Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumbing materials Northern Ireland???

Options
  • 01-04-2009 4:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭

Hi,

Are there many people getting their plumbing materials in northern ireland? They seem to be a good bit cheaper. But i'm told they use imperial measuremants and in the south we use metric.
    Would this mean that I would have to get absolutely everything in imperial?
    Also, Are their any other problems I would need to look out for??

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

don't mix up the two. Stick to the Irish pipes. It might seem cheaper now but in the long run could turn into a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

shop around down here for a better price. You will find a proper plumbing supplier cheaper than "the usual places".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭gerry28

Hi,

I've priced 2 places in north and 2 in south there is a 25% price difference. I would prob prefer to buy in south because at least if i need something extra I can call into any local plumbing supplier and get what I need.
    However 25% is alot when dealing with thousands?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

gerry28 wrote: »
    Hi,

I've priced 2 places in north and 2 in south there is a 25% price difference. I would prob prefer to buy in south because at least if i need something extra I can call into any local plumbing supplier and get what I need.
    However 25% is alot when dealing with thousands?

Have you looked at Germany? For high end sanitary ware there's several online retailers, who are significantly cheaper too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭PJMCKE

It might sound a stupid question regarding plumbing. Up north/U.K. they use imperial so we are talking 1/2" and 3/4" to 1". Down south we have 22mm 15mm.
    I have seen a reply from dolan baker that metric compression fittings will fit imperial pipes and olives and it seems to make sense. What is the rest of europe using. Is it o.k. to buy without worry from Germany etc.
    Some of the experienced plumbers/ selfbuilders might have an answer.
    pjmcke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Have you priced in Hevac?
    Heatmerchants are very expensive by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

It depends on what you mean by plumbing materials but bathroom fittings sinks and toilets can all be adapted from english to irish for a couple of euro. Its tiresome runnig around if you do PM me I know exactly where you will get the fitting. Copper pipe is irish down here so they just use english irish fittings at the end.

If you ask me specifics i can answer them for example connecting a tap.

The problem with "english" taps is that most of them are pressurised so you need a presurised system which we generally dont have.

Pottery(Jacks and basin) will be fine you just might need a new ball valve.

Put in simple terms you will spend about 100 euro adapting an irish systwm to the english system but TBH with all the chinese stuff you will spend 50 euro anyway.

Waste pipe soil pipe and shores etc. All standard on both sides of the border.

Advertisement