Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Sale of Work in St. Josephs

• 01-04-2009 6:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭

Seeing as there’s all these reminiscing threads I’d thought I’d see if anybody remembers or was ever at the ‘Sale of Work’ in St. Josephs School. It was in the 70s and ran for one weekend a year – Friday night and all day Saturday and Sunday. There were probably only about 30 stalls there but I remember looking forward to it each year and spending the entire weekend there – my parents volunteered on various stalls.

There used to be a raffle every few minutes with a giant wheel and really bad prizes – like a bottle of Guinness or something. I also remember in one of the rooms there was a stall where there was like a miniature wooden arena with about 50 doors and as soon as all the tickets were sold a little white mouse was released and if he went in though your door you won. Used to love that one. There were stalls with clothes, toys, drink, food and of course – those pictures made with nails and string that were all the rage at the time. Oh Yeah almost forgot about comics and books - lots of those. Those were the days.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Did this run into the early 80's? Or was it revived at any time in the 80's? I seem to remember this but I would have been under 5 in the 70's.

I do remember that they sometimes ran sales of works in the playground at St Thomas school as well :) There were loads of baked cakes, you could buy a goldfish and I too remember buying older issues of comics for 5p :) Happy days. I was a fan of Buster comic iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭Dufresne

Its possible alright that it ran into the early 80's although at that stage I was probably 'too cool' to go - teenager and all that. There are still regular sales of works on around the place - in fact I think theres one on this weekend in the village (St. Andrews perhaps) and the ones at Peamount Hospital and St Raphaels are still on every Summer - oh yeah you can still win a goldfish at the Raphaels one;)

The St. Josephs one just brings back the memories though.

Advertisement