Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to get a boat from Sydney to Ireland

Options
  • 01-04-2009 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

I am looking for a company that would travel to Ireland from Sydney by boat but I cant seem to find one... but I know a few exist

Would you be able to let me know the name of one?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Pick up any sailing magazine in your local newsagents and there'll be buckets of them. That's not meant to sound unhelpful btw, I reckon it's your best chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

A few years back in a bar in Melbourne I met a chap I used to work with in the US. When I bumped into him, he'd been on the road for eleven months since leaving Dublin, and had yet to step on to a plane.

He's sailed to the UK, taken the train across to the the continent, and subsequently travelled via road/rail across Europe and Asia before getting to Singapore (I think). He then worked on a few freighters (with no seafaring experience beforehand), moving down through Indonesia, PNG, and then onto Darwin in the NT. He'd spent a few months trekking around Australia, and in Melbourne he was hanging out waiting to catch a freighter to Auckland, and then onto Santiago if he could arrange it.

From what I could gather he paid a nominal fee to get aboard the freighter, and then earned his keep by doing menial tasks during the voyage, and he got fed and watered during the trip.

The whole trip sounded amazing, although I got the impression that while it was an incredible experience, it was very challenging at times. It doesn't sound that this is what you're looking for, but it's certainly one way of doing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Do a google search for "freighter travel" and you'll get a number of companies. Lots of freighters take up to 12 paying passengers on a trip. The price is pretty steep though- I had a look a couple of years ago and it was cheaper to get a 1st class air ticket. You'd end up in England too because few of them go to Ireland. Still you do get meals and a room for 4 weeks or so, and you might even get to see some pirates near Somalia...

Advertisement