Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iphone 3g wifi problems

Options
  • 01-04-2009 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭

For some odd reason, my phone has been misbehaving recently. Bluetooth not synching up with the carkit it had been paired to for weeks happened intermittenly. Now wifi seems to not be working, failing to see the wirless network right next to it. Before i do a factory reset, any suggestions? It's still under warranty, so can bring it back if reset doesnt sort it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

I presume you have hard reset the phone?
    And you have checked that bluetooth and WiFi haven't been turned off in the menus?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Victor_M wrote: »
    I presume you have hard reset the phone?
    And you have checked that bluetooth and WiFi haven't been turned off in the menus?

Yes, i have done a hard reset, didnt work, then did a restore to factory settings, didnt work. Tested on other wifi networks, no networks can be found anywhere. And yes, both wifi and bluetooth are on, though i did turn them off and then on again to see if it made a difference (which it didnt).

Went to carphone warehouse where i bought it, they did a few checks, confirmed it wasnt working, and put me in touch with apple support phone number.

Rang them on the iphone, 1st apple agent kept insisting that if i reset my network settings on my router, that would fix the problem. Never mind the fact that i was standing in the middle of a large shopping centre with numerous wifi networks which i could no longer see, somehow my one home wifi access point was the issue.....

I called back from a landline at home, as instructed, and the 2nd agent was more helpful, and agreed it needed to be picked up to be examined by one of their engineers. A courier will arrive within 3 business days, and then my phone will be away for 7-10 working days...sniff.....

In the meantime, cpw gave me a loaner phone, though its a very basic nokia phone. No spare iphone for me im afraid! They were helpful though, cant fault them, as they even confirmed they would replace my "tuffskin" protective thing i have on the iphone (which i bought from them), if the phone needed to be replaced, as the skin isnt transferrable.

Will update in 10-13 working days....

oh in case anyone wonders, phone is bog standard 2.2.1 at the moment 16gb 3g.

story gets odder! Wifi worked for one minute or so last night, then stopped. Worked for a few seconds this morning, then stopped again.
    nothing like an intermittent bug to annoy me. Hope to god it stays properly broke when it gets picked up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Columba Rad

I have an iPhone here with the same problem. Sometimes after a network settings reset I would be able to get into the Wifi, but still unable to connect to my router. Sometimes the Wifi menu is grayed out altogether.

The iPhone is a 3G 2.2 16GB. I've tried different versions of firmware too, problem is still there.

Odd!

I have an iPhone here with the same problem. Sometimes after a network settings reset I would be able to get into the Wifi, but still unable to connect to my router. Sometimes the Wifi menu is grayed out altogether.

The iPhone is a 3G 2.2 16GB. I've tried different versions of firmware too, problem is still there.

Odd!
    courier arrived with bag today, sending it off now. i'd ring apple if i were you!

• Advertisement

Apple work fast! its on the way back now

Step 1 - Request
    Product received (06-Apr-2009)
    Shipped via UPS with tracking number XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Step 2 - Service
    Issue identified (06-Apr-2009)

Step 3 - Return
    Replacement Product Shipped (06-Apr-2009)
    Shipped via UPS with tracking number XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Great service from apple! Sent off phone on friday, tuesday morning i have a brand new iphone in my hands :P

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

phill106 wrote: »
    Great service from apple! Sent off phone on friday, tuesday morning i have a brand new iphone in my hands :P

That's pretty damn impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭CivilEx

What about your original issue - does the wifi now work ok? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 lickirishallsor

I had similar issues with my first gen and 3g iphones, hard resets usually worked, and also on one occasion I had to restore to fix it.

• Advertisement

CivilEx wrote: »
    What about your original issue - does the wifi now work ok? :D

Yes, works perfectly now.
    got a letter saying that after thorough diagnostic testing, it has been determined that a replacement iphone (enclosed) is necessary. Also its got a new serial number, so i have to keep a record of my old one, as my old one still has 10 months of warranty left, while new one would otherwise just have 90 days (warranty carrys on to new phone).

Also for anyone else having this issue, found this info about others having same problem here

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/04/08/iphone_wifi_again/

Advertisement