Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

condensed milk

• 01-04-2009 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭

where will I be able to buy ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Anywhere, tesco, dunnes, supervalu.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭susy

I've actually had tonnes of trouble trying to find condensed milk lately, have tried a couple of Supervalu's and Dunnes. Maybe Im looking in the wrong section -baking supplies with stuff like golden syrup, sugar, flour?

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

in the city centre,in non-irish shops,like one is called spice land and I think they have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I have about forty tins of it, if you are in Dublin City I can meet you any afternoon that suits, and you can have as many as you like.

I'm serious by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

susy wrote: »
    Maybe Im looking in the wrong section -baking supplies with stuff like golden syrup, sugar, flour?
    Just ask at the desk. In my tesco it is with the jellies and icecream cones & syrups & custard & tinned fruit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

spotted it in aldi the other day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    spotted it in aldi the other day

really, i've seen cans of evaporated milk in Aldi, never Condensed Milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

As an aside, every recipe where a can of condensed milk is placed in boiling water to give toffee always highlights the need for the water level to cover the tin. What happens if the water level drops too low?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

As an aside, every recipe where a can of condensed milk is placed in boiling water to give toffee always highlights the need for the water level to cover the tin. What happens if the water level drops too low?

I think the tin can explode or something. Don't let the water drop too low :pac:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Faith wrote: »
    I think the tin can explode or something. Don't let the water drop too low :pac:.
    Yes, it is like a bain marie, you are using the water to limit the cans temp to 100C max. If the tin is in contact with the bottom of the saucepan it can get to over 100C but the water can never go above boiling at normal atmospheric pressure, so the boiling water actually cools the hot can down to 100C.

If the water is gone you can boil the milk which vapourises and raises the pressure of the can, then it can explode like a bomb, the sugars would be scorching hot and cover you causing a nasty sticky burn, and the metal could give off cutting shards like a grenade. So be careful!

I remember guys in cubscouts putting full tins of beans on the fire and them going off like bombs.

If the tin is not entirely covered you should be fine (e.g. halfway up), better safe than sorry though, so use lots of water.

• Advertisement
Advertisement