Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mysterious Jets Over Dublin

• 01-04-2009 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Has anyone seen strange jets in the skies over Dublin today? Looked to me like either an Dassault Alpha Jet, Aermacchi MB-339 or BAE Hawk.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭Irish_Army01

Mr-McBain wrote: »
    Has anyone seen strange jets in the skies over Dublin today? Looked to me like either an Dassault Alpha Jet, Aermacchi MB-339 or BAE Hawk.

They're Alpha Jets...They're common visitors to the don as of late. Today is the 4-5 time time I've seen them since Christmas..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

They're Alpha Jets...They're common visitors to the don as of late. Today is the 4-5 time time I've seen them since Christmas..

how come? any particular reason?

neilled wrote: »
    how come? any particular reason?

Training flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Mr-McBain

I know a few countries still operate them but are these ones French? I couldn't see the markings on them.

I know a few countries still operate them but are these ones French? I couldn't see the markings on them.

Italian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Mr-McBain

Didn't think the Italians flew Alpha Jets. You sure it wasn't an MB-339 if it's Italian?

Didn't think the Italians flew Alpha Jets. You sure it wasn't an MB-339 if it's Italian?

I'm sure;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

The Italians never Operated the Alpha Jet, also the Aircraft that went into Baldonnel today were French Air Force and they routed through RAF Valley in Wales today at 15:30 one of them did a go around on 29.

European Operators are/were:

Belgium Alpha Jet E
    France Alpha Jet E
    Germany Alpha Jet A
    United Kingdom Operator QuiniteQ Alpha Jet A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭fireplace1982

Irish Army 01, although i appreciate your certainty and obvious expertise, the jets are/were french.

Irish Army 01, although i appreciate your certainty and obvious expertise, the jets are/were french.

Every one know that the "Alpha Jet" is French. What is the Flag/Insignia on the Side of the Alpha Jets I posted??

• Advertisement

Okay...one more time... the jets that came in today were French. That is the answer to the original post...french....as in, from france....French Air Force Jets....flown by French Pilots from France....french!;)

Okay..I'm Man enough to say I was incorrect..

I misinterpreted the Circular National Insignia.:o

Although As a past Aircraft enthusiast(16 years ago) I should have known that Italy don't use Alpha Jets..:o

Okay..I'm Man enough to say I was incorrect..

I misinterpreted the Circular National Insignia.:o

Although As a past Aircraft enthusiast(16 years ago) I should have known that Italy don't use Alpha Jets..:o

There there its ok,

Italian Roundel Is :http://www.scramble.nl/it.htm

French Roundel Is:http://www.scramble.nl/fr.htm

Steyr wrote: »
    There there its ok,

Italian Roundel Is :http://www.scramble.nl/it.htm

French Roundel Is:http://www.scramble.nl/fr.htm

No need to be condescending, I Manned up and said I was wrong.

No need to be condescending, I Manned up and said I was wrong.

Im just joking with you thats all.:)

Here here Army 01. Well done sir, it shows class putting your hand up to an error.

Here here Army 01. Well done sir, it shows class putting your hand up to an error.

Indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

Yeh guys, stop squabling............They were Franch Air Force Alpha Jets that flew into Casement. I was able to photograph the last one flying over my house this afternoon, see link to Boards Aviation below, I have some photos of them posted there...............

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=59651114#post59651114

Training flights.

Fair enough, I just assumed they wouldn't be that interested in training in Ireland as there aren't any "little friends" for them to go up into the sky and play with. Still perhaps they were training for landing in dark, wet and miserable conditions..... which we have plenty of!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

French? huh, that's what they want you think! It's all a conspiracy I tell you.:eek:
    I just assumed they wouldn't be that interested in training in Ireland
    The French (if that's who they really are:eek:) have always come to Ireland on training flights with various kinds of aircraft over the years. It probably gives them useful overwater training and I imagine they're well entertained in Baldonnel. The Americans were regular visitors too over the years. Even the British army used to fly in in their Islanders and DHC Beavers right through the recent unpleasantness. To many foreigners. Ireland seems a bit exotic believe it or not.

• Advertisement

French? huh, that's what they want you think! It's all a conspiracy I tell you.:eek:

The French (if that's who they really are:eek:) have always come to Ireland on training flights with various kinds of aircraft over the years. It probably gives them useful overwater training and I imagine they're well entertained in Baldonnel. The Americans were regular visitors too over the years. Even the British army used to fly in in their Islanders and DHC Beavers right through the recent unpleasantness. To many foreigners. Ireland seems a bit exotic believe it or not.

You can add the RAF to that too with Wessex Helicopters and The Norwegians with SeaKings into Bal and RN to Cork with their SeaKings.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭daithiolabhrai

this is all a bit dodge....i don't want any foreign military jets flying over my country!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

this is all a bit dodge....i don't want any foreign military jets flying over my country!!!

Stealing our airspace! :pac:

ROFL:pac:

They first need permission to enter our Airspace but as they are Mil it has more than likely been approved ages ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Hal1 wrote: »
    Stealing our airspace! :pac:

And our wimmin!We have no chance on the pull against a fighter jet pilot:o

And our wimmin!We have no chance on the pull against a fighter jet pilot:o

Against Pierre ze French Fighter Pilot - you stand non chance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭return guide

c'est la guerre

God help us if we get people like Juan from Spain or Paulo from Italy..Oh wait..:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Maybe they were coming in to collect Pamela Izevbekhai :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Maybe they were coming in to collect Pamela Izevbekhai :D:D:D

:) Either that or it's the build up for Lisbon round II.

2 more FAF Aplha jets deprated the Don this morning i believe.

Advertisement