Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

G20 Summit Riots in London

Options
  • 01-04-2009 4:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭

Hi All,

Meant to get back to you all sooner (a few PM's to reply to too). This ones a quickie (I'll flesh the OP out later):

An article from the Daily Mail can be found here if you'd like to learn more:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1166349/Protesters-storm-RBS-office-thousands-anti-capitalists-ransack-City-G20-riot.html

Here's an excerpt if your not a fan of hyperlink:
    Hundreds of anarchists went on the rampage this afternoon as the G20 protests descended into violence.
    Several police officers were injured and a branch of the Royal Bank of Scotland targeted as drunken troublemakers brought chaos to London's Square Mile.
    A small number of protesters, many with their faces covered by bandanas, broke into the RBS building after windows at its entrance were smashed.
    A printer and various other items of equipment were seen

Hundreds of protesters cheered as a blue office chair was used to smash one of the blacked-out branch windows.

Graffiti was also daubed on the side of the building as other demonstrators threw eggs and flour.
    Fortunately the bank was empty because RBS had warned employees to stay away during the protests.
    There was security in place but this had to be bolstered by police as the protests turned ugly.
    An RBS spokesman said: 'We are aware of the violence... The safety of our employees and our customers is of paramount importance to us.
    'We had already taken the precautionary step of closing selected City of London branches, including the Threadneedle branch.'
    By 2.30pm, the protesters had been evicted from the premises and police

A police helicopter hovered overhead as the officers tried to get the crowds under control. They were heard chanting 'shame on you' and hurled missiles.
    Many demonstrators suffered minor injuries and were seen bleeding from the head after police beat them off with batons as they tried to force their way through.
    The clashes came just as it seemed the demonstration, which was also attended by comedian Russell Brand, would pass off peacefully.

Around 4,000 demonstrators were penned in front of the Bank of England as riot vans blocked off surround streets, preventing hundreds of others entering the square.

Masked and hooded men also tried to breach police lines to get to a climate camp in nearby Bishopsgate.

Police forced them back as they were pelted with empty beer cans, fruit and flour. At least one officer was seen with blood spurting from his head.
    Chants of 'f*** the police' and 'our street' were heard as police reinforcements were drafted in.
    A line of police holding back protesters was overwhelmed by the demonstrators, who surged forward, briefly pinning officers against the wall.

Police retaliated with a surge of their own, as helmeted

Here's a few select images:

article-1166349-04386FE0000005DC-518_468x322.jpg
    article-1166349-0438192C000005DC-435_468x286.jpg
    article-1166349-043821E8000005DC-934_468x339.jpg
    article-1166349-0437D7F2000005DC-330_468x309.jpg
    article-1166349-0438475A000005DC-500_468x738.jpg

Heres Russell Brand incidentally:

article-1166349-0437E5EC000005DC-67_468x286.jpg

Is this a sign of civil unrest yet to come in the United States? Is anyone concerned with the medias portrayal off the protestors or do you feel its justified?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'd say it's a case of a few actual protesters, a few hundred drunken scumbags wanting to smash as much stuff as possible and a load of cops, a fair few I'd say were more than heavy handed with dealing with the scumbags. All the while those in the Summit completely ignore them and try and figure out how they can keep themselves rich.

All in all, it seems no different ot any other G Summit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Sofa_King Good

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Methinks Russell Brand made a wisecrack to anothergrandfather, but had not checked that the aforementioned grandfather had 400 grandchildren, who chased Russell Brand into the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Quaver

Is this a sign of civil unrest yet to come in the United States? Is anyone concerned with the medias portrayal off the protestors or do you feel its justified?

Violence is very rarely, if ever, justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

Does anyone think that these G20 Protests are being underreported ? News coverage seems lite compared to other news items like the Olympics Torch protests..

this was also a bit sus http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/mar/30/cctv-london-government-transport-g20

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭liberal

most of the protesters romantic idealists with a black and white view of politics

I watch one young protester being interview on France 24 he siad "We're because we're anti-global warming", I wonder what his views on gravity are or if he intends to boycott the year 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

delop wrote: »
    Does anyone think that these G20 Protests are being underreported ? News coverage seems lite compared to other news items like the Olympics Torch protests..

this was also a bit sus http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/mar/30/cctv-london-government-transport-g20
    They're pretty much a non-event in the media, I'd say. There's a protest during every summit and it's always the same. People are bored of it. It's not newsworthy unless something new happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Are these not questions more suited to (say) the Politics forum?

There doesn't seem to be a conspiracy here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Veni Vedi Vici

bonkey wrote: »

If you're a skeptic then there's never a conspiracy theory.

If you're a conspiracy theorist then the G20 Summit would tie in with an elitist globalist agenda (bankers, new world order, illuminati, bilderberg et al.)

I don't believe topics such as these might be well received in the suggested forum. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

If you're a skeptic then there's never a conspiracy theory.

If you're a conspiracy theorist then the G20 Summit would tie in with an elitist globalist agenda (bankers, new world order, illuminati, bilderberg et al.)

I don't believe topics such as these might be well received in the suggested forum. ;)

Em okay. What CT have you presented here exactly?

• Advertisement

meglome wrote: »
    Em okay. What CT have you presented here exactly?

I'm not presenting a conspiracy theory so much as I'm presenting a conspiracy theory genre:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=g20+summit+conspiracy

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=g20+summit+protests+conspiracy

In light of the recent protests I felt a discussion might be worthwhile.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

I'd concur that a discussion is merited, there would be no point in trying to have the same discussion in the Politics forum as we would just get shouted down as conspiracyloons instead of being engaged, although it would be interesting to invite some of the vetrans of politics here to engage in a debate.

G20 is bildaberg for the cameras, everything is preordained before the meetings start.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I'd concur that a discussion is merited, there would be no point in trying to have the same discussion in the Politics forum as we would just get shouted down as conspiracyloons instead of being engaged, although it would be interesting to invite some of the vetrans of politics here to engage in a debate.

G20 is bildaberg for the cameras, everything is preordained before the meetings start.

Ok so you want to discuss something here that is not a CT because if you discuss it in the appropriate forum people wont see things the way you want to?

This forum is not a doodle pad for people who happen to have an interest in CTs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Agreed.

Thread moved to Politics.

Politics Mods feel free to return/lock/delete.

Cheers

6th

well yeah, and I await confirmation of my position since you've moved it.

the discusion of the G20 encompasses many varying points of view, with many people aproaching the subject from many points of view, we in the CT community have our point of view on this and as such the CT forum was established for the purpose of discussing this, the Politics forum has its own charter wit different rules and different Mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I can't see the politics in this myself. Summit with lots of world leaders , large groups get together to protest with same old slogans peppered with a bit of violence. At at time like this one would assume that the crisis might have registered, yet they offer no ideas and seem happy to remain locked in that bizarre 1970s twilight zone of pseudo anti-state far-left delusions and football hooliganism.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

I thought by starting the thread in CT, that the conversation would lean towards the CT, and I wanted the CT guys to contribute....

Sometimes it feels like this BB gets Mod'ed for the sake of Mod'ing , and thats not a CT...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Is anyone concerned with the medias portrayal off the protestors or do you feel its justified?
    I've long been a little concerned with the way the Daily Mail portrays a lot of things but that's why I don't read it. Contrast the story you quoted with, say, the Guardian's coverage of the same events.

sceptre wrote: »
    I've long been a little concerned with the way the Daily Mail portrays a lot of things but that's why I don't read it. Contrast the story you quoted with, say, the Guardian's coverage of the same events.

Noted. I was also concerned about how the press seemed to be on standby like a frenzied flock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I was also concerned about how the press seemed to be on standby like a frenzied flock.

The press are "on standby" because the occurrence of these events are almost as predicatable as the occurrence of the summit itself.

delop wrote: »
    I thought by starting the thread in CT, that the conversation would lean towards the CT, and I wanted the CT guys to contribute....

Sometimes it feels like this BB gets Mod'ed for the sake of Mod'ing , and thats not a CT...

I'm of the same understanding. Even the most soft core conspiracy theorist will recognize the significance of the summits in terms of globalism and a one world government. The links in my last post spells this out. Its the equivilant of redirecting a thread on sloth and repentance from the Christianity forum to the economic forums.

I had pointed out to 6th that an application of the same logic would rule out President Obama and Lisbon Treaty conspiracy discussions.

The press are "on standby" because the occurrence of these events are almost as predicatable as the occurrence of the summit itself.

Yep. The pictures have offered little to the credibility of the cause of these 'extremist anarchists'.

Many folk on the Alex Jones (I know he doesn't hold a lot of weight around here :pac:) website maintain that these tantrums of civil unrest are exactly what the 'elitists' are relying on. In effect, they believe that it will justify the implementation of more stringent counter-measures against protesters in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

always nice to see the professional "anarchists" getting wheeled out for this one. rather than having anything real or relevant to give to people its just an opportunity to smash some **** up isn't it?

co-incidentally what do these people do when they are not protesting? do they work? if not do they accept handouts from the state they so readily despise? all a bit hypocritical really.

Bloody amateur Anarchists

Should try a more classy approach

the Chasers :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

An article from the Daily Mail can be found here if you'd like to learn more
    I didn't think anyone was under the illusion that reading the Daily Mail would further their understanding of anything. Oh except that all of England's problems are caused by the wilfully unemployed, immigrants and paedophiles and that all members of these groups should be round up and shot.
    Here's a few select images:
    Precisely. A few select images. Why not post some up of what was mostly a peaceful protest?
    I think it's a sign of protest at the current political and economic system that is long overdue in many countries.

I'm more worried about the steady loss of civil rights in the UK and the increasingly unsettling police tactics including:
    -forcing people to give their names and have their photo taken of anyone attending any sort of rally and keeping a database of these details.
    -the disrespect and distrust shown to members of the public and members of the media when engaged in entirely lawful behaviour.
    -new police techniques like "kettling" that hem people in to confined areas and don't let them out

I just hope this sort of police attitude doesn't make it's way over here, as it did briefly during the "Reclaim the Streets" demonstration about 5 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,691 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

taconnol wrote: »
    Precisely. A few select images. Why not post some up of what was mostly a peaceful protest?

Precisely because a peaceful process (unless carried through right to the end) is not newsworthy. IF the protesters want to be taken seriously, then they have to sort out their side of things first, and that means weeding out the undesirables, the conspiracy nuts, the anarchists, who will undermine them at every turn in every interview they give.

If they can't stand up against themselves, what chance do they have against the governments of the world?

It's like saying after Hiroshima was bombed, why not post images of the 99.9% of Japan that was fine?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

astrofool wrote: »
    Precisely because a peaceful process (unless carried through right to the end) is not newsworthy.
    Correct.
    IF the protesters want to be taken seriously, then they have to sort out their side of things first, and that means weeding out the undesirables, the conspiracy nuts, the anarchists, who will undermine them at every turn in every interview they give.
    You're making the mistake of viewing the protestors as one homogenous group. There were people from many different groups, complaining about a wide variety of issues. Why should one group have to take responsibility for the rest in order for their points to be taken seriously?

We should have the intelligence to be able to view the protestors as the separate groups and individuals they are, not simplifly the matter and lump them all in together - that's just being lazy.
    If they can't stand up against themselves, what chance do they have against the governments of the world?
    This comment is just strange.
    It's like saying after Hiroshima was bombed, why not post images of the 99.9% of Japan that was fine?
    And this is just silly. The vast majority of protestors were peaceful. The obsession of a few media outlets with focusing in on the few violent protestors does nothing but pander to their audience and obscure the reality of the situation. And it detracts away from the core message of the protests. How convenient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I presume many have already moved on to Strasbourg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,691 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

taconnol wrote: »
    You're making the mistake of viewing the protestors as one homogenous group. There were people from many different groups, complaining about a wide variety of issues. Why should one group have to take responsibility for the rest in order for their points to be taken seriously?

The protestors themselves are making the mistake of allowing these fringe groups protest alongside them, and as long as the peaceful protestors allow this to happen, they will get tarred with the same brush, and their message will never get through.

I certainly wouldn't respect an organisation or company who had a few rogue agents who constantly showed them in a bad light, without them getting excluded/fired. I don't see why anyone should respect the group of protestors until they can organise themselves to get rid of the bad elements (I hazard a guess that it's due to a misled belief of strength in numbers and timidness to stand up to these people).

And I wouldn't go as far to call it a media obsession when these riots are as predictable as the seasons, images of people fighting and rioting gets ratings, simple as that.

Anyway, your comment was why don't they show images of the 99% peaceful protestors and the answer is that nobody cares or wants to watch and listen to the peaceful protestors when they know the good stuff (riots) is just around the corner.

Advertisement