Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debs Pressure

Options
  • 01-04-2009 5:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭

The other day a girl i know i asked me to her debs in september, so i accepted and was thinking "happy days here", the next day i found out she had been all upset that i hadnt asked her to mine in return!?

I didnt start the whole debs-asking process why should i be forced to return it?,

Debs etiquette is wrecking my head totally!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

The debs is SO much drama.
    Can't believe it's all starting already!

I remember my friend last year was in the same situation as the girl; she asked a guy hoping for a returned invite.. was awfully upset when she didn't get it.

Meh.

Don't invite the girl back if you don't want to.
    Basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

oh the advantages of being only one secondary school in my town!:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭celtic723

who cares Ireland drew. WOOOOOO:)

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

yes they did!!
    anyway debs...had mine laste year aswell as this year...Glorified nightout in a tux

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I won't be going to my debs :D

€70 for a ticket (I'll have to buy 2) = 140
    Drinks and stuff = 50-80
    Rent tux = 80-100

Total = €270 - €320

I love my money too much :o (and in these recession times, it's hard to come by)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Larkin501 wrote: »
    I love my money too much :o (and in these recession times, it's hard to come by)
    Money is just paper until you spend it. : P
    That said I entirely agree, debs was a total ripoff... Though I've a friend who actually bought a tux instead of renting it, and he says it's paid off in various formal college things since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

The other day a girl i know i asked me to her debs in september, so i accepted and was thinking "happy days here", the next day i found out she had been all upset that i hadnt asked her to mine in return!?

I didnt start the whole debs-asking process why should i be forced to return it?,

I wasnt asked in return, didnt expect to either. Unless there is no other person that you have in mind, then you may think over it, but if there's somebody out there your thinking of asking, well ask that person - dont be tied down due to some silly little etiquette.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Strange. I would've thought she had better things to worry about like her future than being asked out to some stupid dance.

I think the Debs is just American bull****. I'm not even going to mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

It's a graduation, not a debs.;)

While it may be a glorified night out in a suit, up here it's the last official night out with all the school lads before we break up for college. There'll be photos in like all the local papers, photos in your house like forever and yeah it'll be expensive but **** it. It'll be one night that you'll remember for ages, if not for the rest of your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

who cares? just aask one of your friends

• Advertisement

It's a graduation, not a debs.;)

While it may be a glorified night out in a suit, up here it's the last official night out with all the school lads before we break up for college. There'll be photos in like all the local papers, photos in your house like forever and yeah it'll be expensive but **** it. It'll be one night that you'll remember for ages, if not for the rest of your life.
    Perhaps this isn't the case in all the schools, but in mine we had our "graduation" during April/May, with a mass and lovely speeches etc., and the debs was just a pissup in October with fancy clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Perhaps this isn't the case in all the schools, but in mine we had our "graduation" during April/May, with a mass and lovely speeches etc., and the debs was just a pissup in October with fancy clothes.

That's known as the grad mass here in the shticks!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

I still don't have a date yet... T_T

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭--homeslice--

the debs was just a pissup in October with fancy clothes.

haha definitely! i bought a dress for the first debs i went to, spent a good bitta casheesh on it and NEVER wore it again! the next debs, i went a bit cheaper, with some intention of wearing it again... NEVER happened! the one after that i thought ah f**k this, i'm goin to tk maxx!
    I WORE THAT DRESS AGAIN!

for my debs in august, i'll deffo be hitting tk again!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭GlasnevinRed

TK Maxx is definitely the place to go. Bought a tux there for some formal thing a while back. Then my debs anf I'll be wearing it to the <snip> now aswell. 130 I think it worked out at to buy.:D

EDIT: Please don't mention any events with a connection to MCD- please see the sticky at the top of the forum for more details -Piste

haha definitely! i bought a dress for the first debs i went to, spent a good bitta casheesh on it and NEVER wore it again! the next debs, i went a bit cheaper, with some intention of wearing it again... NEVER happened! the one after that i thought ah f**k this, i'm goin to tk maxx!
    I WORE THAT DRESS AGAIN!

for my debs in august, i'll deffo be hitting tk again!:D
    I spent a fair bit on my debs dress (well, for me anyway, I probably spent about half as much as most other people did), but I'm intending on wearing it to every formal event that arises until people are sick to death with it. The idea of wearing a different dress to every affair is madness, to me. Guys can reuse tuxes, damnit I'm gonna reuse dresses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

Talk of the debs already?! anywho
    yeah my friend asked me to her debs in august so I still have to get a tucks... Plus I need to save some money to be able to buy drinks and stuff. This might be a stupid question but I'm guessing I'll have to shower my friend with drinks for the whole night??.. well if she wants them of course.

As for my debs ours isn't booked yet but i'm not hesitating into asking someone yet as I don't know who I should take. Also I might just meet somebody who I want to take. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

Its all about the sexual pleasure of the after party with some young one.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭matty55

does anyone know where I could rent a sports car for the debs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

This is why I'm not goin. Too much hassle, too much effort

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

matty55 wrote: »

AHA! How embarrassing.
    Get the bus, that way people won't secretly laugh at you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

matty55 wrote: »

You da man, dawg!

Advertisement