Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shrubs , trees suitable for heavy clay soil- wexford

Options
  • 01-04-2009 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭

As title suggests, we are looking for advice on shrubs and trees suitable for a .66 acre site in wexford. We have ditches sorted, using combination of Whitethorn, field maple, with silver birches every 10 metres. Back perimeter is lined with Alder ( slightly wet there).

We have planted some Cottoneaster, Kilmarnock willow, Berberis. All doing fine, but rock rose and other small trees( unsure of name, orange poppy type flowers) all died over the winter, dead as dodo's.

All suggestions welcome.

Secman

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

The shrub with the orange poppy like flowers was probably Potentilla, it and the rock rose ( Cistus?) would not survive long in heavy wet clay.
    In my heavy Wexford marl the best doers are, Forsythia, Kolkwitzia, Philadelphus, Hydrangea, Rhododendron and Magnolia, Cherries and Flowering Crab also do well in the vicinity, although plants I expected to cope well, Ribes and Lavatera popped their clogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Thanks for the reply, your list would suggest that your soil is slightly acidic, It just occured to me that we never actually tested soil for PH values. On the list for this weekend !

Thanks again.

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Look into applying gypsum to the clay soil and then building a raised bed upwards using rich organic material. The gypsum helps to break the clagging tightness of the clay, allowing plants to root down into it and releasing a lot of the excellent nutrients it holds.

I have clay soil that you could make bloody plates out of. :( But mine is dry, because I'm in Australia, so it's like concrete. Rosemary loves it, but I think its the dryness that does it.

secman wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, your list would suggest that your soil is slightly acidic, It just occured to me that we never actually tested soil for PH values. On the list for this weekend !

Thanks again.

Secman

PH about 6.5. This is quite common in the former macamores of Wexford. I've found that the best way to deal with it is to plant what will grow and make the best of it, trying to alter the soil structure is like painting the Forth Bridge.
    You don't say where you are in Wexford but if you are in the more populous area, say between Gorey and Wexford town, then this is the type of soil you are likely to have.
    Making raised beds and improving drainage is, of course, an option but whether you'd want to do that over the entire site is something else. Good luck.

on the Killenagh to Kilmuckridge road, definitely Macamore, reading of 6.5 what does that make it ? NEUTRAL ? ACIDIC ?

Thanks

Secman

• Advertisement

secman wrote: »
    on the Killenagh to Kilmuckridge road, definitely Macamore, reading of 6.5 what does that make it ? NEUTRAL ? ACIDIC ?

Thanks

Secman

You're not far from me I'm in Riverchapel. PH 6.5 would be slightly acidic, PH 7 is neutral, anything above is alkaline, below is acidic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Wiki's got a good soil PH article here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soil_pH

Thanks all, now to source some plants !

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

A few years back, we landscaped an exposed site near Blackwater, in Wexford. We couldn't believe the ferocity of the winds coming in from the sea. One shrub (2 varieties) did extremely well as a screen (reached 2 m within 2 years which was pretty good given the site aspects, now even taller and dense) was Olearia Haastii and Olearia Macrodonta.

At a lower level Berberis Darwinii was also very successful.

Advertisement