things in common have to find away to comprimise.

As for gym bunnys, I would not presume they are all food nazis or sneery judges.
    IT is the reasons why they are in the gym 3/4 times a week and the mentality and personality which make the difference from a fun person and shallow self obbessed control freak.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I generally like my men tall and lean. I occassionally go for a chubster, but ... blockiness, let's say, doesn't do it at all for me. I don't generally find lifters, rugby players, GAA players, etc attractive. Big muscles aren't something that make me go weak at the knees the way slim, toned arms are.

Each to their own, of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Tone, definition... yes please.

Bulging muscles... no thanks.

I like a medium, lean build.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Thaedydal wrote: »
    The same can be same of any sport or hobby, be it the gym, soccer, pc/computer gaming
    every couple where they don't have such things in common have to find away to comprimise.
    Very true.
    As for gym bunnys, I would not presume they are all food nazis or sneery judges.
    IT is the reasons why they are in the gym 3/4 times a week and the mentality and personality which make the difference from a fun person and shallow self obbessed control freak.
    True again. I would say IME that for some reason the men I know who are gym types, they would tend be more judgemental about non fit men, than the very fit women would be about non fit women.

Actually I would say again IME the most judgemental of all, are those who aren't fit themselves. So the guys with builders arse are more likely to sneer at overweight women than gym types. That's what I've found anyway.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

What's an IME?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

IME= in my experience. I'm clearly a nerd now.:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

In My Experience, something wibbs seems to think he has a lot of cos he's old.

:D ohhh you.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Wibbs wrote: »
    IME= in my experience. I'm clearly a nerd now.:D

I thuaght in this day and age nerds where cool :confused:,

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Wibbs wrote: »
    A thought occurs.* A question for any woman who don't like a muscly guy(not just the huge guys), is some part of it that it will make you feel more body conscious if he's ripped and "perfect"? So if he's a bit "soft around the middle" it will make you feel more comfortable kinda thing?

Don't know if I count but no, I prefer them slim and either fairly lightly toned or not.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I thuaght in this day and age nerds where cool :confused:,

Nerds were always cool.

Linux > muscles.

• Advertisement

Silverfish wrote: »
    Nerds were always cool.

Linux > muscles.

415654837_9bf15cf432.jpg?v=0

bom chicka wah wah

415654837_9bf15cf432.jpg?v=0

bom chicka wah wah

You're looking for the 'male form appreciation' thread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,242 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I like men to be physically fit, and some definition is nice. But when he says he has a "6-pack," I would hope that he means stomach muscle and not what results from too much drinking!

You're looking for the 'male form appreciation' thread.

I'm not actually attracted to them, am I still able to post them under "what makes you drool"?

I've always wondered what it feels like to be drooling over new software updates.

That must be a really strange feeling.

I'm not actually attracted to them, am I still able to post them under "what makes you drool"?

I've always wondered what it feels like to be drooling over new software updates.

That must be a really strange feeling.

I don't drool over software updates, I'm stating that nerdy guys are infinitely hotter than guys who spend lots of time in the gym.

I don't drool over software updates
    ?
    I never said you did, I was referring the stereotype equated with lads like those in the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

I don't drool over software updates, I'm stating that nerdy guys are infinitely hotter than guys who spend lots of time in the gym.

can't i have both? a muscley nerd? is it possible? *dreams*
    i've been with slim toned broad guys, lanky guys, big cuddly muscly guys. definately prefer some tone and muscle but being on the cuddly side is nice too ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Nerds were always cool.

Linux > muscles.

Awesome so i can still paint my war hammer men and not be embarrised :D...
    Linux is for people who can right there own :p:)....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

emmm cuddly all the way...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭tonsiltickler

Im a swimmer and i do weights like 4 times a week maybe, dont give a crap about how i look and definitely dont lift weights to impress anyone. I just do it to feel stronger and coz i enjoy it,and this is totally off point but i like chubbier bigger girls coz theyre just way hotter. Some guys who lift weights a lot are totally full of it tho, they tend to be of the more dumber variety too:pac:

Advertisement