Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wishlist for your fees to be spent on

Options
  • 01-04-2009 4:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭

With the reintroduction of fees inevitable, this thread is for suggestions as to what you would like to see those fees spent on!

I wish they were brought in sooner so we could have such things as;

-A greater law library with many more books, and many more copies of each book.

-A more modern sports centre

-Smaller, more engaging lectures for Arts and law with more continuous assessment (I can't speak for other subjects)

-Greater recreational areas

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 crashers

ok correct me if im wrong cause im not really too sure but if fees are reintroduced it doesnt mean extra money for ucd it just means the government arent paying that money.. if im wrong i do apologise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

crashers wrote: »
    ok correct me if im wrong cause im not really too sure but if fees are reintroduced it doesnt mean extra money for ucd it just means the government arent paying that money.. if im wrong i do apologise

It'd be paying the money the government could no longer afford to pay. UCD would still probably be underfunded. However, because lists are fun:
    • Re-do the inside of the library - improve the laptop areas, seperate them from non-laptop areas more
    • Paint the Arts block
    • Decent food...somewhere...anywhere
    • I agree with the better recreation areas
    • More table football tables
    • The usual books in the library etc. etc.

Also, a 300ft statue of Hugh Brady holding the salmon of knowledge, a la Fionn mac Cumhaill, towering above the lake, slowly revolving.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

• Smaller classes
    • Wider availability of core text books - people should never have to buy a text book
    • Bring back the tutorial materials print-out for law subjects
    • Improve basic facilities campus wide - benches, toilets, sockets etc
    • I'd like to see a good scholarship scheme too, to counteract the fees

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭rantyface

There are loads of scholarships! First place in any core module gets you a grand if you get over 3.7 overall. High LC points gets you 2300. About a third of people I know have gotten at least one.
    Maybe first in the class should get off fees though. That would be incentive.

I would like to not have to do group experiements all the time because of shortage of materials.
    Less broken equipment.
    A study room.
    Better food, especially for vegetarians. Pasta and sauce is not a balanced meal.
    Sticks to open windows in computer rooms when they get hot.
    More seats in science.
    More admin staff to speed things up. Maybe a few temps at peak times of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

A nightclub on campus!
      A beer subsidy for the on campus drinking establishments
    Wishful thinking and probably the worst things you could spend extra funds on, but it'd do it for me:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Beer Volcano and a Stripper Factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

rantyface wrote: »
    There are loads of scholarships! First place in any core module gets you a grand if you get over 3.7 overall. High LC points gets you 2300. About a third of people I know have gotten at least one.
    Maybe first in the class should get off fees though. That would be incentive.

I'm aware of these, I meant in the place of fees, a bit like in the US, where a student can get a scholarship to fund themselves through university, where they would be unable to pay. A bit like a grant I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

BrightEyes wrote: »

-Greater recreational areas

Some people cant be pleased! We have probably more sports clubs than any university, a theatre, pool hall, 'rec area' down in the restaurant, zen garden:rolleyes:, about 20 playing pitches and 10 astro/all weather, hockey stadium, 2 bars, running track, about 60 societies....

Definitely core textbooks would be something that i would like fees to address

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

crashers wrote: »

Yeah that is a possibility but if that possibility becomes a reality then I will not be a happy bunny :mad:
    Some people cant be pleased! We have probably more sports clubs than any university, a theatre, pool hall, 'rec area' down in the restaurant, zen garden:rolleyes:, about 20 playing pitches and 10 astro/all weather, hockey stadium, 2 bars, running track, about 60 societies....

Definitely core textbooks would be something that i would like fees to address

I mean recreational as in proper 'hang out' places. That pool place under the arts building isn't the kind of place to go to find women!

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerry87

More Zen Gardens, it took long enough before they realised they needed this one, its about time they start planning for the next one. How many thousand students sharing one zen garden? It's crazy, having to que up for zen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement